Churchwarden in public

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I lived in rural PA for a number of years and frequently smoked in the city parks there while my kids played. I usually smoke a meerschaum (Sherlock Holmes effigy) when I'm outside due to wind. I often had the police called out to check up on me to make sure I wasn't smoking pot. I would gladly settle for double takes than a K-9 sniffing me. LOL

Jim

huffelpuff":2k4qzgmg said:
I lived in rural PA for a number of years and frequently smoked in the city parks there while my kids played. I usually smoke a meerschaum (Sherlock Holmes effigy) when I'm outside due to wind. I often had the police called out to check up on me to make sure I wasn't smoking pot. I would gladly settle for double takes than a K-9 sniffing me. LOL

Jim
Must have been a place just big enough to have cops that rotated shift often enough not to "understand" what you were actually doing, and just small enough to not know the difference. Sheesh. How embarrassing. :( For everyone involved.

The funny thing was it was the same officer every time. He used to actually watch me from his back porch at one of the parks when he was off duty. He was always very nice about it but he still examined my pipe and had the dog check me out every time. Needless to say the dog always found my meds for chronic pain from arthritis. Always keep the prescription label well protected and smudge free.

Wow, I never once thought about this. Matter of fact, I am about to post a question about a kind of meer churchwarden.

Funny....

I'm kind of curious where "in public" is to you guys. It's becoming more and more difficult in my neck of the woods to smoke anything out amongst the villagers here without being run out of town via torches and pitchforks (in Texas of all places, what wouldathunkit?)

To answer the original question, though, yes I would smoke my 'warden in public. If it were legally permitted, had time, etc. Seems that if I'm in public, I'm usually in a hurry to get what I'm doing done so I can escape back to solitude.

seems as if this thread has taken on two aspects besides the one it started with :p As far as smoking a Churchwarden style pipe in public, I'm pressuming it is meant smoking it when one is "out-and-about" rather than sitting in a chair at home? For me, that would NOT be something I would do as the design of this style does not lend itself to getting in and out of vehicles, clenching in ones teeth handsfree smoking etc. For myself, I'm not a fan of the style and only own one, a clay I bought years ago to try out a clay pipe and I usually just smoke it with one of my straight Virginias late in the evening while sitting in a chair and then maybe only once every two months or so.
As for smoking "in public" I've been known to do it VERY OFTEN over the past 40 years of smoking and still do. Usually a nice grp3 1/4 bent Bulldog as it will slip in a coat pocket well, the shape handles wind well, and it works well for hands free smoking while driving my car. Never really encountered much resistance to it, but then I don't get in someones face about my "right" to smoke. I put it away when it is obvious it is not wanted, taking it back out and lighting up when I'm out of that situation. Times change, we should to :p

monbla256":091ym6sw said:
Times change, we should to :p
True. This tread had two meanings, the ergonomics of a churchwarden and the "image" of the churchwarden (or smoking in public in general). This has fostered everything belligerence, compliance, shyness, self-consciousness and ideals, but in reality, I think a churchwarden would function quite well in public. :lol: There's always that nice, long stem that can be used to "make your point" if you need to in a discussion. 8)

As for people's comfort in a social setting (or reacting to those who vehemently dislike smoke in any form), to each his own. I try not to irritate people and I expect them not to irritate me, and I always choose my battles wisely. 8)

I don't usually use a churchwarden in public merely due to the lack of practicality. Where do ya put it when you're not smoking it? My out and about pipes are typically far more portable.

Having said that, if I'm just outside my house on a nice day reading a book, I may pull out the CW.

The last time I used my CW while more than 50 feet from my front door was about a year and a half ago. I went down the shore and had it with me at the beach. For storage I just slipped it stem down into one of the loops in my shorts.

If most of us who smoke in public seem to be willing to smoke a churchwarden (when practical) how about the even more unusual? (huge freehand, calabash gourd, cavalier, etc) again assuming it was practical to do so? Same response? My calabash did get a few stares, but my neighbors seem used to me; we'll see if my cavalier gets the same response when it arrives. . . .