Churchwarden in public

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I try and make it out into the public whenever i smoke so as to let people silently know there are a few people who will take the time to enjoy something. Also my B&M is located on the best people watching street in my city so i like to smoke out in front of it(5 meters from the entrance of course) so as to pique peoples interests and drum up business on the fence-sitters who wouldn't normally just walk into the shop. i do get the occasional free coffee that way as well 8)

But as to a churchwarden, maybe if they let me bring a chair out on the sidewalk. But i do smoke all my briars and meerschaums!

Smoked my churchwarden for the first time yesterday. Great smoke and the long stem was nice. Don't think I could smoke one in public unless I was at a fantasy convention or something though. :)

Unfortunately, I live in Colorado....and everyone seems to think they're deputized as nicotine police. If you're not jogging, cycling, hiking, or otherwise abusing your free time, they eye you suspiciously. If you were to go about smoking a pipe, with a smile on your face, you'd surely be burned at the stake. I take solace in having secured lodgings in a remote mountain home on 35 acres where I can knock about with pipe in hand all day long if I wish!

Reactions from other when I have smoked in public has always been to the smell. They love it and want me to smoke so they can enjoy the smell. Kinda makes me feel like a glade plugin.

First of all - hello all!
I hope you don't mind a bit of necro-posting. :)

I'm a 25 years old history and sociology student from Croatia (Europe) with a depressingly large list of interests and hobbies.

I was quite satisfied to lurk here, having all my questions answered after a bit of digging (like - is there a point in cellaring flake and plug tobaccos (it seems not, if it's to judge the category by McB Navy Flake)), but on this opportunity I find myself compelled to chime in.

For a bit of context - it indeed was a cosplay moment, but I did take a few strolls without the googles and the hat (and the fruit in hand). The warden (link: cdn.gauntleys.com/productimages/800/pipes/img_4064.jpg ) is a surprisingly good clencher, featherlight and with a nice wide flat fishtail.

196697_10150145042606483_702991482_6745041_699060_n.jpg

p.s. I'm sorry for the broken links. They'll work fine if you c/p them into the browser's address bar.

Actually, a week ago Tuesday I dismissed my seminar early for the holidays and was smoking one of my mini-church wardens in one of the few designated smoking areas on campus (windswept and 50 feet from any building). One of the scurrying students crossed the street to say, "Really cool, pipe, Prof."

PS -welcome, Mordechaj

gandalfpc:

The thing is you're already "that guy," perhaps. You didn't take to smoking a pipe to win any popularity contests. If you want to smoke and it's allowed, so be it, t's a nice way to meet other pipe men, who are out there but maybe as shy as you.

At this point, hipster poseurs use pipes as fashion accessories are "that guy," to me. Once in a while I'll be minding my own business smoking my pipe and enjoying book, and some asshat will sit down next to me with a cheap, beat-up Grabow, unlit, pretending to smoke, and start talking like he's some "English chap." As if we're supposed to both "get the joke," and carry on. I usually just stare blankly, return to my book and keep reading. Response not warranted.

Normally, I get nothing, because I'm me. I'm smoking a pipe. I've been told constantly how perfect it is. I've always been eccentric. I've never truly cared, especially after umpteenth half-assed attempts at being normal, all unsuccessful (mostly at the suggestion of peers in my early youth). Going with my own flow was the best thing I ever did (also a good indicator when it's "okay" to just be eccentric if that's where you fit in). If the shoe fits...

Also, to second that opinion posted before mine, they all really do have no class anyway. :lol:

My pipe is not an accessory, and I am not my pipe. I'm just enjoying the benefits. 8)

Kyle Weiss":rrtw5j8w said:
At this point, hipster poseurs use pipes as fashion accessories are "that guy," to me. Once in a while I'll be minding my own business smoking my pipe and enjoying book, and some asshat will sit down next to me with a cheap, beat-up Grabow, unlit, pretending to smoke, and start talking like he's some "English chap." As if we're supposed to both "get the joke," and carry on. I usually just stare blankly, return to my book and keep reading. Response not warranted.

Normally, I get nothing, because I'm me. I'm smoking a pipe. I've been told constantly how perfect it is. I've always been eccentric. I've never truly cared, especially after umpteenth half-assed attempts at being normal, all unsuccessful (mostly at the suggestion of peers in my early youth). Going with my own flow was the best thing I ever did (also a good indicator when it's "okay" to just be eccentric if that's where you fit in). If the shoe fits...

Also, to second that opinion posted before mine, they all really do have no class anyway. :lol:

My pipe is not an accessory, and I am not my pipe. I'm just enjoying the benefits. 8)
Good post. Pretty much sums me up too. If YOU like to smoke your churchwarden in public then bloody well smoke it. Who gives a rats ass what anyone else thinks?

Pipe smoking in public has become so uncommon, it's easy to get a second look.

I dont have a "Churchwarden" but after watching you smoke yours, it seemed as if it would be very comfortable to smoke. Especially while sitting, as you didnt have much arm movement . I kind of want one LOL.

As far as could I smoke a Churchwarden in public ? Yeah, I could.
I was ranch raised, and I wear felt cowboy hats, always have.
Stetsons in the past, but nowadays its my Custom made Silverbelly.
And theres times , I will wear my buckaroos outside my pants , if I go to town and theres dung all over them. (Im not going to pull my pants over the boots, and get dung on the insides of my pant legs just to please the town folk)
I have traveled quite a bit around our country, and a couple others, where I just didnt fit in.
But I always did my thing, and there were times that a whole crowd would look at me . But I fared well.

:D LOL, try being a white man under a Cowboy hat, in an all black bar. ! I guarantee you, all eyes turned my way when I walked in.
:D or LOL, winning the men in chaps contest at a Biker bar, standing next to guys with "colors" on theyre vests, and me , under a cowboy hat. Ha and I won !

Some people will respect you for being yourself,
and others will laugh.

The main thing is , to be content with yourself , in your own skin. And let the rest of the world do as they wish.
As long as we dont interfere with others in a bad way, and they dont interfere with us,,,,, then it doesnt really matter.

I say,,,,,,,Enjoy those Churchwardens !!!and be proud !!!!

Great post, Dusty. 8) :lol: It seems many of us here are comfortable diplomats of nonconformity. 8)

Simple Man":35bqg7bk said:
I stopped being "cool" nearly 30 years ago. :lol:
Well, what'ja go and do a silly thing like that for? :lol:

Cool is an inner state of being rather than an outward presentation, by my recollection. It's cumulative: you certainly do earn it over time if done right. Suddenly it all goes beyond "cool" and loses all definition. Simplicity sets in, and trying is pointless. Which is even cooler. See? It's cumulative. 8)

...but really, I fear breaking a pipe in travel, and one of those might prove ungainly.

Simple Man":m4lek7pg said:
Kyle Weiss":m4lek7pg said:
Simple Man":m4lek7pg said:
I stopped being "cool" nearly 30 years ago. :lol:
Well, what'ja go and do a silly thing like that for? :lol:

Cool is an inner state of being rather than an outward presentation, by my recollection. It's cumulative: you certainly do earn it over time if done right. Suddenly it all goes beyond "cool" and loses all definition. Simplicity sets in, and trying is pointless. Which is even cooler. See? It's cumulative. 8)

...but really, I fear breaking a pipe in travel, and one of those might prove ungainly.
I agree... you seem to have missed this part of my quote, "as what other people perceive as cool"... I am indeed very cool! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes, but people really do perceive it! You're just reinventing upon which scale it is gauged: your own! 8) See? You haven't given up being cool--I knew better. :p

the only reason for don't smoke a churchwarden in public is because the churchwarden is my "reading book pipe", so I smoke it when I read a book.
and usually I don't read a book in public...