Cheap Pipe Lighters: A Comparative Review

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice review Jack..... I have a nibo just like that one. They are not available here on the RSA market but mine was sent to me by a good friend in Michigan for my b-day last year. I must say, I am very happy with it! I may be shot for this, but I find it more pipe friendly than my (pipe) zippo!

Jobon still works, maybe even better than it did when I bought it, and I'm just using plain old Ronson butane. I'd buy another, it's a great value.

NIBO officially crapped the bed some time ago. If it sits for a while it will light once, but then will not light again or only produce a very small flame.

I'm thinking of getting one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Vertigo-Briar-Lighter-Chrome-Velour/dp/B0027BIJKI

I snagged a Xikar Resource lighter, so far it's awesome. It was about 50 bucks. Plus Xikar has lifetime warranties. From Xikar's site.

----
If for any reason you need to return your product, please return the product only (without the box) in a padded/bubble mailing envelope to

XIKAR INC
PO Box 025757
Kansas City, MO, 64102-5757

Be sure to include your printed name and complete mailing address, email or phone number & the reason for return (very important as we use this information for quality control). We should have the product returned to you within 3 weeks.
------

with that kind of commitment 50 bucks for a good lighter is totally worth it.

Jack I just bought one of the Vertigo lighters from ebay...Ive only had it for about a week and so far so good.
I wanted a Xikar but the finance minister put the the brakes on that idea.The Vertigo seems solid though...and has
a one year warranty.

I bought this guy in China about a year and half ago. It still works well, if I treat it right:

1. keep it warm or it won't light--keeping it in pants pocket works just fine.
  2. Empty the tank before refilling by using pick on czech tool to depress valve.
  3. Turn the flame adjustment all the way down when refilling

I heard that these were required of all butane lighters. Both of Mine worked better if I followed these guidelines.

I also had a Vertigo with a neat extend-able tube to reach the bottom of the bowl, but it only lasted a few months. I got it for Christmas, and really liked it, but the ignition doesn't click any more when I hit the button.

Good to hear flytier! Keep us updated. I probably will order one after the new year. What color did you get? I'm leaning towards the chrome but the others look nice too. Just don't know what material the little colored part is. Hope it has better luck than Thomas' model with ignition problems. I have a Lotus torch lighter for cigars which has worked well, so hopefully that's a good indication.

Thomas good points there. The other thing that I didn't know at first is to not shake up the butane. :oops:

Here is the lighter I was given. It had my name engraved, so I think I'll get another and switch the cases (I just took it apart to try and fix it, so I know I can do that ;) ). It has a one year warranty through this site. There's a $10 off code (minimum order $15) as well, so you might go there for one of their other lighters. To get to the $15 minimum, I added some Savinelli pipe tools.

Scratch that...Thank God for good ole-fashioned American ingenuity and a Dremel tool! I fixed it!

There's a rotating part in the ignition that has a peg that slides over a platic piece to put it in place for the spark. The plastic had worn a groove so that it didn't slide. A tiny engraving bit (about the size of the peg) smoothed out the sliding part and it works, for now. If this piece were metal--like the case and other moving parts--it wouldn't have been an issue. Chinese junk...but we demand lower prices, so there you go...

Good review, indeed. But, I stand by my pipe Zippo. I've had it for three years and I love it. It's solid brushed brass, which the company no longer makes pipe lighters out of. The trick is to not overfill it in the slightest, or it'll go insane torch on you. Nonetheless, I've never had it harm a pipe or my hand like regular Zippos did. And Bics? They are just garbage. But, hey, those cheap lighters you showed look pretty attractive considering the price.

Jack i got the black vertigo...from what i can tell the colored part looks like its painted or dyed..then buffed over...its definately not plastic..or a label.

Greenleaf":b3lqe73h said:
A question just came to mind: why have more than one lighter?
Well, first of all, why not?

Second, if one breaks or gets lost you have a backup.

"Why not?"

Good reason, lighters can be nifty. I always used chrome cigarette lighters, so it would be nice to have a chrome pipe lighter. But then, I'd have to decide whether to use that lighter or my brass one. I've always bought the same chrome lighter as a replacement--it's a system I've got down. Have not been able to forget about buying a chrome pipe Zippo. Anyways, this is all getting aimless and OCD-sounding on my part.

Since I can buy the Zippo pipe lighter at my local JR Cigar for 14.95, does it count for this discussion?

Sure anything under $25-30 lets say. I love a zippo pipe lighter, they have so much "cool" factor. Lost mine last winter and haven't replaced it yet.

Since you have experience with zippo's....do they last a long time on one refill? I seem to have to recharge my cheap butane pipe lighter that I got on Ebay....an Imco :no:

When I was using mine for one pipe a night I think it lasted maybe a week, but it's hard to remember. Keep in mind though that the fluid slowly evaporates from the zippo.