Cheap Pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewest

Reaction score
I have a Purex pipe that I picked for little of nothing at a local antique store. I thought I would add it to small collection of "beater" pipes or yard pipes, whatever you want to call those pipes that you keep just for fishing, mowing, throwing at people, etc. Anyway, I have found that over time, it has become my favorite pipe for late night smoking. Anyone else have a cheap pipe that has pleasantly become a favorite smoker?

I have a drug store Carolina Briar that smokes pretty well. I think it cost around 20 bucks.

I bought a new pipe off of ebay, a dublin shape stamped Orizante, after i broke it in it smokes like a dream one of my favorites evan though it is a beater.
Best part about was i paid under 12 bucks for it.

I bought a basket pipe at the local tobacco store just for that reason - carry around, outside, in the car, etc.

It is an HIS (made in Italy) bent bulldog. Nothing fancy, but smokes Very well.
I'm quickly liking this cheapo more than some of my old stand-by pipes.

Is this wrong? Preferring a $20 basket pipe over some of my better Briars?

Sorry, but this is exactly what's happening. Don't know what else to say...

I gave $15 for an estate Gasparini that smokes as just well as any of my best pipes. It's uglier'n hammered $h!+ and certainly not a pipe I'd take out in public,....but for smoking out in the rig-room of the fire station while cleaning the rigs it's perfect.

many years ago a woman gave me, as she put it(a box of junk.)She thought of me because there were two pipes inside.Said she it cost her 2 dollars.One pipe was a familiar Grabow.the other was a bent black and said teds on the shank.I cleaned them up and no surprise the Grabow was a good smoker.The black pipe ,a bent,looked like a root knot on the bottom so I didnt do anything with it.With time the Grabow became better as some other Grabows had come and got sold.So I figured Id clean up the Black pipe Known as TED.First smoke was like my 1960s Nording.Each new smoke better.This was all 30 years ago.now I would not part with either.Both smoke as well as any customs in the 400 to 800 range.I wish this would happen all the time when the cost was on my side.Im not saying good smoker, but GREAT smoker.It does happen.Not often enough for me.Good hunting.

I have couple basket pipes that I picked up in Kansas City about 11 years ago. Both have acrylic stems. They smoke as well as any pipe I have. If I was still living in K.C. I'd probably pick up a couple more.

:farao:

Just found a pipe in an old box in the back of a closet. Oxford, Made in London,,,,???,,,,a Rhodesian 1/4 bent that I bought many years ago but never broke in because I was getting into cigars at the time. It has fishing companion written all over it.

I had a no-name billiard with a yellow dot in the stem (like a Willard) marked only Imported Briar. It came in an estate lot with some Kaywoodies, etc., so I got it for about $3. It smoked really well. I dedicated it to aromatics, and even the wet ones weren't too bad in it. I was about to switch it over to real baccy, because I don't mess too much with 1Q and her ilk anymore, when I lost it on my wedding day amidst hurried preparations for my honeymoon. I hoped on the trip that I'd find it upon returning home, but no such luck have I had. :(

With the exception of PeeDee's Castello Christmas Bomb, there isn't a pipe here younger than around 20, and some go back to the 1940s and beyond.

Reason : seasoning. Briar mellows with time the way tobacco does.

The name on it doesn't matter.

Fact.

The way it tastes, does.

:face:

I got a Jost Supreme Liverpool at an estate sale a few months ago for $12. Smokes great. Good capacity. I think they were made by GBD about 40 years ago. Awesome pipe.

This is just a noname basket pipe marked only "Italy" from my local B&M. If I remember correctly is was like $20-30. This thing has an uncanny ability to make a good smoke out of just about anything I decide to stuff in it. It's had everything from the goopiest bulk aro from the b&m to well aged virginia flakes to (most recently) some Haddo's from from 2005 stuffed down the hole and it still hasn't "soured". Never a gurgle to be heard or pipe cleaner to be stuck. Don't think I have ever polished the stem either to my memory. It's been neglected, abused, mistreated, dropped, sat on, etc...won't flinch. Light weight, well shaped, well cut stem and comfortable bit. Couldn't ask for more from a pipe. Except maybe to not be ugly as all hell. Lol.

Harlock999":p9iccr7p said:
This $12.00 no name pipe is one of my favorites!
Holy Smokes!!!

That's gotta be the most beautiful no-name $12 pipe I ever saw!!

Indeed that is a beutifull $12 pipe. I'd have to say that's at least a hundred dollars worth of sanblast right there!

Thank you gentlemen! I'll admit that as a novice to estate pipes, I managed to overspend on a couple pipes, but I definitely got more than my money's worth on that one. I also had the beginner's optimism that I would find more just like it, alas... :no:

Kudos, Harlock999 -- that's just a great looking pipe regardless of the price; and at $12, it's an incredible find.

Here's my HIS basket pipe (Made In Italy) - for $20 I won't complain one bit. It smokes as well as my better briars. Plus, if something happens to it, i'm not out much.

HIS.jpg

Here's another basket pipe of mine - larger bowl for when i've got a while...
It's a Heruage (or something like that), says 'Made in USA' and 'Imported Briar'.
Either way, my wife bought it for me for X-mas years ago. Smokes pretty well too.

Heruage.jpg

Many years ago, I saw some "Charatan seconds" at a shop. They were nice looking pipes and made in England. I invested in one of them and was not disappointed. Later I found others at some other shops in Michigan and I bought some of them. When I got a chance to see a Charatan shape chart the pipes I had purchased matched exactly. I have since learned Charatan never sold "seconds", I am certainly glad I invested in the MADE IN ENGLAND briars.