Churchwarden Pipes, Benefits?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amystika

Reaction score
So being a new pipe smoker, I have tried a few different pipes and I believe the ones I enjoy the most is a good churchwarden. This being said, I wanted to tell you why I think just this.

I am smoking a MacQueen White Wizard which is a total length of about 16" This makes for quite an easy relaxing rest on my arm while enjoying a good smoke.

The smoke seems to burn incredibly smooth and cool, which I can only believe would help in reducing the chances of tongue bite.

and damnit, they look cool!

I am just curious if anyone else is smoking a churchwarden if they could add to this list!

My better half does, and it has its own set of parameters, drawbacks and benefits.

Drawbacks:

* tough to clean
* condenses smoke more easily (ergo, wet smoke)
* easier to break
* difficult to transport (breakage)
* tougher to learn to smoke, as they are different than other pipes

Benefits:

* Cooler smoke (longer stem)
* Looks cool (I guess, ain't my thing, but whatever)
* Makes you feel like Gandalf (again, whatever) :lol:
* Looks good on the bookshelf/mantle
* Makes a good pointer at your adversary when you prove them wrong in a discussion

I suppose that If need be It could make a good weapon.... or eye gouger

jefe1037":4mob4i7g said:
Kyle Weiss":4mob4i7g said:
jefe1037":4mob4i7g said:
please don't feed the wildlife
The wildlife was more on topic than thou. 8) Nice try, though. :p
I have never claimed to be on topic.
The wildlife of all genus and species is well-fed tonight, it seems. :p

Thought they were "neat" when I was in my 20's and bought a couple of 12" clay churches. Still have one though have not smoked it in probably 20 years now. Just too long and unwieldy for me and i don't like the looks of briar churches personaly JMHO :p

I have to agree that they have pros and cons, but I've always loved them. I make some very rustic style churchwardens with bamboo stems at home and find they are perfect for lounging in the garden and reading when the weather is nice. Not quite so good when you're briskly walking to the shops!

If you think a briar churchwarden gives a cool smoke try a meerschaum or better still a clay.Claypipe13 sells several designs of clay pipes on Ebay UK , including a 13 inch churchwarden , but I do not think he posts to the US. Pipeman1947 :pirate: :pirate:

I love them, I just broke my 11" clay tavern pipe last year and I really miss it. I am also thinking about picking up a MacQueen Wizard pipe myself, seems like a nice pipe for the money.

I picked up a MacQueen Wizard a few weeks ago...the Briar bowl version. It's really a nice pipe and smokes well. I bought the display holder as well and it looks nice sitting on my coffee table in the den. It makes for a nice smoke when you are just sitting around, but is impractical for walking around use. It is nice to be able to hold the bowl down near your belly when sitting though.

My best friend bought me a cheap churchwarden back when I was in college, (Gandalf was cool back then too) and I really like it. However, If I were to hold it like Gandalf, by the bowl, I'd burn my hand. The walls are so thin, the only way to hold it is by the stem. Maybe some day I'll make a new bowl for it. No sense wasting a good long stem like that.

Pro: smoke cool ... unique

Con: portability ... maintenance ... a little too unique ... kinda gormy looking*

*gormy - adj ... pron: GAW-mee ... def: Maine-ism meaning clumsy or awkward ... context: The gormy bastid dropped a case of bee-yuh ovuhbowuhd.

I had a churchwarden years ago and don't know what became of it. I remember it being awkward for me to smoke. Especially with lighting and tamping. I've always considered them to be novel but still they have their pros.

I've got a couple/three and I enjoy them. As has been said, there are ups and downs to them. Mine are:

Ups..easy to read whilst smoking, nice to let it sit on your belly, looks cool.

Downs...gets wet easy.

Cooler..eh, maybe I guess.