catsup aplenty but where's the beef?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mention Catsup and a thread goes to 6 pages in a days time. Amazing. :lol:

Anyway, back to the matter at hand. It didn't taste like much of anything. I have had that happen. I still struggle with some blends. I can find some truly yummy flavours out there. But sometimes I think my taster just gets overwhelmed. Maybe this is what's happened. Too rich to quick maybe. Work your way towards the blend by smoking some of the other Virginia blends. Maybe 2000 or 2010. Or #24, #27. To get the best out of any Virginia demands patience. Try very hard to just have a nice coal on top and let it smoulder it's way down the bowl with a bit of assist. Don't puff it up trying to find more taste. Don't work.

Do not be afraid to set a MC tin aside for a time and come back to it later. Age really helps their Virginia's. More age, more better. They come aged, but more is better. :sunny:

Im probably not adding anything useful that hasn't already been said..but I first encountered the catsup/vinegar smell in some broken VA flake, from McClelland bulk that I bought from a local store, 3 or so years ago...and still dont enjoy it..although, i have found plenty of flakes and plenty of blends, that dont feature this smell.
I also tried Bobs Chocolate flake, and got kinda sick from that.the catsup doesn't translate into the smoke, but the lakeland essence does.
I was always told it was a topping they put on the tobacco to keep it fresh. I dunno how true that is..but yeah....thats what Ive always been told.
I will agree with Carlos- McClelland 2000 FMC .. is some amazing stuff, and no it doesnt have that smell to it..its actually very sweet..and quiet aromatic, but you def. taste good baccy..
I will say, I dont enjoy smoking granny deoderant, or an over-ripe douche bag....but hey its all good.. enjoy what you smoke, and smoke what you enjoy..

btw Carlos.. I like the avatar, it made me think about how Taylor Swift looks like a Cocker Spaniel.

Well, folks, I still must wonder, despite the excellent input here, what the sometimes detected flavor's source really is. I still question this because I do not detect it as badly, if at all, in McC's contract blending- Benjamin Hartwell, Ashton's Revivals, or indeed in some of their own Va based blends - some of the Blackeneys Best come to mind.
Perhaps their mold situation is an effect of the humidity level at which they care to tin and ship.

Again, thanks to Yak for some qualified opinion.