"carved seam" or cracked??

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It allows a more natural airflow intensifying the smoking experience :)

Looks carved to me

rev

you mean extra surface area to cool the pipe, or is it allowing airflow in?

There was a flaw in the briar -- probably a sand pit. Leaving it there, it would have stuck out like a zit, even with a dark finish. So they did a meandering line that went through it. Which sticks out even more but makes the rest look better.

It's a not uncommon strategy to salvage otherwise nice results.

:face:

Huh, I thought they always put those in seconds and thirds, never seen anyplace passing it off as a "feature". Learn something every day!

I'll still not be buying a pipe with a big streak in it, just seems wrong still.

was making a joke about leaving a huge crack in the pipe to allow airflow in.

rev

I am pretty sure that the pipe would be a good pipe free from defect however... in my opinion, it is ugly as a baboons arse

rev

Lol ok then, i DID laugh at "allows better airflow" so joke was with you not ON you :)

It depends. If you wanted a nice smooth pipe but couldn't afford one, and this one was 98% of one at a steep discount, it would be an appealing compromise solution.

Diff'rent strokes.

PS : Brebbia pipes are no joke. The stems may be crap vulcanite, but so are a lot of others. Acrylic stem, and you're set.

IMO

Yak":k5em902w said:
PS : Brebbia pipes are no joke. The stems may be crap vulcanite, but so are a lot of others. Acrylic stem, and you're set.
I have a gorgeous bulldog of Brebbia making with a totally crap stem, but the thing smokes like a dream for less than $80.

There ought to be a fund in Chateau Weiss specifically for "Acrylic Pipe Stems," as there's a few I'd really like to change out.

After all is said and done, a beauty mark for me does not a bad pipe make. I just wish more makers would leave flaws be rather than trying to cake them up like a lunar-faced wench. She ain't gonna look better, and so long as she's a swell conversationalist and gives good head (referring to beer), mission accomplished.

8)

I had what I thought was a brilliant idea some years ago : the Unistem.

An acrylic stem with a recess for derlin tenons : a graduated set of them that would come close enough to fitting standard mortises that the squinchiness of the derlin would take care of the minor size differentials. Insert standard sized butt end into tenon, other, close-enough-for-government-work end into pipe, &, Vola !

A friend who's a high-profile pipe restoration guy said it was the most imbicilic idea he'd ever heard of and it wouldn't work for this and that and the other reason.

I bet it would, though.

That must be part of the "avanti" design. Looking at other sites shows they are all this way.

Brebbia, Kaywoodie and Nording say, to me, cheap. I owned one Brebbia whose tenon was off-center. It smoked good enough but the tenon placement bothered me and I traded it. I've not owned another nor even one of the latter two. Savinelli, Peterson and Stanwell I grudgingly deem as possessing "good enough." I've owned Savs and Stans.
I'm always willing to pay more for what I consider quality.

Isn't it odd that my perception of the quality of an object derives from my often specious judgments in thrall to some image maker's lure for a certain quantity of my money? One may think they are ignoring advertising but it delivers the payload of tantalizing associations nonetheless. We look at an add and are influenced; it's just that simple.

For instance take smokingpipes pipe narratives. They are written by capable writers who detail every possible merit of the pipe, often with metaphor and inevitably with tag lines. These are polished pieces of salesmanship, and it is impossible to ignore them or their influence when buying a pipe. I doubt that the reach of prose to sell pipes has ever been done so well and would say that Bear Graves most successfully pushes his reviews. I believe I've read him quote art journals' critique of design to illustrate his points. These small pieces are decisive influences if one likes a certain pipe.

But no matter what they write about a Brebbia, I just can't do it:).

My thought as a carver would be that it's covering up something. If it doesn't add to the design (which in this case, I'd say it doesn't) then why would a carver strike a line down what would have otherwise been a perfectly decent smooth pipe?

Alfie, try having a mind not really designed and programmed for the human experience et al since birth, such as mine, and advertising becomes this fascinating world trying to figure out exactly what they're saying. It's just another anguage. If you aren't brought up to get those cues, nuances, inflections and intent, you have to squint or cock your ear toward the source to really "get it."

Even when I do start understanding, the jokes still go over my head.

Only reason why I tried a Brebbia was due to the owner of Tobacco Road, had it in the back, wanted to be rid of it, and I'm glad I grabbed it.

Adverts work both ways: turning off those who don't like frosting. Easy solution: scrape it off the cake and give it a try.

8)

PS : Pipe companies have been doing that for longer than I've been around, I think.

Kyle, I hear you that you don't respond to advertising as do others, or do you? As it is true that you can separate the frosting from the cake, the sell's manipulation has set the hook. You say that you evaluate differently, but if you understand the sell, as a part of the culture, somewhere, somehow, I do believe that that membership is still smitten by the hook.

Just a little?