Charatan

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having a Stanwell that has this done to it I would assume it means it was deemed a second before leaving the factory.

Cartaphilus":1xs639wa said:
Having a Stanwell that has this done to it I would assume it means it was deemed a second before leaving the factory.
Thanks Cart! I assumed it was a second and the OP has a story of Dunhill striking out the Charatan name for those same reasons. Was just wondering if that a.) rings true and b.) what time period that might be. Thanks again for your quick reply!

TMacphersonNH":8dpviie5 said:
Cartaphilus":8dpviie5 said:
Thanks Cart! I assumed it was a second and the OP has a story of Dunhill striking out the Charatan name for those same reasons. Was just wondering if that a.) rings true and b.) what time period that might be. Thanks again for your quick reply!
I'm sorry, I reckon I didn't read your question well enough. Charatan are kinda tough to date sometimes but, I would think it having a reg. number would put it early before Dunhill.
Although I've read things like the Lane employees after Dunhill took over would mis-mark some of the pipes like "Special" instead of "Supreme" so Dunhill would loose money on them. Don't know how true that is though.
Charatan

Awesome. Thank you sir!

Cartaphilus":h22q6h4f said:
TMacphersonNH":h22q6h4f said:
Cartaphilus":h22q6h4f said:
I'm sorry, I reckon I didn't read your question well enough. Charatan are kinda tough to date sometimes but, I would think it having a reg. number would put it early before Dunhill.
Although I've read things like the Lane employees after Dunhill took over would mis-mark some of the pipes like "Special" instead of "Supreme" so Dunhill would loose money on them. Don't know how true that is though.
Charatan

If that's a second, I can't see why, and apparently neither could anyone who finished and stamped it up until the time it was X'ed. I'm thinkin' it means something else. I had one exactly like that from the '70s, except it had a tapered bit. It was an awesome smoker.

TMacphersonNH":1fv3tc0d said:
I was on eBay and saw this Charatan Acorn. It captured my eye but I was wondering about the "xxx'd" out name. Was this common for the brand? Not knowing enough, I thought I'd check with the experts.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-CHARATAN-S-MAKE-319DC-Acorn-Gorgeous-Birdseye-xxxd-out-/221595156835?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339819c163
When Dunhill bought out Charatan in the md '80s, they began x ing out the stamping on many if not all the lower priced standard models and merely adding x's to the higher end models as they let the marque die. They still own Charatan and have most of the lower end models made by various makers in France and now are making the High End Freehands , Executive and up , models made by a select few carvers in the Dunhill factory now. Look carefully and you might see an L in a circle on the pipe which would indicate a late Lane production pipe, one of the "good" ones as they say. :twisted: :twisted: