Cellaring Aro's for long term storage

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawker

Reaction score
Any thoughts on how Aro's (mostly smoke Boswell blends) will keep for long term storage. With the price of tobacco's i'd like to start storing for 10-30 year usage. I've read that aro's don't improve like others but as long as they stay as they are i'd be happy. I have been packing my 2 1/2 & 5 oz mason jars to about the same density as i would pack a pipe, filling them to rim & pushing the lid down & holding it in that position untill the lid is sealed. Making sure there's no tobacco on any edges to ruin the seal. Rechecking the lids after a month.

I've read of some guy's setting/warming there filled jars in hot water before sealing to improve the vacuum. Would this help keep the tobacco ?

As long as the topping or flavoring doesn't dry out, they should be fine. All according to what the tobacco used happens to be, they might sge some, but probably less than non-aromatics.

Well, I've been told by someone who oughta know that aro's are at their best when fresh. They get "flatter" as they age. I'd say my own experience supports this. F'rinstance my aged MacB Plumcake holds it's taste for a couple years, maybe with a bit of smoothing out, I'd say, and then begins to taste more like a nice burley/va blend. But my taste buds are my own, and I make no strong claim for the universal application of my own experience on this point.

Re: sealing. You get the strongest seal by sealing a hot jar and storing in a cool place. For me, in New England, the jar sealing / tobacco hoard augmenting season is fast approaching. Here's what I do: I filll the screw top, 2-piece lidded canning jars snugly with tobacco. I use a small tomato paste can as my tamper. PUTTING THE TOPS ON VERY LOOSELY, on the first warm, sunny day of spring, I put said jars in my car, all windows closed, and I park the car in the sunniest spot in the driveway. Wait an hour or two. Then screw down the tops and move to the cool tobacco hoard in the basement, noting the date of this activity on your labels.

You'll get different alternatives on this, but that's what I've been doing with good results ever since I switched to bulks about 30 years ago.

Good luck to you.

I put the toby in the jars, slap em in the microwave for 10-15 seconds without a lid, then slap the lid on and screw shut. After 30 seconds or so they pop down sealed and are good to go. Unless I am feeling lazy and just screw the lid down without anything else. Depends on the mood I am in but so far nothing has dried out on me either way.