Cellaring Tins

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wintermute

Reaction score
Sorry to keep bombarding everyone with questions, but regarding placing tinned tobaccos in the cellar, is it sufficient to store in an unopened tin, or should the tobacco go straight into a mason jar?

Most tins will cellar just fine.

However. Look them over. If you see anything that looks like it could be a blister in the metal, and it's a "tin" container. Anything that looks like rust. Take a toothpick or even a nail. With just finger pressure. Not much pressure really. See if you can poke a hole though what you are looking at. I have done it with a toothpick several times. Rusted from the inside out.

Catch it early and jar it. Do play in the cellar like Scrooge McDuck playing in his money. Check your tins from time to time. You don't know where they have been. Maybe they sat in a semi-trailer in 108 deg heat in Oklahoma for a week.

Yep, Carlos has it covered I think.

If something is up with them, toss 'em in a mason jar.

Carlos":ro7lh1j5 said:
Most tins will cellar just fine.

However. Look them over. If you see anything that looks like it could be a blister in the metal, and it's a "tin" container. Anything that looks like rust. Take a toothpick or even a nail. With just finger pressure. Not much pressure really. See if you can poke a hole though what you are looking at. I have done it with a toothpick several times. Rusted from the inside out.

Catch it early and jar it. Do play in the cellar like Scrooge McDuck playing in his money. Check your tins from time to time. You don't know where they have been. Maybe they sat in a semi-trailer in 108 deg heat in Oklahoma for a week.
Wow,
I didn't think to check for rust. I've had empty tins rust but never sealed. Guess I found something to do for tonight.

Thanks Carlos!!

And may I ask what is so wrong about sitting in a trailer in Oklahoma in 108 degree heat?!?! It's merely stoving the tobacco!!!! Besides, lots of Okies do this in the summertime!! Doesn't seem to bother them....much!! :suspect: :lol!: FTRPLT

ftrplt":ugb0f450 said:
And may I ask what is so wrong about sitting in a trailer in Oklahoma in 108 degree heat?!?! It's merely stoving the tobacco!!!! Besides, lots of Okies do this in the summertime!! Doesn't seem to bother them....much!! :suspect: :lol!: FTRPLT
:lol:

Actually, the only time I have ever been in OK, was on a vacation trip Cathy and I took first to Hermann, MO. Then on to Eureka Springs, AR. Was Labor Day several years ago. That trolley car guy kept us informed of the temp. Was 108 deg every day!

So one day we took a day trip across OK. Some where around Nowata, OK, we turned north into Kansas to visit the site of "The Little house on the Prairie".

Never thought it could be so hot.

I have one very old tin of C&D's "Yaller Dawg" that has started to rust under the clear sealing tape. I'll just keep watching it; still is strong to pinpoint pressure and thumb pressure. All my other tins (including some 10-15 year-old ones) are just fine.

On the ol' Knox board we had quite a discussion on "stoving" tinned tobaccos. We were having one of those stagnant high-pressure "heat domes" sitting over the lower mid-part of the country at the time. Believe me, stoving your favorite "baccy is no problem when the temps are above 100 day after day!!!!

Carlos....The Missus and I enjoy our trips to Eureka Springs. Great place to relax!! FTRPLT

Carlos":s5xmn13j said:
That trolley car guy kept us informed of the temp. Was 108 deg every day!
Never thought it could be so hot.
I hate when the light rail conductors around here do that. At every stop, they kindly inform you of the temperature of the heat blast about to punch you in the chest when they open the door.