Cellaring question

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

This might seem like a silly question... but... When you guys cellar your tobacco do you date it from the date you purchased it or do some of the tins have a package dates... Same thing with bulk blends... I've seen people say they have a 4 or 5 year old tin of XYZ but I'm curious as to when the clock starts on something like that.

If there's no date on the tin it begins the day you write one on it with sharpie.

Same with bulk, when you can it write the blend name and date on a piece of paper and tape it to the jar.

puros_bran":ufmk2aif said:
If there's no date on the tin it begins the day you write one on it with sharpie.  

Same with bulk, when you can it write the blend name and date on a piece of paper and tape it to the jar.
+1 most tins have dates from my experience. Sometimes it is the last two numbers of the code stamped on the bottom of the tin (McClellends) , sometimes there is the whole date on a sticker on the bottom of the tin ( c&D and Pease). If there is no date then mark a date on it and go from there. With Jars, try not to open them as this will change how the tobacco will age for every time you open it.

puros_bran":ehxp1b1q said:

Good deal... that's how I have been doing it all along I just wanted to be sure there wasn't a more specific way to do it...

Old Briar":h1oqvglu said:
puros_bran":h1oqvglu said:

Good deal... that's how I have been doing it all along I just wanted to be sure there wasn't a more specific way to do it...
If there is, hopefully someone will let us know!

puros_bran":bnbq9gho said:

What this guy said.

DrT999":pq3qyq23 said:
Old Briar":pq3qyq23 said:
puros_bran":pq3qyq23 said:

No, if there is, that person needs to keep his mouth shut! I don't need any more ritual in my routine. If someone comes up with an even simpler way to do things, that's the guy we need to hear from.

tarheel7734":syq86odw said:
puros_bran":syq86odw said:

+1  most tins have dates from my experience. Sometimes it is the last two numbers of the code stamped on the bottom of the tin (McClellends) , sometimes there is the whole date on a sticker on the bottom of the tin ( c&D and Pease). If there is no date then mark a date on it and go from there.  With Jars, try not to open them as this will change how the tobacco will age for every time you open it.
I've said it before somewhere, but every time I wander through my cellar, I feel the urge to send the folks tinning CD/GLP a massive fruit and muffin basket.

Dave_In_Philly":pnm6q97i said:
DrT999":pnm6q97i said:
Old Briar":pnm6q97i said:
puros_bran":pnm6q97i said:

No, if there is, that person needs to keep his mouth shut! I don't need any more ritual in my routine. If someone comes up with an even simpler way to do things, that's the guy we need to hear from.
Dave is right on the money! I have tons of different sized jars and really need to reorganize right now. I'm all for simple.

idbowman":xhbxxsfj said:
I've said it before somewhere, but every time I wander through my cellar, I feel the urge to send the folks tinning CD/GLP a massive fruit and muffin basket.
They make it easy, don't they?

Dave_In_Philly":asinelrx said:
If someone comes up with an even simpler way to do things, that's the guy we need to hear from.
There is a simpler way.

I used to date my tobaccos and spent hours of contemplating the subtle notes that differ in the same tobacco cellared year or two more.
Then it hit me. Screw all that, it ain't worth it. Just buy more tan you smoke, and smoke whatever you like, and that's it. Being connoisseur is kinda gay.

While I agree that it can get a little out of control, one of my reasons for asking has to do with a tin of Nightcap I got for Christmas in 2011... I was given two tins of it that year and I enjoyed the first one a lot but just put the other away. So I was going to open it at Thanksgiving this year and see if I noticed any difference... of course I will probably have to buy a fresh tin in order to compare the two since three years is a long time to remember the flavor of something.

I've been hoarding Pete's Irish Oak because it's the only decent tobacco I can buy locally. The only date I can find on the tin is 1865 but I doubt whether it can be true because the tins look so new? :eek:

balkan_boy":bff94czm said:
Being connoisseur is kinda gay.
I realize you probably did not mean to give offense, but that sort of language is particularly offensive and below the level decorum that, I think, this forums typically subscribes to.

Beyond that, I agree with you. I date the jars in my cellar so I know to smoke the older stuff first. First in, First Out. Generally Accepted Accounting TAD Principles.

Dave_In_Philly":ew2cjk71 said:
balkan_boy":ew2cjk71 said:
Being connoisseur is kinda gay.
I realize you probably did not mean to give offense, but that sort of language is particularly offensive and below the level decorum that, I think, this forums typically subscribes to.

Beyond that, I agree with you. I date the jars in my cellar so I know to smoke the older stuff first. First in, First Out. Generally Accepted Accounting TAD Principles.
No, it was not meant to give offense. Especially to the gay population. But given the fact that English is not my mother tongue, I sometimes find difficult to articulate a given thought in the most descriptive way. I understand also the political correctness and the puritan sensitivity american fellows have to comply with, but I just can't think of a better word to describe the obsession with subtle hedonism. Maybe something like "lack of manliness" (don't know whether there is such word) or "focus on the non-substantial aspect of the smoking pleasure" or whatever. It still doesn't depict what I had in mind better than how I said it in the first place.

Anyway, apologies to the affected, smoke well, and don't bother with the little things.

Cheers mate!

I think the expression you were looking for is "Being a connoisseur is over rated" meaning the trouble involved with the process far outweighs the benefits.

Feazelle-n-it":boqgv1ll said:
I think the expression you were looking for is "Being a connoisseur is over rated" meaning the trouble involved with the process far outweighs the benefits.
Yeah, that too.

While this probably isn't the place to get into a discussion like this...

I think the part that's offensive about your language is the part where you connect 'gay' with a 'lack of manliness'. While certainly traditional, it's a pretty one dimensional way of defining someone as a person and at least to my mind, being a man is less about where you put your genitals and more about how you carry yourself and act in life. It's not so much about being PC or puritan as it is about realizing that being gay or not has pretty much zero impact on being a pipe smoker (or most other things for that matter).

Maybe I misinterpreted you, and if so feel free to just disregard the above.

And, to try and be a bit relevant with regards to the original topic: being fairly new at this whole thing, I'm constantly on the look out for 'facts' that I can use to predict how something is going to taste, and age is a given in that context so of course I mark everything with the earliest verifiable number that I can find. Sometimes that's when I get something in my possesion and close the lid on the jar and sometimes it's a makers code.

I'm showing my Noob colors here. What effect does cellaring have on pipe tobacco. I know about wine and cigars, is it similar to cigars? Do you also have to keep it humidified? I'm still trying to find "the one" so tight now I'm just getting small amounts.