Churchwarden in public

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gumball

Reaction score
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zhGJXOE4HAE" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So, have you ever smoked a Churchwarden or any other outrageous pipe in public? And what was the reaction?

In the part of England that I live and work one seldom sees anyone smoking a pipe in public. Pipe smokers must still be out there somewhere, maybe hiding away in their smoking den doing a stock take of the supplies in their cellar :lol:

I had a very relaxing smoke the other week wandering around the historic city areas on a lazy sunny sunday afternoon and did get a couple of double-takes from people walking past. I wasn't smoking a churchwarden though :D I think that may be just a bit too OTT.

I do every now and again - doesn't seem to raise any eyebrows in New Mexico...

I don't smoke my pipes in public, let alone smoke my churchwarden; like the fellow in the video says : "I don't want to be that guy". I think I'm much to self-aware. :oops:

My neighborhood is filled to the rim with artsy types (myself included I'm afraid to say), and I don't want to be a cliché. Then again, maybe it's time to rise up, and proudly smoke my briars in public.
Just like you say, over here as well it is very rare to see anyone smoking a pipe in the streets.

A few months ago, in a bar in Budapest, I saw a guy my age smoking a churchwarden. He was trying his best not to look uncomfortable. I thought it looked pretty silly. I think, however, if you have enough confidence and the image to go with it, you could pull off smoking a churchwarden. I'm thinking beard and wizard robe.

bendeleugenaars":9qu3cpw4 said:
I think, however, if you have enough confidence and the image to go with it, you could pull off smoking a churchwarden. I'm thinking beard and wizard robe.
Interesting question. I think there is also a certain age at which we are given carte blanche to be as eccentric as we care to be. Figuring out if and when you have reached that milestone is not always clear. A friend of mine wants to be like certain gentlemen from an older generation who wear mechanic's coveralls everyday. My father had friends who always dressed in that manner, no matter what they had planned for the day. My friend loves the idea of going about dressed in coveralls, but his wife always tells him that he's not old enough to pull off that look, which of course prompts him to ask every year if he's now old enough.
There is only one person I ever see in my little corner of the world who smokes a pipe, and he looks to be the epitome of the classic pipe smoker: older, distinguished looking gentleman, always wears a tweed jacket and tie, as well as a hat. He smokes an aluminum pipe while riding his bicycle. He looks perfectly natural with his pipe, and I want very much to be like him when I get older, even though I'm not that young anymore. I guess being comfortable in one's own skin is a start, and not being bothered by what others may think.

Don't be afraid to be "that guy" - better to be afraid of letting your worry of what your neighbors think curtail your enjoyment of life - and churchwardens...

That being said, at least tie your robe before fetching the paper :)

(showing my age here...)
I live near a high-school and community college campus, and I have to say, looking at the way the kids dress these days, sipping a warden in public seems somewhat normal... :suspect:

Not sure if this counts, but I'm a professor, so at work I can and am expected to sit outside my office and smoke a pipe. The students seem to get a kick out of it. In essence, I am the stereotype.

:farao:

Amenhotep04":mx8knqxr said:
Not sure if this counts, but I'm a professor, so at work I can and am expected to sit outside my office and smoke a pipe. The students seem to get a kick out of it. In essence, I am the stereotype.
I'm in the same situation... it's honestly a little disappointing how few professors look the part anymore. (I suppose there are many quality professor stereotypes to follow, but the Tweedy Academic is a dying breed.)

A pipe can in certain situations serve as an excellent barometer for measuring whether or not and to what degree any given place, set of circumstances, company, atmosphere, etc is deserving of your presence, respect and consideration.

There are of course exceptions as always, but for the most part the above is true. If enjoying a pipe is part of who you are, then that is something that doesn't change no matter who knows it or what they think about it.

I'm a man who enjoys smokin a pipe. Can't change the pipe part any easier than changing the man part.

I got my twig & berries, the world is my urinal and I smoke my damn pipe wherever/whenever I can and feel like havin a pipe.

That said, I wouldn't smoke a warden in "public". Mostly because it's pretty inconvenient. I do smoke cobs in "public" tho.

Doc Manhattan":b0xhry2c said:
Amenhotep04":b0xhry2c said:
I'm in the same situation... it's honestly a little disappointing how few professors look the part anymore. (I suppose there are many quality professor stereotypes to follow, but the Tweedy Academic is a dying breed.)
Yeah, very few around anymore. There were three of us that would meet at a pub and smoke, but I think for them it was just a phase. Another friend has a young family, and he doesn't smoke around them. About the only time I see several faculty smoking pipes in public is during conferences. And during those times, I bring the pipes. But during those times, we sit, smoke, and share ideas. . . . great ideas. The atmosphere is consistent with 'breathing smoke' of days gone by.

:farao:

I smoke in public all the time. Luckily I've never really cared what other people think of me mostly because none of them have ever offered to pay any of my bills. Figger if they don't want to pay my bills, I don't need to pay attention to what they think. Of course, if what they think is pleasant and friendly (which it mostly is) then I do care. Even if they don't also offer to pay any of my bills.

I don't get a lot of weird looks though, mostly people who are interested in what I'm doing. They'll come over and start talking and either remark on the pipe or not. I find that most people really enjoy the smell so they come on over and talk.

A lot of times, when it's another man, he'll start talking about how he used to smoke a pipe or still does or something and he gets to thinking that he should go home and fire one up.

I'm older now but even when I was 18 I smoked in public. Some people would say I was too young to be smoking a pipe. I would tell them they were too ignorant to be forming opinions. Made for nice chatter.

But really, even then I just kept on going and most people were ok with it. I find that most people are ok with most things, it's just a few who aren't content with who they are that like to stir the pot when they see someone who is.

Walking? Absolutely not.

But sitting down, say at an outdoor cafe where it's allowed? Very rarely...

Churchwarden in public? Hmmm...? Don't own one myself. Probably because I couldn't see myself sitting anywhere smoking one. Don't know why? Just can't. Public pipe smoking in general though is a good thing. Cigarette smokers look at you like you're cool, but certainly not as cool as them. Non-smokers look at you like you're the anti-christ. Women compliment you on the smell if you're puffing some Killington or BCAQ. Men seem to reference their grandpa, and everyone thinks you're smarter than you really are. I have a beard and glasses. This automatically makes me a genius in the minds of most, but I do live in Dayton. A town where people who do benefits banks and sling crack are brainiacs and those who work are chumps. Little does the public know, I'm only a chump.

Frost":y3wvu2zj said:
I'm a man who enjoys smokin a pipe. Can't change the pipe part any easier than changing the man part.

I got my twig & berries, the world is my urinal and I smoke my damn pipe wherever/whenever I can and feel like havin a pipe.
At my age, with almost no hair left and sporting a full grey beard, wearing clothes in which I feel comfortable, I do what I like in public. When I eat in a restaurant and feel like using my fingers to get my food into my mouth, I do so. And I smoke my pipe and use snuff in public, where I'm allowed to do so.

I always smoke a good smelling tobacco, no latakia, and if someone don't like it, they can move on.

I don't have a churchwarden yet but I'm waiting for a MacQueens Wizard which I WILL smoke in public, if only to get people looking at me and ask questions.

I'm old enough to not care anymore about what people thing of me. I am who I am and I'm happy with who I am. Sela.

I would smoke a churchwarden in public, although inconvenient I think it would be a great conversation starter, maybe inspire interest in others to try pipe smoking, keeps the practice alive.

Think about it. What made you take up pipe smoking? observing someone else do it, but before I get off too far subject I will get back to the churchwarden issue.

I have taken my churchwardens with me on several trips here and there about town, the only thing that stopped me was the uncertainty of smoking being allowed in the places I was at, I looked around for other smokers, cigarettes or the like, ashtrays etc. Something to give me a green light.

But no one was smoking, I not opposed to being "that guy" when its defined as being different but I don't care to be "that guy" when its defined as the inconsiderate A-hole who breaks the rules in a non-smoking area.

I always looks for signs that smoking is tolerated when I am out and about, nursery/garden centers, outdoor markets, parks etc. But its getting hard to gauge, I don't even see cigarette smokers out in the open in public places.

I think even they are gun shy about lighting up with all the anti-smoking BS. As someone else stated you are looked at as the Anti-Christ if you smoke in the wrong place.

Churchwarden in public absolutely, As far as self image someone out there thinks you an idiot no matter what you do or don't do. no worries just be yourself.

:cheers:

I just bought myself a Churchwarden, but I don't know about looking like a LOTR nut in public! I suppose some people might actually think it's cool, but my skull meerschaum already gets me odd looks!

I have a nice sub collection of Churchwardens but not a good pipe to walk around with.
…… In Public? Living in Manhattan these days, if you are not careful you can get a summons for smoking.

I am also thinking of adding a Warden to my small collection. I don't know why,but I think It would be an easy pipe to smoke (in regards to distance of pipe to mouth, hand action thingy). And no I wouldn't take it with me about the town............ Just sayin