Carter Hall / Prince Albert

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ITSETTLE

Reaction score
Brothers,

How long does Carter Hall and the Prince stay good for in unopened tins? Is it ok to store them for a year before smoking, or should I put them in mason jars?

ITSETTLE":dpqxg4nv said:
Brothers,

How long does Carter Hall and the Prince stay good for in unopened tins? Is it ok to store them for a year before smoking, or should I put them in mason jars?
My understanding and experience with vacuum sealed tins if left unopened ( seal not broken) they will last many, many years. I have some 30 yo tins of Dunhill 'bacs which are still good when I have opened them.

I have a glass humidor of PA from 1940 that was absolutely fine when I opened it last year. It doesn't age like va's do but it is much better than the stuff you buy today. You should have no problems at all aging an unopened can for a year. Most of the tobacco I smoke is OTC's from the early 80's and much older as well.

Jim

The new cans are not vacuum sealed. They are in cardboard with a plastic wrap over them. That is why I am curious about their unopened shelf life.

When in doubt put it in a jar. I haven't had any experience with new cans with plastic seals instead of tin or even the odd foil like the newer coffee cans.

Jim

you are better off to jar them up after opening, they dont keep well otherwise and it has been my experience with these 2 that they willl taste better as well

I get 14oz and 1.5oz CH containers. The foil bags in the paper box do well if not opened. The foil pack is actually a good container that I use to keep in my truck. But, after being opened it takes about 4 weeks to dry out. The plastic 14oz. plastic jars are supposed to hold up well but I jar mine anyway. FYI, new CH needs to be aged a bit. I think because of a short supply they've been putting out young tobacco and it tends to be bitter. After 6 months in a jar, mine mellowed out.

Hereward":599u7vov said:
I get 14oz and 1.5oz CH containers. The foil bags in the paper box do well if not opened. The foil pack is actually a good container that I use to keep in my truck. But, after being opened it takes about 4 weeks to dry out. The plastic 14oz. plastic jars are supposed to hold up well but I jar mine anyway. FYI, new CH needs to be aged a bit. I think because of a short supply they've been putting out young tobacco and it tends to be bitter. After 6 months in a jar, mine mellowed out.
Fine advice!!! I have one large glass sealable jar where I keep my opened foil packs/tins of PA/CH & Ginnyweeds (no latweed blends mixed in!! Another jar for those!!). I let my PA & CH sit for a goodly while before opening. To say these baccy's are "young" is being kind and gracious!!! They're still wearin' diapers when packaged!!!:lol: FTRPLT

I use empty Middleton tubs for bulk storage with no problems. Unopened, the Middleton tubs will and do keep the tobacco fresh for at least five years in my experience.

I've kept unopened Carter Hall tubs (14 oz. plastic tubs, CH is not available in tins) for more than a year in my cellar (which is dark, cool, and average humidity) with no ill effect.  The cello wrapper appears to keep everything copacetic.

Same goes for Middleton's Walnut, which I also keep in stock in it's 12 oz. plastic tub.

I always have a tub of each open.  I smoke both regularly and I don't jar them.

Both brands have a white cardboard "inner lid."  As I smoke from the tub (usually about half way through), when the pinches feel a bit dry while loading a bowl, I crimp a couple 1/2 inch edges on the cardboard, then toss a pouch moistener coin or a HumiCare Pillow, charged with distilled water, on top of the cardboard.  With the plastic lid/cover back on, the tobacco remains on perfect condition.

I see no reason to jar either of them.