Castello - Varians in drilling, but mostly awesome

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've smoked quite a few pipes since I started last June, so much so that I started restoring and selling them just to fuel the need to try a wide variety in order to find my sweet spot. I have maybe 10 pipes on the rack now, two of which are from Castello. I've smoked maybe 10 or so from Castello, and the variety of drilling has been pretty remarkable. Some are wide open, and some have just the right amount of restriction.

This particular one, a Castello Trademark 3k sandblasted, purchased new on eBay, is right in the sweet spot. I only smoke Virginias and VaPers in it, which it seems to prefer. Flakes have to be rubbed out and dried to a certain point. I love that it's a sitter, and the muscular shank is a plus. Sometimes you find just the right pipe.

I've never seen a Castello with the stem logo on that side - where did you find it?

From what I understand, Castello has changed their geometry a few time and those older diamond-dot units are much more restricted than the newer models. I have a couple of recent-production Castellos and they smoke just perfect for me with basically anything, so I'm a fan of what they are doing now.

riff raff":svie1les said:
Has to be.
[reversed image}

Or twisted around, like putting Dunhill dot on bottom. If so, not many makers get that concentric.  Not that it matters.

Richard Burley":8ex74dub said:
riff raff":8ex74dub said:
Has to be.
[reversed image}

Or twisted around, like putting Dunhill dot on bottom. If so, not many makers get that concentric.  Not that it matters.
I don't see any sign of the "Hand Made Reg. No" stamp on the top, so I assumed that wasn't the case.

Grabbing a Castello has been on my back burner for quite some time. Congrats on a fine pipe.