Capt. Earle's Ten Russians

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Centurian 803

Reaction score
On a recent trip to my favorite B & M I picked up a 2 oz tin of Capt. Earles’s Ten Russians, a Hermit tobacco blended by Cornell and Diehl. It was the label that drew my attention. Ever since reading the Wreck of the Hesperus I’ve had a fascination with the image of a ship’s captain, clutching the wheel with his trusty briar clenched in his teeth. Perhaps not the best reason to buy a tobacco, but there you have it.
Ten Russians is a Krumble Kake comprised of Cavendish, Virginia, Latakia and Orientals. This was my first experience with a Krumble Kake and I was a bit unsure of the method for preparing it to smoke. I found that I could break off pieces, which then were easily rubbed out for loading into the bowl. I also found that about ten minutes or so of drying time cuts down on the number of relights required.
When I opened the tin I was immediately transported back to mid-November 1973 and the banks of Melton Hill Lake. Some buddies and I were canoeing down the Clinch River and had camped for the night. The aroma from that tin was so much like the campfire smell of that night that I could close my eyes, feel the breeze off the water and hear the crackling of the flames.
I must admit that I didn’t like this tobacco at all the first time I smoked it. I wanted to like it but it was terrible. As with so many other tobaccos, the smoking experience was nothing like the tin aroma suggested. So, I put it aside to try another day.
About a week later I decided to give it another try. It was early morning and I had a fresh pot of coffee made so I poured a cup, filled my GBD Bulldog, and repaired to the screened in porch. I was about half way through my coffee and maybe a third of the way down the bowl when I suddenly realized that I was thoroughly enjoying this smoke. No, let me rephrase that, I was enjoying this smoke enormously! It was like flipping a switch. One moment I was having another ho hum smoke and the next I was savoring a rich sensuous experience. Each puff on the pipe filled my mouth with prodigious clouds of creamy smoke that seemed to have texture and body. At first it tasted the way a campfire smells, slightly acidic and tangy. But then it developed a flavor that was earthy with a slightly buttery note.
If ever there was a perfect pairing of tobacco and coffee I believe this is it. I’ve smoked maybe ten bowls of Ten Russians by now, about half with coffee, and although it is superb by itself, it is even better while enjoying a robust cup of coffee.
One cautionary note, however. This is a tobacco that is best sipped slowly and savored. If puffed too vigorously it will kick your ass. At least it did mine. More than once I had to sit my pipe aside and come back to it after the queasiness passed. If treated with proper respect though there are no problems.
I heartily recommend this tobacco to you, my brothers, and look forward to trying some of the other Capt. Earle’s blends.

Cavendish, Virginia, Latakia and Orientals...i like everything that's in it! funny how the right drink will balance out a smoke. for a slightly bitter virginia, a boubon takes it from okay to fantastic. (bourbon does that with women too!)

What a great review. Funny how a blend comes in to its own a week or more after cracking the tin.

First off, it's good to see another Knoxville area smoker on here!
I was eyeing a tin of this myself at Smoky's last week but ended up getting their last tin of 1792 instead. I like heavier Balkans a lot (Odyssey is close to being my favorite blend) but I sometime feel like there's just too many of them out there. I am, however, attracted to your description of its strength, since one complaint I have about English mixtures is that the nicotine level rarely rises to a level I find satisfying.
I'm glad to hear that you really enjoyed it, though!

Funny how that works out, sometimes. I smoke Ten Russians with coffee, too. Nightwatch, on the other hand, calls for scotch.

Thanks for posting the review. I've tried all of the Capt Earle's blends and think Ten Russians is the best in that line. I have a high tolerance for nicotine, but even so, all of the posts at the TR site had me a bit concerned. For me however, the nicotine was not as powerful as I thought it would be. I love the krumble kake format and the flavor is awesome. In the other Capt Earle's blends, I didn't feel like the tobacco components ever hit their top notes (the flavors seemed muted), but in Ten Russians they did. This blend is a keeper for sure.

Ten Russians is a great blend, as are all of the Capt. Earle's line. I had forgotten about it since I've stopped buying from C&D, but I think it's time to revisit them. Thanks for the reminder.

A brilliant blend. Super cool smoking, lovely flavors, easy to light...

Epic.

I have had Ten Russians around for quite some time. 4-5 years at least. I like it so much that I bought an 8 oz tin of it for the future. I think it is one of the better blends that Hermit puts out! You have to love Latakia, but that is true for most of Hermits blends.

I'm a big fan of this blend - after picking up a bunch of 2 oz tins I was happy to find that if you contact Hermit directly you will find a great price on one pound blocks as well as a very nice holiday 2010 blend :)

This blend is so tasty you will swear it contains at least 11 Russians.

gandalfpc":g7o7cdkj said:
I'm a big fan of this blend - after picking up a bunch of 2 oz tins I was happy to find that if you contact Hermit directly you will find a great price on one pound blocks as well as a very nice holiday 2010 blend :)

This blend is so tasty you will swear it contains at least 11 Russians.

Just to be clear, he don't mean me;
so don't be callin' this Hermit. :lol:

gandalfpc":p7ku9x0a said:
Thanks for the heads up on this. I'll surely do that, as I want to add a few pounds of all Hermit blends to my cellar.

Talking about cellar, I still have quite a few of the original Ten Russians tins. These are the same size as the first 50g tins used by GLP, but contain 100g of tobacco. They all date from the 90's. I've read that Latakia degrades with too much age. Maybe it's time to check these out...

If you like the Captain Earle line check out English Atmosphere. It's not tinned by C&D and is only available directly through Hermit. It's different, very tasty, and the finest cross-over blend I've yet to smoke.

tedswearingen":q61c6dtk said:
If you like the Captain Earle line check out English Atmosphere. It's not tinned by C&D and is only available directly through Hermit. It's different, very tasty, and the finest cross-over blend I've yet to smoke.
Thanks, I'll try that. :cheers: