Capstan Blue

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLogo-Mat

Reaction score
I've got a hankerin' for some Capstan. How does the new stuff hold up to the original?

Never tried the old stuff, but I did try the new this past weekend.  Great smoke, great full flavor.  Reminds me of A softer FVF.  I smoked it my large meer, so by the end of the bowl I was feeling a little of lady N.  I really enjoyed it.

I posted a review of the new Capstan in the "What are you smoking now?" section awhile back which basically indicated that being a Capstan blue smoker for the last 35 years or so I found the new Macbaren incarnation to be virtually identical to the wonderful stuff I remember from the 1970's and 80's. That being said, be aware that the tobacco has gone through several different incarnations over the past 40 years. The really old Capstan that came in 3.5 oz. containers back in the 1970's and early 80's was put out by Wills and was a flake but, when rubbed out is was extremely fine cut an smoked rather hot, but, and this is a big but, it was Virginia tobacco sourced out of Africa and had a completely different cut and character compared to the Capstan most of us fondly remember in the 50 gram rectangular tins from the 1980's and 90's. Anyway, the new stuff from Macbarens tastes the same to me as the later flakes. But do not spread the word too widely or it may go the way of Gawiths FVF and become extremely scarce. Happy puffing!

TheLo - the Capstan Navy Blue is pretty close to the old stuff. And if you like a lighter, bright VA like Dunhill (Light) Flake, try the yellow tin. Nobody seems to talk about it, but it won the Virginias category at the CORPS2014 blind tasting.

hp
les

Les - I concur with the suggestion re the Capstan Yellow Flake. It's an absolutely excellent item and I can see why it won the blind test. Its manners are impecible and the flavors very fine. It DOES seem that when there are a couple of cousin blends side by side that the pop poll goes to the brunette not the blond...meaning the darker of two I choices will most often win out over a lighter, brighter item. Whatever. I haven't had the chance to try the Blue yet, but the Yellow, as noted, is a fine smoke.

So much great stuff out there.

Blackhorse and lestrout: Well, after hailing the virtues of Capstan blue and hearing your recommendations to try the yellow I had to do it and you know what, it is fantastically tasty!!! It is a bit sweeter than the blue and I was quite surprised at the mellowness of it as the light Virginias sometimes heat up on my tongue a bit too much but this one is a definite winner. As I mentioned in my initial comments on the blue, I recall it from the old days and the current version is very similar. However, W.D. and H.O Wills also offered a yellow version back in the 80's but it was so light and green as to be vacant of much flavor. This new yellow is roundly superior to the old product and both the blue and the yellow are worth cellaring an rotating. Thanks for the great tip. Without it I probably would never had tried the Capstan yellow.

Blackhorse, LOL on the green but it is ironic you mention this idea as last night when I was smoking a bowlful of blue it ran across my mind that it might be interesting to mix them to experience the result. I will report later on this experience. Thanks for the fun reply.