catsup aplenty but where's the beef?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'dammit. Ketchup again. So, before I joined BoB, I smelled the 2010 McC Christmas Cheer. I caught vinegar/ketchup right off, thought it was funky, but not bad. Unless I telepathically connected to the idea, it's there. Taste wise? No. It isn't there, spare a little acidity caught in different ways. It's a mystery.

Mon, if it's from Lakeland, it doesn't ALL have old lady soap funk--just FYI (for you and perhaps others that may see "Lakeland" printed on a tin). A lot of it does, and in varying amounts, but it isn't universal. "Lakeland" is the area/location moniker, the "essence" is just indicative of certain blends that have the ...:cough:... unique floral topping.

McClelland I don't think adds their "ketchup" in the form of a topping, either. It's just a byproduct of their own process.

8)

Kyle Weiss":1u0jy77c said:
G'dammit. Ketchup again. So, before I joined BoB, I smelled the 2010 McC Christmas Cheer. I caught vinegar/ketchup right off, thought it was funky, but not bad. Unless I telepathically connected to the idea, it's there. Taste wise? No. It isn't there, spare a little acidity caught in different ways. It's a mystery.

Mon, if it's from Lakeland, it doesn't ALL have old lady soap funk--just FYI (for you and perhaps others that may see "Lakeland" printed on a tin). A lot of it does, and in varying amounts, but it isn't universal. "Lakeland" is the area/location moniker, the "essence" is just indicative of certain blends that have the ...:cough:... unique floral topping.

McClelland I don't think adds their "ketchup" in the form of a topping, either. It's just a byproduct of their own process.

8)
I was just joining in with the "universal" concept as purported by many here about McC's 'bacs, they all are "ketchup" 'bacs. With that form of reasoning, ALL Lakeland area 'bacs have that "old Lady" soap aspect :twisted: Just trying to "go with the flow" Reality is a whole different matter as some of us know :twisted: :evil: And I've yet to smell any ctasup that smells like Blackwoods Flake or any of the other McC's 'bacs. Fermented tobacco, somewhat acidic , yep, but not catsup :twisted:

Pease talks about how the MC process of curing/fermenting produces this smell.

To me this is one of the more hapless beliefs in the pipe world. Someone reads that MC tobaccos have a smell, and suddenly they perceive this to be true. Nothing will persuade them they are wrong.

Yes, I do smell something on/in MC tobaccos, but never once has this gotten into the smoke.

An altogether ridiculous opinion to which some pipers fall prey.

Actually MOST Lakeland bacs are covered in granny douche. Yes Lakeland is a region, it's also a style..

Granny douche is A Otay in my book Spankie.

I disagree. Gawith Hoggarth, yes, every tobacco that comes out of there is contaminated. Even the straight unscented tobaccos they sell carry a trace of it.

Samuel Gawith this simply isn't the case, and even so, the scented tobaccos that SG makes are kind of a different animal than what GH is doing. Bracken Flake and Grousemoor are scented, but never perfume-y. GH tobacco is perfume-y. I enjoy Kendal Flake and Balkan Mixture, and would Dark Flake too if it didn't kick my ass, but the rest of the GH tobaccos I have no use for.

I picked this up today and I can't wait to try some

blackw10.jpg

:twisted:

When I started smoking the pipe a common belief was that monkeyshit was especially suited for Lakeland granny douchebag topping.

The only problem that I had with that was that it smelled kinda funny;).

As I've said before: The power of Suggestion! Madison Ave. has made MILLIONS from the use of it !! And WE ALL have fallen prey to it as well :p :twisted:

I have opened a tin of Christmas Cheer 2011. There is a smell there, but it is not catsup. I know since I then smelled some Heinz 57 catsup and compared the two. Not even close...

The smell doesn't bother me as the tobacco tastes soooo good.

back on track, not sure how long you've been smoking, but for about 6 months, VA's tasted like hot air to me. i jarred em all up for a few months, and after my palette adapted to tasting hot smoke, i gave em another go. they started to have flavor! sweetness, hay, citrus... kind of like hops a bit. some malty. it just takes time. smoke a few more bowls, and if you don't like it, put it in a mason jar and get at it in 6 months.

tgwilt":si9hhrxs said:
I have opened a tin of Christmas Cheer 2011. There is a smell there, but it is not catsup. I know since I then smelled some Heinz 57 catsup and compared the two. Not even close...

The smell doesn't bother me as the tobacco tastes soooo good.
Sorry I have never opened a tin of black woods I just thought I was funny

I like how today is BoB Arguing-In-Agreement Day. :lol: Granny ketchup douches.

8)

Kyle Weiss":7p69uo89 said:
I like how today is BoB Arguing-In-Agreement Day. :lol: Granny ketchup douches.

8)
Well put Kyle, well put :twisted:

peckinpahhombre":xms5mcx9 said:
I say we all chip in and get Monbla one of these:

H MAN!! You found us out! She comes over three nights a week to keep my McC 'bacs up to proper ketchup spec's :p

alfredo_buscatti":ve9jqej1 said:
Pease talks about how the MC process of curing/fermenting produces this smell.

To me this is one of the more hapless beliefs in the pipe world. Someone reads that MC tobaccos have a smell, and suddenly they perceive this to be true. Nothing will persuade them they are wrong.

Yes, I do smell something on/in MC tobaccos, but never once has this gotten into the smoke.

An altogether ridiculous opinion to which some pipers fall prey.

Why would you consider this to be a "hapless" belief or "ridiculous" opinion?

Maybe some of us, you know, taste and smell things differently than you do. No need to be insulting or to suggest we are all falling prey to suggestion. Even GL Pease detects the "ketchup" thing, and he is quite correct to point out that it's not some kind of additive or anything. It's simply the smell of the types of Virginias used by McC as they age and ferment. It's just that, for some of us, that smell/taste evokes ketchup/BBQ sauce/whatever.

For the record, the very first time I smoked a McC Va (back before I even had an Internet connection or had ever spoken with anyone about McC tobaccos) I detected the ketchup/BBQ/whatever smell and aroma. So it's really not even possible for me to have been influenced by anyone. It is VERY pronounced to me, and comes through in the smoke most of the time. I initially hated it, but have grown to crave it much of the time. I even have three briars dedicated strictly to McC's virginias now, as I've found the signature McC "tang" ghosts a pipe and will carry over to whatever I smoke next.

I don't think my tasted buds are hapless or ridiculous. I just think our taste buds detect flavors differently, which is a very common phenomenon. Taste and smell are terribly complex senses, and we're not all wired in an identical fashion.

As promised, I'm back with a report on my experiences with my first tin of CF (Catsup Flake). :p I rubbed out another bowl of Black Woods and let it dry on a piece of printer paper for about thirty minutes. This seems to have made a big difference since I was able to taste some really nice VA flavors while smoking BF this time. I found that I need to continually adjust my breathing/smoking pace to maintain the flavor; too slow and no flavor, too fast and nasty flavor with some tongue bite. When I was able to get it just right the flavor of this flake was delicilous. The unbelievers among you will be grieved to hear that I can still taste catsup/ketchup during the first third of the bowl. The taste isn't offensive and doesn't detract from my smoking experience, but it's there. I think that further drying and packing a little looser, as well as working on my smoking technique, will make this tobacco a keeper.

Thanks for all of the useful suggestions and entertainment. :D

Kim