Chelsea Morning

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slow Puffs

Reaction score
Has a review or comment thread been started. I did a "search" and there are no hits...

This may not be all that helpful, but based on Greg's (can I call him greg?) website, and the reviews on TR, it looks like an exciting development.

Chelsea Morning is made from a variety of sweet red and bright virginias, fragrant orientals, a small measure of rich Cyprus Latakia, and a pinch of L.A. Poche’s brilliant Acadian perique. It is an easy to pack, easy to smoke tobacco, and a great blend to start the day with your morning cup. The flavours are lively and engaging, with a subtle fruitiness and gentle smokiness that wakes up the palate. For those expecting a Latakia powerhouse, this ain’t that. The Cyprus leaf provides depth and character; it’s certainly present, but it’s not the dominant voice. In that respect, Chelsea Morning is similar to Piccadilly, the ‘English Breakfast Mixture’ from the Classic Collection, but, it’s also very different; the orientals add additional dimensions to the smoke. It's really a delightful blend.

Of course, it would be silly to say that it’s only enjoyable in the mornings, but to my tastes, that’s when it shines its brightest. I’m very excited about this new blend, and the entire series, which I'll be finishing up over the coming months, and releasing as they're ready to go.

And, just because I know someone will ask, no, it is not a ‘clone’ of that other famous tobacco with ‘Morning’ in its name. But, if you liked that one, you should certainly give Chelsea Morning a try. It's already getting some great reviews!

the macdonald":320mda2a said:
This may not be all that helpful, but based on Greg's (can I call him greg?) website, and the reviews on TR, it looks like an exciting development.
You may. May I call you The? ;)

Chelsea Morning has gotten some great reviews, and some good press on some of the forums. I'm really quite excited about the blend itself, and have been smoking it like a fiend. I just finished up the artwork for the 8oz tins, so they'll be coming pretty soon. And, I've got Café Press set up to do Chelsea Morning mugs. (My Maltese Falcon mug has seen serious use, and is still looking great.)

Thank you so much gents
icon_biggrin.png

I've been away from posting for a while, and, like others, have adored Union square. If fact, Fog City has become the foundation pillar of my collection. I was a little amazed that Chelsea Morning has received little print here among the brothern and sistern and look foward to further commentary...

One of the reasons I was excited about going to Richmond for the C.O.R.P.S. Expo was the chance to try some Chelsea Morning. I was deifinately not disappointed. It is an excellent blend. My palate is not as sophisticated or well trained as some on this board so I will leave the analysis to those better qualified. All I will say is that this is one delicious way to start the day (no matter what time you start it). I love that other blend that has morning in it but this is so much better. It is wonderful with a cuppa Earl Gray. When I cracked the first tin I bought I wound up smoking it all day and most of the next day. You should definately add this one to your go to stable. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Wet Dottle":3ii6854f said:
the macdonald":3ii6854f said:
...can I call him greg?...
No. For you he's Mr. Greg.
I was thinking of retracting my request and calling him G.L. "Deadwood" style like E.B., well maybe that is not so honorific, more like J.R. Dallas or H. L. Mencken, sort a maverick with a little more swagger than might be communicate by "Greg" unless it's sort for Gregarious.
You may. May I call you The?
Lol, I had forgot that I named myself "The MacDonald" in the forums, yes you may call me The, as in "shall bring thee a mighty army..." mainly because tuesday is "Delusional Grandeur" day, on eof the best days of the week, or so it thinks...

Wednesday through Monday, Joe would suffice.

I wrote a short little review ; ) over at tobaccoreviews.com that I'd be glad to reproduce here. I think it is a SMASHING blend, clearly, and it is absolutely my favorite tobacco.

Enjoy!!

In the interest of full disclosure: I am in general am a fan of GL Pease, and his blends, and I was very excited for this new series, but I can honestly say, this blend is a true marvel. It exceeded my expectations, and showed me new things to be excited over that I hadn't even considered. I will do my best to quantify my reasons for such praise.
The aroma upon opening the tin, I think, is an experience very familiar to humans, but somewhat alien to pipe smokers. It has the character, and presents to the senses as food, more than construction. The familiar tobacco scents are indeed the components of the aroma, but, not in their usual voices. They are more unified and conformed than when they usually speak. Much like a stew, it no longer smells like each ingredients, though they are its composition, it smells like stew. That said, this is a delicious smelling stew of tobacco. It's almost shocking at first. Its savory, peppery, and a little sweet. The moisture level really worked for me, and i didn't need to let it air out at all.

The next thing you'll notice is the cut. It presents in long even strips that link, and fold in a way that really packs easily, and seems to facilitate a constant, and even burn. I am happy to report that Chelsea Morning gave me my first ever "one light burns to ash at the heel" experience. It just puffed on and on, with no threat of overheating, biting, or smoldering out.

I think perhaps that both the special type of aroma and cut are due to the new process. I hate to assume, or suppose on these matters on which i am uninitiated, but I suspect the new process unified the cut, flavors, and aromas so that they harmonize the way they do-which is in a way I have never experienced in tobacciana.

And once you light this new strange friend, you see, taste, and smell the effect of those new presentations of form. Many blends have the feeling of an orchestra, or a large festival chorus. You get a large number of people for the large sound, and add as many altos as you need to have them heard with the sopranos, and after tinkering with the numbers, you have a big, full chorus, with a big four-part sound. This blend is like the smaller Hilliard Ensemble singing Renaissance motets. The voices are so tuned with each other, so unified that their voices blend like the sound of one instrument, singing chords so tightly tuned you can not hear the individual voices, only let the tones blanket over you in their perfect weave. Its as though the Latakia "listens" to the Virginia and adjusted its volume to bring out the frequency marriage to make their harmony really zing. The perique hears the lower tones of the orientals and sings with a covered tone as to not clang against it, but stay in the pocket and make the chord grind, and thrill.

The taste? Well, it is hard to describe really in concrete terms. It's buttery, and nutty, and zesty...and also not. It is what it is. It doesn't taste "like" anything, to me. It is almost as if its separate properties have their own characteristics. Its taste is wet, but its mouth-feel is dry. I'd say, maybe dried figs, and citrus come to mind. But, truly, it has a taste all its own. This blend will "bowl you over" (wink) not with its tidal wave of taste, as it was not intended to, but rather with its ontology. You will marvel at its very nature of being, and at the success of its incarnation. The taste itself is perfectly pleasing, surprising, and a truly delicious breakfast.

Everyone reacts differently to new things, and I think this is no exception. I have always been something of a smoking omnivore. I smoked cigarettes for years, then moved on to cigars, and then added pipes. This is a blend that reaches across all those smokes, and takes their best parts, and sings a whole new fusion. It has a piece of all of them, the slighter, and slimmer taste character of a cigarette (a stretch of a comparison-it doesn't taste LIKE a cigarette); the consistent draw and burn of a cigar, and the variable volume draw, developed flavor and savory plot line of a artisan pipe full.

So, I could imagine there there might be some who have no long-term use for this blend, as they will miss its finer points-much in the same way I can imagine that a Metallica roadie might not enjoy Palestrina. The types that want ONLY to have their senses be overwhelmed by a heavy-fisted blend, would come away from this blend let down. There is of course nothing wrong with huge overwhelming blends, and I don't at all mean to suggest they they are only for the unrefined. Heck, all my other favorites are big sluggers for the most part. Yet, to those who are admirers of quality in all things, even if it may not be their cup of tea: I can never imagine a derisive word being aimed in Chelsea Morning's direction. It is perfect- in that its nature, and existence are fully realized. That is, it is a smashing success at just what it was set out to be.

Also, its worth saying that I can think of NO reason this could not be an all-day blend in two ways: background music, and object of study. If one wanted a pipe to simply fume in their mouths all day, this would fit the bill very well, as it is a very tame blend, and wont scorch you if you absent-mindedly start to really chug it. And, to those who have the luxury to devote attention directly to their pipes, there is much for your palate to contemplate throughout the day once you let your tongue go to the tobacco, as opposed to the other way around. Yes, I know it wasn't designed as an all-day, as it is meant to be the morning leg of an "all-day" series. And I am here to tell you, if the other blends in the "Old London" series are anywhere near as fine specimens in their rites as Chelsea Morning is in its own-it may well just become my entire rotation!

So, yes, I am a BIG fan of "Chelsea Morning" for lots of reasons. And I honestly think that if you are a lover of pipe smoking, this is sure to hold a special place in your heart. Even if your tastes lay in other tins, you will surely hold this blend as a masterpiece in the art of tobacco blending. There is no blend I recommend before, or higher than this one.

I just love that kind of talk. It makes me all gooshy inside. ;)

the macdonald":svxctnvz said:
This may not be all that helpful, but based on Greg's (can I call him greg?) ...

Weeeeeell. The taboo has been lifted, but, it's still generally thought to be more advisable to use "You-Know-Who", "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named", or most acceptably "The Dark Lord." ;)

Slow Puffs":svxctnvz said:
Crookshanks, well done
And thanks Slow Puffs!!

glpease":svxctnvz said:
I just love that kind of talk. It makes me all gooshy inside.

:lol!:

I actually...toned it DOWN a bit. LOL! It is seriously yummy. And burns really well. Actually, I was thinking today that it would be a really great choice for someone's first time out on a pipe. The flavor is there, but not...overwhelming, very balanced, and "smokable", easy to pack, and seems to be a very tolerant of technique. Seriously, I think of the rest of the series at least 3 times a day. I hope they're getting close to ready! I sit around and wonder what they'll be like. Are they Latakia heavy, with stoved ginnies? or oriental and bright and oranges? , or all...blendy! Are they flaky! Or ribbon!!!!??? SHAG!!!?? AHHHHHHHH.

Crookshanks":cbjwzjrx said:
Actually, I was thinking today that it would be a really great choice for someone's first time out on a pipe. The flavor is there, but not...overwhelming, very balanced, and "smokable", easy to pack, and seems to be a very tolerant of technique.

Looks like I may have to get some of this. Won't be my first, though quite close, but I'm quite sure a tolerable tobacco will only help my technique. Then again I guess if it is too tolerable then one may develop bad habits/technique. Maybe I need something that will sear my tongue when I get overzealous. I think I'll pass on the seared tongue, and when funding is available, order me up some Chelsea Morning. Been wanting to try a GLP blend ever since I read about them.

I have been involved in several of these threads on different boards. Guess I missed starting one here. :oops:

It really is grand. It has just enough strength and plenty of interesting flavor. For many newer smokers it offers a chance at coming close to the flavor profile of some much older blends. I would like to see a version with enough strength to give the unwary some green gills. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Definately worth trying. The tin description is mouth watering. Of 18 some odd reviews on TR, 4 stars on every single one of them. Quite unusual.

I just bought my first two tins of this blend, and initiated a brand new Peterson with it, so I only smoked about half a bowl.

Then, I put it in another pipe (a Moretti) and fired up a full bowl.

I am not one to gush, although I will say that Mr. Pease has hit several home runs in my book (Westminster comes to mind immediately). This one is another one. My exposure to CM is, to be sure, limited so far, but I really, really like it.

I normally like a big latakia hit. You won't find that with CM, but the lat is there. The flavor I got most of all was of sweet Virginia.

A good tobacco to start the day for sure, but don't limit yourself to that. Tonight, I sat on my front porch (it's been unseasonably warm here lately) and sort of lost myself in smoky, creamy flavor-filled happiness.

I've got one tin open, the other will go into short term cellaring, and I'm soon to order some more to set on the shelf.

If you haven't tried Chelsea Morning, try it. I think you'll like it.

Mike

Mike, glad you like it. It's been richly rewarding to read so may wonderful comments on this blend. I'm afraid it's set my stage-fright in motion, though. I hope the next one meets with at least half as favorable a response!

Cheers,
Greg

Indeed, I bought a tin of this stuff last month, and pretty much put everything else aside while this one took over my smoke time. Absolutely perfect for smoking outside with a morning cup of uber-dark coffee, and I am really not sure if the coffee brings out the flavor of the tobacco or if the tobacco brings out the flavor of the coffee, but it is a truly magical pairing indeed.

This is a complex, crreeeaaaammy blend with beautiful red virginias (ma fave) and a perfect pinch of background latakia that curls itself around the virginia like woodsmoke.

I only bought one tin and I'm to the point where I can see the bottom of the that tin which is a very large problem indeed.

Get this stuff now.

Hi Fellows,

Just placed an order for Mr.Gregs Chelsea Morning and Quiet Nights. These will be the first of his blends I have tried.

In RSA we call him Master Greg.
Had the pleasure of smoking some with Muddler yesterday. This, for me is one of the Masters top blends. For a while I had Laurel heights at the top of my list, which has been a great summer VA smoke. Recently I added Cairo. Chelsea Morning is a bench mark for me as the most complex blend I have smoked to date. At first light I was confronted by the power of Lats which opened the door for the sweetness of the Va to come through. It is well balanced, complex and just a brilliant balancing act between the different leaves added. They compliment each other fantastically. The tin we opened was just 6months old, would love to see what happens with a bit of cellar time!

Fantastic....... Well done Master Greg!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: