Cavicchi, Castello, or Le Nuvole

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amenhotep04

Reaction score
Trying to get a grip on the next purchase. Been looking at some 4C Cavicchi's and then trying to compare to Castello and Le Nuvole. Any thoughts on what people prefer and why?

Thanks,

:farao:

If you want one pipe that makes you re-appraise your other ones, Castello's your ticket. If not, Cavicchi is consistently good.

:face:

You're asking if Porsches are better than BMWs....

I think the most important thing would be to find a shape you really like from any of those makers.

I have never owned a LeNuvole I do have a couple of Castello's and Cavicchi's. I agree with an earlier post about finding a shape that you like. For me personally I lean towards the Cavicchi for 3 reasons. 1. Artisan vs production pipe. 2. Cavicchi bits are always very thin and comfortable compared with Castello which can be rather clunky. 3. Price.

You can't go wrong with either brand that's for sure. I would buy another Castello in a desired shape in a minute!

I've owned all three. I truly think Castello is heads and shoulders over the other two. To my eye they're just made better. They have a far finer fit and finish. I also like the way they cure their briar. Break in time is very little. The only possible issue one might have with a Castello is their draw. They're not wide open like the others. I've always thought that J.T. Cooke's and Castellos have every similar smoking qualities. Of course any good pipe reapirman will open them up for you for a small fee.

Thanks guys. I've found a few of each brand online that I like. I agree with Todd about shape, as well as weight. I definitely like pipes under 50 grams. So, hopefully in the next couple months I will take care of this. I'm not as concerned about the draw, in fact, I like a tighter draw. So the Castello might be the way to go. Also Skip Elliott raves about the bits on the Castello.

And to Todd, I'd take a BMW over a Porshe any day of the week. Most of the time, very different vehicles. I see the three name brand pipes as all having different attributes to their benefit. I'm just checking to see what everyone's experiences have been. Definitely can't lose with any of them, but just trying to get a feel for them. :roll:

I have 6 Le Nuvoles, a couple of Castellos, and over 30 Cavicchis. They are all nice brands, but I must have missed the superior quality part of the Castellos. IMHO, It is just marketing.
Cavicchi's are usually not featherlight, so make sure, you check the weight, before you buy.

Markus

pxlwz":i4qijsgx said:
I have 6 Le Nuvoles, a couple of Castellos, and over 30 Cavicchis. They are all nice brands, but I must have missed the superior quality part of the Castellos. IMHO, It is just marketing.
Cavicchi's are usually not featherlight, so make sure, you check the weight, before you buy.

Markus
Yeah, shopping around, it's been tough finding both the shape and weight I'm looking for with regard to Cavicchis and even Castellos. Le Nuvole it's a piece of cake. I appreciate the feedback.