Chili

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deathmetal

Reaction score
In Texas, we don't do laxatives. No need.

I'm throwing together a chili now. Browning onions with garlic and black pepper, soon to add meat, chopped tomatoes, cilantro and lime. Later on the black beans go in. The whole thing cooks down for an hour or so.

I'll probably spice it with some sliced jalapenos and a few tablespoons of chili powder, maybe some added cumin, a bit of some of the organic salsa left over from some visitors.

No hip ingredients like quinoa, arugula or gluten-free anything.

What's your favorite added chili ingredient? I knew one dude who threw in eggplant every time.

Chili and bacon can't hold a candle to my seedless prunes.

Cumin is good.............

I like a touch of cinnamon. I don't add any tomatoes. I like to BBQ the meats, then add them to the chili. I grow the peppers, then smoke them. Then they get diced and added...

Dutch sounds like he's been adapting moves from my secret playbook. If they're in season, I dice up cherries. Give em a minute in hot bacon fat with a dash of coriander and add them in the final hour.no one knows they're in there, they look like meat, and give it am earthy tang they can't quite place.

'Stead of bacon, git yourself some good ol' pork belly, cube it up real small, cook it in a cast iron skillet 'til it's crispy. Remove the pork belly; then brown the chili meat in the pb fat. Dang good!!!! Throw the drained pork belly into your chili pot about 30 mins. before serving. :cheers: FTRPLT

Cinnamon, tomatoes, cherries, peppers, pork belly, all those sound like winners.

Ever since I went behind the wheel though, I have to be very careful mixing concoctions like that.

Chocolate, question mark? I've seen it raved over by some, and I've seen it knocked by others. Then there's the bean thing... :roll:

NO BEANS !! Up here in N. Texas we DON'T put beans in Chili !! NEVER !! :twisted: :twisted: I like to use chopped up sirloin browned with yellow onions , LOT'S of onions :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":ggnoxrn2 said:
NO BEANS !! Up here in N. Texas we DON'T put beans in Chili !! NEVER !! :twisted: :twisted:  I like to use chopped up sirloin browned with yellow onions , LOT'S of onions  :twisted: :twisted:
Beans vs. No Beans in chili is a whole "nuther subject :p :p :p :cheers: FTRPLT

You eat it like any other stew lol. With a spoon or fork. You can add cheese to the finished product if you so desire. Many people also eat cornbread or some sort of biscuits on the side or some form of flat bread like a tortilla.

I LOVE bean chili!

Reading this thread made me really hungry with the recipes and suggestions you guys are posting!

tarheel7734":l3hndgb5 said:
You eat it like any other stew lol. With a spoon or fork. You can add cheese to the finished product if you so desire. Many people also eat cornbread or some sort of biscuits on the side or some form of flat bread like a tortilla.
Aha! I get it! Can you put it on beans?

Richard Burley":s0ps1klc said:
tarheel7734":s0ps1klc said:
Aha! I get it! Can you put it on beans?
Only if you dont inow any better lol.

Chilli was perfected in Illinois. Beans are a must. Use beef suet instead of pork belly or bacon. Using ground beef, beans, beef suet, salt, pepper, and varying chili spices there is a number of recipes equal to the number of people in Illinois. They really can all be different and really good.

Richard Burley":mqep1p35 said:
tarheel7734":mqep1p35 said:
Yep no beans. Just meat and spices.
I'm not disagreeing with this, but then what do you do with it? Put it on a roll, or what?
I've always put it in a bowl with lots of chopped onions, shredded quesadellia queso and crumble saltines on top , mix it all up, and enjoy !! :twisted: :twisted:

Carlos":00upjzw0 said:
Chilli was perfected in Illinois.  Beans are a must.  Use beef suet instead of pork belly or bacon.  Using ground beef, beans, beef suet, salt, pepper, and varying chili spices there is a number of recipes equal to the number of people in Illinois.  They really can all be different and really good.
Fantasy is a healthy thing Carlos , but we all know it comes from TEXAS !! And NO BEANS :twisted: :twisted:

I'm a chili head and I'm always making chili. I prefer my chili without beans but my wife wants it with beans. Fortunately she likes it spicy. Unfortunately my son hasn't adapted to spicy foods yet. Here is recipe I use for the family now. Its from a Wendy's copy cat recipe. It's a nice basic chili that can be adapted to any taste.

BENJAMIN'S CHILI

2 pounds ground beef
1 (29oz) can tomato sauce
1 (29oz) can no-salt kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (29oz) can no-salt pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 medium onion, diced
1 medium green bell pepper, diced
1 large celery stalk, diced
1 (29oz) can no-salt diced tomatoes
3 tablespoons McCormick chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground Mexican oregano (optional)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 cups water

Brown the ground beef in a skillet over medium heat; drain off the fat.

Using a fork, crumble the cooked beef into pea-size pieces.

In a large pot, combine the beef plus all the remaining ingredients, and bring to a simmer over low heat. Cook, stirring every 15 minutes, for 2 to 3 hours. Adjust seasoning to taste.