Cellared Billy Budd

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkOfThePipe

Reaction score
So first, I think it's really great that we all capitalize the names of blends when we reference them. I personally feel it's a testament to the reverence and respect pipe smokers have for our pipes and tobaccos.

Lastly, I just had a pipe full of some Billy Budd that has been sitting in the cellar for maybe 8 or nine months. Man was that good. All the aggresive harshness has mellowed, and it is one tasty damn smoke now. I liked it before, but i would have to say this stuff ages quite well.

MarkOfThePipe":ce5k21dj said:
All the aggresive harshness has mellowed, and it is one tasty damn smoke now. I liked it before, but i would have to say this stuff ages quite well.
I put my stash of BB away for the same reason. I am hoping to find a more palatable flavor when I get around to smoking it again.

Billy Budd responds very well to cellaring. The bulk stuff (available at my favorite shop in Sacramento) I smoke fresh for a while, then as seasons change, let it sit for six months untouched.

Rounds out an already good blend, one of my favorites. Whoever at C&D came up with that one really nailed it.

8)

Thanks for posting this , you reminded me of a tin I jarred over a year ago for reasons similar to yours. I pretty much forgot that I had it. Now I'm looking foreword to trying it again.

If you thnk it is smoother and more mellow after cellaring, try pressing it into a crumble cake.  It is exquisitly smooth yet strong and flavorful.  You can press it yourself by wrapping a few ounces in wax paper and clamping it between two boards with a couple of C-clamps for several days.  The pressing accellerates the aging process and marries the flavors.

Excellent post! I picked some up a couple years ago during my fall into TAD. I really enjoyed it, but was trying all kinds of blends at the time. By the time I got around to digging back into it, the jar sucked the seal down. Mason jar. That has happened to a lot of jars, I can't seem to bring myself to breach the seal and give it another go. I have been thinking about BB for a good couple weeks, maybe I should. If I do that, I may end up opening FM 2000 and 5100. Oh, what to do.