Ceci n´est pas une pipe - but where is Magritte´s pipe?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schacht

Reaction score
Dear brothers of briar,

I wouldn´t have thought, that this little inquiry would be that difficult, but so far it turned out to be quite hard to find out something about the following pipe.

Magrittes_Pipe.jpg

photography by Michiel Hendryckx 2010
Does anyone of you know who exactly has been fabricating that famous shoe-pipe René Magritte once owned? I´d also be interested in the whereabouts or any other information concerning this pipe. I´ve been already trying to contact the photographer who shot this picture, regrettably without any success. I´ll also try to find someone who could be knowing something about this subject at the Magritte foundation.
But maybe there´s a pipe-aficionado around here who could help me out?

Thanks in advance and kind regards
Thilo

…By the way:

surrealistplumber.jpg

THIS IS NOT A POST.

Very interesting, Thilo. Maybe the person to ask is Giancarlo Guidi from Ser Jacopo pipes. He has an art background and is obviously a pipemaker. He did an entire series of art-inspired pipes from some of Margitte's paintings. If anyone knows the answer to your question, I'd put my money on him. I believe he lives and works in Pesaro, Italy.

The cartoon is great! Thanks for posting it.

Bonne chance!

P.S. Did you notice that the stem on "The Shoe Pipe" looks virtually new?

Airborne":h6lzrfmg said:
THIS IS NOT A POST. […]
Thank you John, and please forgive me if this sounds corrective, but I think it´s on the contrary a very helpful post. I´ll try to contact Mr. Guidi and keep this forum updated if there´s any progress.

Airborne":h6lzrfmg said:
[…] Did you notice that the stem on "The Shoe Pipe" looks virtually new? […]
There´s a bigger version of the photography here. It looks to me as if that stem shows apparently traces of oxydation and it did not seem to be new to me at all. Why did you think it appears to be new? Did I fail to see something?

Kind regards
Thilo

I think its the lighting, makes every thing look shiney and new.

Schacht":uoa3uvqu said:
Airborne":uoa3uvqu said:
THIS IS NOT A POST. […]
Thank you John, and please forgive me if this sounds corrective, but I think it´s on the contrary a very helpful post. I´ll try to contact Mr. Guidi and keep this forum updated if there´s any progress.

Airborne":uoa3uvqu said:
[…] Did you notice that the stem on "The Shoe Pipe" looks virtually new? […]
There´s a bigger version of the photography here. It looks to me as if that stem shows apparently traces of oxydation and it did not seem to be new to me at all. Why did you think it appears to be new? Did I fail to see something?

Kind regards
Thilo
Just my play on humor from the This is not a pipe!

Like John said, it looks a bit shiny for an older pipe. You'd expect to see more oxidation. But maybe some one cleaned it up.

Let us know what you find out. I'd be really interested if Guidi comes up with anything.

Airborne":yt2wrnqg said:
[…] THIS IS NOT A POST.
[…]
Just my play on humor from the This is not a pipe! […]
This is not a misunderstanding.