Car Repairs

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milan

Reaction score
My 2003 Mercury Mountaineer is in the garage getting it's transmission rebuilt. I do not know the repair cost yet, but am expecting between $3000 and $3500. I've already put at least the same amount into it this year for things like ball joints, bearings, body work, etc...

Anyone else out there getting hit with car repairs? I swear that it's enough to make a grown man cry. If I were to say that I have one regret in my life... it would be that I never learned how to work on automobiles.

In need of a loan,

Milan

Fortunately, no... *knocks on digital wood-like surface* ...I drive an old Toyota, so I'm not usually stricken with such burdens. Makes up for the mediocre gas mileage, though. :)

Hope you don't get reamed too badly, sir. :( Hope you love that Mountaineer enough to put that much dough into it!

New brakes and tires on my wife's 2006 Buick LaCrosse is enough for me for this year. :twisted:

Yeah, I gotta do the brake, shocks, frontend alignment, new Michelins (big uns).
I can do the work but, I'm too old and fat to even want to do that stuff anymore.
I cook the steaks while my boys and son-in-law tackle the job. It's good to have your own four gorillas :sleep:

After eating we all set around drinking a beer or two, smoking some cigars and doing a little picking and grinning.

Bill

Oh yea,
Rebuilt the engine on my VW diesel after the timing belt slipped off the pulleys!!!! New lifters, valves, camshaft, water pump, etc.
I even replaced the timing belt before the recommended 100k miles!!! The VW dealer never tensioned the belt properly. No more dealer repairs for me. Luckily I found a VW Guru to do the work and saved me a ton of $$.

I do my best to do it myself. My dad was a high school principal in NYC, but my grandfather (never met him, though) owned a garage in lower Manhattan back in the day and my uncle is a mechanic and another of my uncles is a carpenter so I have picked up enough through the years to get me by.

docwatson":fmgnrqbk said:
Oh yea,
Rebuilt the engine on my VW diesel after the timing belt slipped off the pulleys!!!! New lifters, valves, camshaft, water pump, etc.
I even replaced the timing belt before the recommended 100k miles!!! The VW dealer never tensioned the belt properly. No more dealer repairs for me. Luckily I found a VW Guru to do the work and saved me a ton of $$.
Owned one water-cooled VW GTi, never, ever, ever, ever, ever, EVER again. What picky little German chippie that wretched vehicle was. I don't care how fun it was to drive. :lol: :lol:

I got about 30,000 good miles out of it, then every time the CEL came on, minimum $500 charge. Bought my crappy 1997 4Runner, put about $600 into the rear axle, haven't had a problem in three years, 250k miles.

BMW 740il, so far so good. I know how to do some things myself, and I found a good mechanic locally who is good with BMW's and doesn't rape me like the dealer does.

So the repair bill is $2900 +tax to rebuild my truck's transmission. I may be selling things in the Trading Post soon?
Milan

Milan":d10qb3kh said:
So the repair bill is $2900 +tax to rebuild my truck's transmission. I may be selling things in the Trading Post soon?
Milan

Sux when you don't need the cost to fix it, and don't want the cost of a new one.

Hopefully it i'll last for a bunch more years without any more cost's.

Best of luck Bro, John.

Hopefully it i'll last for a bunch more years without any more cost's.
Best of luck Bro, John.
Thanks John. I hope so. I was declined a loan today so I'm going to have to start calling relatives and selling belongings. You work everyday of your life, get a good expensive education, and try to be a good person. Doesn't matter... life will still continue to screw you. We are all just turds floating down the toilet expressway called life, waiting to be flushed again and again.

Dave_In_Philly":sx3d6yt3 said:
I do my best to do it myself. My dad was a high school principal in NYC, but my grandfather (never met him, though) owned a garage in lower Manhattan back in the day and my uncle is a mechanic and another of my uncles is a carpenter so I have picked up enough through the years to get me by.
I've rebuilt so may Ford 289s, 302s and 351s I could do it blind folded. My old Jeep Renegade (I6) had enough room in the engine bay to stand in it should I need to work on it. There is so much electronic #$@% in cars and trucks today, no wonder you need a PhD to work on one.

Wife's Expedition needed a new coil [boot] - I couldn't find the $#@! coil or distributor - turns out each plug has its own boot. Then I figured I needed a step ladder just to get to the dang things. Needless to say, a good friend at Pep Boys helped me out.

Hope everything works out for you Milan.

Yeah. I had an Expedition with those darned COP (coil over packs). The last 2 on each side can barely be seen and have to changed blind (what a pain). A friend of mine has a 2004 BMW with a problem in the computer in the transmission. He was told by the dealer that they don't do internal work in transmissions just replace them and handed him a estimate for $8000!!! I'm glad I drive an older car.