changing filters?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ragged claws

Reaction score
For those of you who use balsa filters in your pipes, how many bowls do you smoke before you change the filter? I'm asking because I just bought a new Savinelli and like using the filters. Changing the filter after every bowl is not an option though. Hopefully I can get some use out of the filters before changing them. The pipe came with about 20, I believe.

Thanks, Kim

ragged claws":sk752tyn said:
For those of you who use balsa filters in your pipes, how many bowls do you smoke before you change the filter? I'm asking because I just bought a new Savinelli and like using the filters. Changing the filter after every bowl is not an option though. Hopefully I can get some use out of the filters before changing them. The pipe came with about 20, I believe.

Thanks, Kim
I also smoke a Savinelli Dry System and I never change the filters because, I do not use them!! :clown: I find them a bit messy because they do absorb a lot of moisture.

Jokes aside, when I do fit a filter, I usually replace it after no more than 3 smokes. But there are no hard and fast rules; you replace your filters when you do not like the taste of the smoke anymore. I also cut the filters in half to save some money.

I've been averaging 3 bowls per Sav filter. Same with the Medicos, too...now that I think about it. :)

Thanks for the replies, guys. Changing after 3 bowls makes sense. I might go filter-less once I run out of filters. Cutting the filters in half seems like a good idea. I'll give it a try.

Kim

You might also search for a model supply shop (or online). Stick balsa in the appropriate size, cut to length by yourself, works out to less than $0.01 per filter. Substantially less than the name-brand product.

Yes, I do smoke Savinelli pipes. And I use a filter, sometimes.

EC is absolutely right, those pre-packaged Savinelli filters are way too expensive. Simple balsa sticks cut to length are much cheaper, and the square sticks work fine too - you don't have to use a triangular piece to get the same effect.

More to the question, I'm usually good for 4-5 smokes, depending upon what it is. If it's a goopy aromatic, it might get changed after 3. My other Sav is for English/Balkan blends, and it's good for up to 6 smokes before I change the filter.

I tend to smoke a lot of aromatic blends and I'd normally get 3 smokes (sometimes only 2) from a Savinelli filter. I find if I overuse a filter I can stand the risk of tainting the smoke.

I'm definitely be tempted to follow EC and Rob's advice and start crafting my own filters. :cheers:

Fraternally

Jers

I've been using the Savinelli 9mm ones and cutting them in half or even quarters to fit all of my filtered pipes (using them only once). Good tip on the DIY filters from balsa sticks.

I tried the balsa filter in my Savinelli and didn't like it. So I took out the filter put in the adapter and like it much better, one of my best smokers.

I use the Sav Balsa's in my two Vauen 9mm Pipes. They're great smokers. I can usually get a couple smokes out of them as long as I am not switching between blends. I used to try rinsing and drying them, but they still smelled awful after a few uses. Personally I like them, and I find them to be a bit better than the charcoal filters as there is no change in flavor just a bit of a tightening in the draw. However, this can be somewhat circumvented by shaving away a bit of the balsa around the edges of the filter.

desertpiper":ed0jit7g said:
I tried the balsa filter in my Savinelli and didn't like it. So I took out the filter put in the adapter and like it much better, one of my best smokers.
I smoke my Sav Dry System without the adapter. I've read somewhere that the stem might be damaged by doing this but I can't see how this can happen.

What do the brothers think about this :?:

TonyS":txuth5dh said:
I've been averaging 3 bowls per Sav filter. Same with the Medicos, too...now that I think about it. :)
That's about my average as well.

Indeed, you can buy balsa triangles for roughly $.030/foot. Are they treated in any way,shape, or form? I personally don't know but it'd be interesting to find out.

Based on my experience with the balsa that I have purchased, they are not treated with anything. Treatment would interfere with them being receptive to the glue used for modelmaking.

DrumsAndBeer":w0ozem62 said:
Personally I like them, and I find them to be a bit better than the charcoal filters as there is no change in flavor just a bit of a tightening in the draw. However, this can be somewhat circumvented by shaving away a bit of the balsa around the edges of the filter.
:cheers: :cheers:

Top tip! I've just tried slightly shaving down the filter edges and it works tremendously.

Thanks

Jers