Cellaring bulk tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charley Scanlan

Reaction score
I have a question, if cellaring bulk tobacco in vacuum sealer bags won't let the tobacco age, because there's no oxygen for fermentation, why do vacuum sealed tins work so well in the aging of tobacco?

I would think it should still age in the bags, although being even more compressed and with (in theory) a better seal, it would just age more slowly.

The absence of oxygen still allows anaerobic fermentation. C&D seal leaves enough oxygen for some aerobic fermentation, some of their tins bulge from the CO2 production and I believe that's why the blends develop their best flavor one to two weeks after they are opened.

I don't store bulk 'baccy in plastic baggies; it goes into glass (Mason/Ball/snap-lid jars, for instance).
Tins stay in tins until I pop them open. My older Ginnyweed & English/Balkan/Oriental tins all "bulge" to the point I have trouble stacking them very high (nice problem to have!!).
I do keep several older blends in their original Mylar bags; checking them for aroma/leakage frequently. I have bags from 2009 & earlier that display no "shake" or smell! When I finally open them, they will immediately go into glass!
Works for me!! That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!! FTRPLT (59 year pipe smoker!!)

I only started smoking a pipe at Christmas '22, but I've got a lineup of 7 mason jars already, and planning to add more. I'm at the beginning of all this, so I'm glad to read the collective wisdom here.

I only started smoking a pipe at Christmas '22, but I've got a lineup of 7 mason jars already, and planning to add more. I'm at the beginning of all this, so I'm glad to read the collective wisdom here.
Just to warn you, TAD is a very slippery slope. You will know you've gone over the edge when you start buying Mason jars by the 12 pack, LOL.

Yeah, any tobacco I've left in plastic bags has dried out very quickly. Some people say you can rehydrate it, but it never tastes quite the same after going bone dry IMHO. The little Ball jars are great for storing open tinned tobacco long term. Some guys even coat the Ball jar seal with wax after it's seated for long term storage. Makes sense but I've never tried it.

Just to warn you, TAD is a very slippery slope. You will know you've gone over the edge when you start buying Mason jars by the 12 pack, LOL.
Walmart will sometimes have 12-packs of mason jars for a little over $7, and they have free shipping over $35....

So naturally I buy 5 12-packs at a time. I have to, because of the free shipping. Right?