Chief Catoonah - Princess Street Mixture

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Centurian 803

Reaction score
I was gifted a generous portion of this by my Secret Santa and I owe him big time! I wasn't familiar with the old Princess Street Mixture nor did I know about the throwdown to recreate the blend from a sample of the original. Therefore, all my comments are based on the sample I have without any prior experience with the original.

When I first opened the bag I knew I had an English Blend. There was a lightly smoky aroma, reminiscent of campfires and cool autumn days burning leaves in the back yard. Slightly stronger was a sweet smell that reminded me of candied fruit.

The charing light produced a generous volume of creamy smoke that was surprizingly sweet tasting. This confused me and made me wonder if I had an aromatic on my hands. It took several relights to get the tobacco to burn consistently (I recommend a little drying time before lighting up) but when it did the sweetness faded (but not entirely) and the latakia became recognisable. About halfway through the bowl the orientals chimed in and the rest of the bowl was what I would expect from a mild to medium english.

This is a very good tobacco and I recommend it to anyone who likes a medium english. You could smoke this all day and not get tired of it.

How's the nicotine/flavor body? Sounds alright. I've been into these "stronger oriental" based stuff lately.

8)

There's a bit of a buzz in the air regarding Princes Street. Several friends are finding it to their liking and recommend the blend highly.

I was also gifted a generous sample last month. I really enjoy mild English blends and LOVE Princes Street Mixture. I dearly hoping Santa rec'd my email link and ordered a pound for my cellar. I love MM965, Sasieni, Nightcap, etc. and Princes Street is leagues better than any of those great blends. Yeah, it's good. Come on St. Nick! (there's a new Ferndown under the tree that would be wonderful to break in the right way...)

mark":ghld6g4p said:
There's a bit of a buzz in the air regarding Princes Street. Several friends are finding it to their liking and recommend the blend highly.
You have friends? :p

This sounds great. Thanks for the lead, I'll have to purchase some in the near future.

DoverPipes":ja74oa83 said:
mark":ja74oa83 said:
You have friends? :p

Yes he does!

The same ones his parents have been paying since 3rd grade to come play Cowboys and Indians with him. (they make the little Japanese kid play cookie )

After I wrote that I KNEW it was a mistake.

I've written BOTH of your names in my book and drawn a line through them.

DrumsAndBeer":13q739m2 said:
This sounds great. Thanks for the lead, I'll have to purchase some in the near future.
Dick Silverman and I are both in the Hudson Valley Pipe Club. I get to see him all the time and pick his brain about tobacco. I'm also lucky enough to already have three pounds of PSM! :affraid:

Do yourself a favor and get some. It's actually brought me back to Lat blends.
IT'S THAT GOOD!!!! Hell, it won the contest for a reason........... :roll:

I totally agree with you guys on the Princes Street Mixture. It's a mild and mellow, very mellow smoke that brings back memories of the great old vintage blends of long ago. I'm old so I know!!!! LOL
An all day smoke for sure, that Dick recreated in spectacular fashion. I also acquired a pound of that stuff a few weeks ago and have enjoyed it daily since then.

docwatson":xo2pbafo said:
I also acquired a pound of that stuff a few weeks ago and have enjoyed it daily since then.
Yes Andy, I know that I missed Dick at the NY slow-smoke, stop rubbing it in!!!!

Al,
You must make it a point to attend next years event. It's such a great day of camaraderie and it would be great to have you there.
I'll try not to ramble on about what a fine time you missed. But if it's any consolation we missed you as well.

docwatson":uoe1c3wf said:
Al,
You must make it a point to attend next years event. It's such a great day of camaraderie and it would be great to have you there.
I'll try not to ramble on about what a fine time you missed. But if it's any consolation we missed you as well.
Hell, I'll "break his stones" if you won't!!!!
Al: You missed it AGAIN and it was GREAT!!!!
:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

It is a very lovely blend, imo. I would personally suggest to any pipesmoker - no matter experience level or style preference - to try it.

keen smoke":mt6w9f4e said:
It is a very lovely blend, imo. I would personally suggest to any pipesmoker - no matter experience level or style preference - to try it.
PS: Dick now has it in 2oz tins in addition to bulk :cheers: