Castello strange drilling

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BB":vzjxxugy said:
Huh? The pic doesn't even show the opposite wall. There's no way for you to know that.
I must have a special picture (inside view) that only shows on my screen instead of the one you guys see.

On my screen, the shank of the pipe is on the right side of the bowl ; the view down the center (tilted a little) shows the opposite wall. Which has either a major crater opposite the draft hole/shank, or shows grotesque overdrilling.

And I am not being silly. Stuff is coming out of the Castello works in recent years that would never have survived the grading process previously. And this is allowing for the somewhat lighthearted allegiance to rigorous exactitude that Italian pipes in general sometimes show.

:face:

Yak: The hole is oblong. But the drill from the shank does stop just off dead center of the chamber.

This is a 1960s pipe judging from the box and catalog that came with it. Not a recent product.

I bet it smokes fine and if you got it cheap, that is one heck of a deal. I bet a lot of Castello Collectors would pay a good price for that odd piece. If you're not sure, don't smoke it and get some good money for it and than buy a new Castello in the shape you prefer. Over on the Smokers forum, member Mike Castello is pretty much the Castello expert there. Want me to check with him on its value to a collector?

rif: I was thinking of selling it. It is not quite what I would like. I have two group 3 Dunys that are about the same size. Sure, go ahead and see what it would bring. Thanks.

CORRECTION!

The EXTRA was a similar sized pipe I picked up. It was a Savnelli 801 EXTRA smooth finish.Sorry. :geek:

Good day Loneredtree et all

The Castello you acquired was made in the late 1950's to mid 1960's. The drilling is quite acceptable. As stated earlier may only be an issue is the blend smoked has very small pieces.

As far as current Castello over previous ..... as a Castello dealer I would have to say the current Castello's are far superior to those of even 10 years ago. Drilling is more "accurate", air passages more open and button sizes far more comfortable.

Regards
Michael J. Glukler