Charatan Dublin

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schacht

Reaction score
This was my first Charatan (OK - there´s only one more until now…). Even though the bowl is almost filigree, it smokes very well - the briar seems to be exeptionally hard. The thin bit makes it comfortable, it´s small but it´s dedicated to enjoy the perfect dose of Night Cap to me.

Charatan_Dublin_a.jpg

Charatan_Dublin_b.jpg

Charatan_Dublin_c.jpg

Very nice Charatan you have. And the nomenclature is perfect along with the nice crosscut grain. Glad you enjoy the pipe, thanks for sharing the photos.
Doc

I tend to associate the Dublin shape with Charatan, as they seem to have specialized in very refined versions of that shape. My first Charatan was also a small bowled Dublin, although it was sandblasted. I sold it after deciding that it was not "The Perfect One", but have since had a very difficult time replacing it, as Charatan collectors on EBay are rather vicious, and I've been outbid on every example I've been interested in. This one is well outside of my price range, but I'm watching in curiosity:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110712324317&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It's nice to have a pipe that is just the right size to satisfy a specific need, which to me, is one of the factors that feeds the continual need to hunt down more pipes for specialized duty!
Also, I wish Sasieni had taken such care with their stamping! This one is remarkably clear.
Thanks for the pictures! This pipe seems to come alive in your photography. It's amazing how much time I can spend looking at pipe photos...

Looks like the perfect size for a smoke right before bed. She's beautiful, congrats! 8)

Thank you all for your kind comments on pipe and pipe-photography. It´s always a pleasure to see that others share the same passion.

Harlock999":r10dxeeg said:
[…] ViewItem&item=110712324317&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT […]
Could it be, that the price for that pipe went a little bit too high? I definately think, that it is for sure an extraordinary beautiful example of many remarkable Charatan-virtues, but based on the photos I´m not even sure, if the mouthpiece is original. What do the more experienced Charatan-expert-brothers think of that?

Harlock999":r10dxeeg said:
[…] It's amazing how much time I can spend looking at pipe photos...
Yes it is! In any case, thats is what I pretty often think as well. And it´s amazing too, how much time I can spend on taking photographs of a pipe. But to make a picture that really translates, how that pipe might look for real is an interesting challenge, and it´s becoming almost another hobby…

I'm no expert on the brand (own a Special and a Supreme), but I think $440 for that pipe isn't much of a "win". More like total lunacy I say. Come to think of it, there was a full moon on July 15 when the buyer would have been watching that pipe.

Steve

Schacht":9g8c5pwl said:
But to make a picture that really translates, how that pipe might look for real is an interesting challenge, and it´s becoming almost another hobby…
Definitely a hobby unto itself, and a very enjoyable one!
Steve's (sstodvictory) pipe photos are really nice as well.
That Charatan Supreme was expensive, but not out of line for what that grade of pipe has been selling for, at least recently. And Dunhill DR's are even higher.

Harlock999":bblzs63i said:
[…] That Charatan Supreme was expensive, but not out of line for what that grade of pipe has been selling for, at least recently. And Dunhill DR's are even higher.
I agree! The grain is really worth sseing and of course, "supreme" and "handmade" is an exceptional quality. The scratches on that bowl are deplorable, the stem has possibly been replaced - but it´s still a very bautiful pipe.

Maybe not exactly in the same league, but still a very nice Distinction is this here:

cha1.jpg
A German trader sells is for € 90,- ($ 127,-). I´m afraid the shank is not as elegant as it is on the Supreme, but the price is reasonable. I thought about buying it, but I don´t feel that pipe is for me.

Schacht":5ue4gcf0 said:
I´m afraid the shank is not as elegant as it is on the Supreme
It is funny how a few millimeters here or there can make such a difference. That Distinction is a fine looking piece, but you are right, it doesn't quite have the sophistication of the other pipe. I think collecting strictly by grade is a somewhat odd thing, but not uncommon in this hobby, and it does fuel those elevated prices. For me, the bigger thrill is finding those pipes that for whatever reason, were under graded, and have the grain and presence of a much higher graded pipe.

Harlock999":r98cmyiz said:
[…] For me, the bigger thrill is finding those pipes that for whatever reason, were under graded, and have the grain and presence of a much higher graded pipe.
Well, while Ivy Ryan or Tad Gage have been referring to this subjekt, there are still many good, and even some pre Lane, Charatan estates on the market that are great pipes, and the "Special" or "Belvedere" grading does not change that.

I´m not the collector-type myself - my wife is buying some art from time to time (she started when she ran an artist in residence prgram} and I somehow think that one collector in the family is quite more than enough. I just smoke some pipes then.* Eventually many pipe smokers can tell the difference between a good and a bad pipe in a very sophisticated, differentiated way, without even looking at the nomenclature.

* Isn´t it a good thing, that some carvers are refusing to grade their own work? Imagine painters would have been doing such a thing like grading their work: "wow - I got me an a++ Beuys-chart last week. Look at this - don´t you think he could be giving it an a+++, if it would be a little bigger?".

:)

I do appreciate some of the carvers who don't grade their work, but my favorites are the ones who have nonsensical grading systems, which they refuse to clarify! Ilsted comes to mind, and Nording's system became so complicated, he apparently could not remember what some of the stamps meant anymore.

Follow the grain. Charatan's pipemakers followed the grain. As straight grain angles out in a burl, the pipemakers took advantage of the grain.

I don't know how many variants on a Dublin I have in my Charatan collection, all taking advantage of the grain.

Whoa...I just had one of those rare perfect life moments...while looking at your third photo and listening to Clapton's "Autumn Leaves"...life can be soooo good. 8)