Chew a plug?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herrmen

Reaction score
OK, Just wondering if anyone chews pipe tobacco plugs? I know it used to happen back in the day and just curious if chewing a pipe tobacco plug happens anymore. Like maybe peterson 3 p's? It looks about the same size as a "chewing" plug e.g. bloodhound or days works but, for some reason haven't got the nerve to try the 3 p's.

Your thought would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dustin

I consumed a lot of tobacco in my day, cigars, ciggarettes, pipes and even some Scotch Snuff but I rank chewing tobacco up there with eating nose buggers uhgh :no: :no:

I don't know. I put a little piece of stonehaven or penzance, cant remember which now, in my mouth once, because it smelled so good and my friend was likes hey why don't you try it, kinda daring me...long story short it tasted like crap. I kinda figured it would.

I mean I don't really see any reason you couldn't, but Im betting it wouldn't be very enjoyable. If you want to chew tobacco they have tobacco for that

It's been since I was a teenager that I chewed any plug tobacco. I think I'd probably break a tooth trying to bite off a plug of Peterson's 3P.

If I'm not mistaken some of the twists were originally meant for chewing as well as smoking. Something about not being able to light up in a mine lol.....prob a good idea.

Gross, but Boxer's right. "Chunka chaw'll do ya."

Not for me. 8)

Boxerbuddy":8toe3du9 said:
If I'm not mistaken some of the twists were originally meant for chewing as well as smoking. Something about not being able to light up in a mine lol.....prob a good idea.
I just chewed on a little GH&Co Rum Twist last night - great tobacco sweetness and flavor accentuated by the rum, overall a pretty enjoyable experience - far more enjoyable than trying to get the stuff lit.

I've chewed some of the GH twists too... Sweet Whiskey, I think, was the one. Too strong for me, and my chawin' technique is poor, but the taste was very nice.

Perhaps this example is not terribly relevant but when I was a young lad of about 12, I "liberated" a plug of chewing 'baccy from some store.

Never having tried any and not into ciggies, it just looked....interesting I guess. Kinda like a brownie.

Bit off a small section and found the taste kind of sweet but also "hot" in a way. Only chewed it less than a minute (probably 10 seconds) before spitting the whole works out. The initial taste was pleasant, but after that......yech!

:suspect:

Threw it out and haven't had the urge to chew since then!

Cheers,

RR

I don't think that a pipe tobacco plug would have the appropriate moisture for chewing although I suppose you could.

I might be in the minority here, but when I was younger I kind of enjoyed a little Levi Garrett here and there. The classy ladies of the San Francisco Bay Area always went head-ever-heels for a young available man that could spew forth several milliliters of deep brown saliva from his craw. :scratch:

A post was required just because my current avatar is an old advertisement for a dual purpose tobacco.

I have never been tempted to try the pipe tobacco. I did like the skoal when I was a kid though. It was difficult to wash out of the braces and mom found out anyway. They always do. :geek:

monbla256":1vsz064o said:
I consumed a lot of tobacco in my day, cigars, ciggarettes, pipes and even some Scotch Snuff but I rank chewing tobacco up there with eating nose buggers uhgh :no: :no:
What! A Texican what don't chaw? Lordy, Lordy. I'm plumb shocked.

Boxer and Kyle are right. Chewing twist was also popular aboard ship from what I've read. But not everyone can handle it. The first time I chewed plug I sounded like a used car salesman advertising Buicks.

I once sent a three inch length of Brown Irish X to a pal in England thinking he'd know enough to smoke it. He sliced off a chew and got sick as a dog. He took the rest of it to his local and shared it. He said within ten to fifteen minutes he and his wife plus the bar maid were the only ones left in the pub.

I've still got some Beechnut, Levi Garrett and King Bee Sweet twist on hand for when I'm outside. I'll have to try some GH twist.
It's just not the same with dentures though.