Cheap pipe rest that doubles as a tobacco drying bowl!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nismo270r

Reaction score
Picked up a ceramic Oggi spoon rest at Bed, Bath, & Beyond the other day for a whopping $1.99. Makes a great little bowl to dry your tobacco out in, then after you load your pipe, it doubles as a pipe rest! They had both black and white, but I couldn't find these on their website to link here.

oggi-001.jpg

oggi-002.jpg

oggi-003.jpg

Wasn't sure how it would hold a bent, but seems to do fine with my Sav 2611 Dry System!
oggi-004.jpg

I like it. I think I'll be making a trip to BB&B when I get home this week.

Incidentally, there's a BB&B two doors down from my Tinder Box... who woulda thunk! :cheers:

I'm going to get a few. Great find, great tip. 8)

These are similar to a spoon, I think also available from BB&B, sold for Chinese soup, which can be used for the same purpose. They are similar to the subject object but have a handle so may work even better as a pipe rest. I'm thinking it might have been on BoB that somebody had recommended these.

Later:
I searched BB&B but didn't find them on the web site and then happened to think it might have been Amazon. A search for 'Chinese soup spoon netted a lot of hits. One of them was similar to what I remembered:
http://www.amazon.com/Asian-Red-Black-Soup-Spoons/dp/B001D22QM4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1350788095&sr=8-2&keywords=chinese+soup+spoons
Or maybe it was this one, which looks like it might sit better on the table:
http://www.amazon.com/Revol-Grands-Classiques-Chinese-Spoon/dp/B001XQKS5M/ref=sr_1_50?ie=UTF8&qid=1350793303&sr=8-50&keywords=chinese+soup+spoons

That's a great idea! Heck, I have some of these in the silverware drawer! :)

I do like the innovative use of materials and this is nice and creative.

Neat rest. Great looking pipe - is that a Radice?

I whipped up two more of these leather rests from a scrap leather strap I had in the basement. Member Sorringowl made me a very nice black one with my initials and birth date. I used it so much, I thought it would be nice to have a few more for the shop, patio, etc.

Pipe_Rest.jpg

I checked out those Oggi spoon rests, and they're a little big for my use...I have a handful of pipe rests that I got for pretty darned cheap. One, I think, is a soy sauce dish orphan from a sushi restaurant. Hooray innovation!

8)