Changes for the Better

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgoldberg

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Since I started my pipe journey late last year, I have floundered around, chasing the experience. I had been rewarded enough times to take for granted that there is an experience worth chasing, so I have been persevering.

Some recent changes I have made to my pipe smoking, based on suggestions here and elsewhere are as follows:

• Smoking slower
  • Using the breath method
  • Not trying to keep the pipe lit at all costs
  • Not trying to smoke the bowl down to the bottom in one sitting
  • Keeping a record of what I like, and don't
  • Assigning my pipes to certain tobaccos, or types of tobacco.
  • Not cleaning my pipes as frequently as I was.
The assigning of pipes to tobaccos has been huge. I now have 16 pipes (yeah, I'm a little ridiculous, I know). Here's how I've done it:

Savinelli 673 KS for English-type stuff
Savinelli Bing for Edward G Robinson
MM Shire Cobbit for C&D Stove Pipe
MM Riverboat Gambler for my custom jar of Aromatic Leftovers (which is pretty tasty if I do say so myself)
MM Elf Cobbit for Lane 1Q
Jost for Velvet
Older Mastersen Freehand for Bayou Morning
Newer Mastersen Freehand for Haunted Bookshop
Kaywoodie Prince for other codger blends besides Velvet
Peter Kent for Eight State Burley

Except for the MM's, these are all briar pipes. Some of the names may not mean much unless you've been following my acquisition posts religiously (as if), but hopefully you have a sense of what I'm up to.

I have 6 other pipes "unassigned", but only one tobacco unassigned. Guess I need to buy more, lol!

I am really enjoying my pipe time lately, and enjoying it more often. Even tobaccos I was not impressed with are now in the "good enough" range, if not downright tasty.

One thing this has enabled/improved is the enjoyment of English blends; I was sure I would never like them. Now I'm sorry I disrespected the tin of Peterson's Standard Mixture that I threw in a jar of other oddments and called it English Leftovers.

I'll post a picture of my pipe racks separately.

20230913_124725.jpg

I notice that you rack your pipes bowl up. Others who have used that method include Georges Simenon (author of the Maigret mysteries), Georges Herment (French author of the informative book "The Pipe"), and (if one is to credit the illustrations in some of the stories), Sherlock Holmes--and perhaps Holmes's author Sir Arthur Conan Doyle Every pipesmoker I know--self included--stores them bowl down, so that any lingering moisture will collect in the heel of the pipe instead of the stem. Have you had any negative experiences with your method?

If memory serves I believe I read the bowl up suggestion in The Corn Cob Primer on pipedia.org. I store my pipes bowl up in unused glasses on my tobacco bar and nothing has bled to the bottom of the glass. I do a cleaning of the stem and bowl before putting them away which includes wiping the inside of the bowl with a wadded up paper towel.

Your pipe racks really appeal to me for several reasons. Efficient use of space, look easy to access, very stylish and functional. I only have 7 racks but only 2 are wall mounts and all bowl down style (clumsy at times especially with my bents and my longer pipes.) Bowl up is fine for a sweet & dry pipe (and I'm past sour & soggy.)
You have inspired my next project and my un-racked pipes (not to mention my wife) thank you!

"Not trying to smoke the bowl down to the bottom in one sitting"
After many years, I still wrestle with this one. I find that if I allow a bowl to grow cold, and then relight, the taste is bad.
So, I always smoke to the bottom of the bowl, especially on newer pipes, because otherwise the bowl will not be fully broken-in (charred), and I consider this important.
Also, gooey aromatics are impossible to smoke 'all the way'. These aromatics, I smoke in cobs or meerschaum.

Nevertheless, my rule is "the pipe serves me, I do not serve the pipe". So, if it is prudent to smoke less than 'all the way', then so be it.

Regarding, "Assigning my pipes to certain tobaccos, or types of tobacco." -- I used to do this, but now I don't care 😎

So, dirty little secret is, those aren't pipe racks! They're actually ball cap racks, and are supposed to be mounted vertically. Just Google "wooden ball cap rack" and select Images. You'll see what I mean.

I found mine in a thrift store for $2 each, I think. If you order them new, they're not giving them away.

You have inspired my next project and my un-racked pipes (not to mention my wife) thank you!
They'll be real cheap if you can make them out of scrap wood lying around!

My wife was with me at the time, and when I showed them to her and told her what I was going to use them for, (I think I had 6 pipes at the time) she asked me, "are you planning to .... fill them?" LOL

No plan - it just kinda happens.

Have you had any negative experiences with your method?
None at all. And as most may have guessed, I store my pipes bowl-up because that's what the rack allows. :LOL:

"Not trying to smoke the bowl down to the bottom in one sitting"
After many years, I still wrestle with this one. I find that if I allow a bowl to grow cold, and then relight, the taste is bad.
I guess a corollary to that rule is "don't be afraid to give up on a bowl if it gets janky." Taste turns bad? Dump it out and do something else.

I keep a LARGE glass of ice water handy while pipe smoking. Seems to help with tongue bite. But yes, the key is to sip the pipe, not puff.

I have one pipe, a Joe Gregorio Danish freehand style, in which I smoke only Connoisseur Scottish Ribbon. I smoke flakes in my taller, slimmer bowls and the occasional aromatic in a Knute. In all my other pipes I smoke whatever. I've been a fanatic about cleaning my pipes after each smoke; I think I want to ease up on that. Slow smoking with light puffs is definitely the way to go.