Charlie Varrick

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soylentgreen

Reaction score
A movie for Pipe Smokers!

Mob hitman, Molly, played by character actor Joe Don Baker (Walking Tall), smokes a saddle stem billiard while he kicks everyone's ass tracking down Charlie Varrick (Walter Matthau).

This is actually a very good movie although the pacing is definitely circa 1973. Tarantino had to have seen this as he "adopted" a well-known phrase in his Pulp Fiction script.

Recommended. And its on Netflix Instant view.

I agree with your estimate of this movie. It portrays a pipe smoker in a non-stereotypical way, i.e., as a bastard. Baker handles the pipe really well throughout, if you know what I mean, just as though he really were a pipe guy. This movie is the only influence that could get me to consider a leather-wrapped pipe. As an aside, I think I have been in that cathouse, or the one depicted in the movie, just to see what it was like.

I will have to check that out soon.
Man I love Netflix 8) Seriously how cool is it to recommend a movie that I can start up right now, not have to go to a store or illegally download it. (Just for the police record I have never ever ever illegally downloaded a movie) :roll: ;)