Cigar blends/Billy Budd vs. Storm Front

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LIPIPE

Reaction score
I like Billy Budd but I have not had the pleasure of sampling Storm Front. I note that several brothers like Storm Front. I was wondering if any of you have smoked both blends and if so how they compare.

Great topic. I'm curious about this as well. I hope to try Billy Budd tonight as a matter of fact.

cigarstorejay: Read Tobaccoreviews.com before you smoke the Billy. Unless your wife is away she might throw you out into the cold night. If she doesn't, your're a lucky guy. Don't push it by giving her a good night kiss. My advice is to sneak into bed long after she has fallen deep asleep. Billy Budd is like boot camp. You are a civilian when you arrive. You are foul mouthed ol' limey bastard when you graduate. It is that f**kin' great, and even better with a scotch wash down. As a matter of fact make that a double.

LIPIPE":9722t0tl said:
cigarstorejay: Read Tobaccoreviews.com before you smoke the Billy. Unless your wife is away she might throw you out into the cold night. If she doesn't, your're a lucky guy. Don't push it by giving her a good night kiss. My advice is to sneak into bed long after she has fallen deep asleep. Billy Budd is like boot camp. You are a civilian when you arrive. You are foul mouthed ol' limey bastard when you graduate. It is that f**kin' great, and even better with a scotch wash down. As a matter of fact make that a double.
I spit my iced tea when I read your response! I've been foul mouthed for quite a while, the limey part is a work in progress. :lol:

My wife agreed with you, btw. She would totally throw me out and it's damn cold in NJ today.

@cigarstorejay: If you are already foul mouthed you are semi accomplished. In that regard, as soon as I plan a trip down to South Jersey you, I and
Stormcrow have a bit of man time to set aside. I'll bring a pipe and a Partagas Black Label Magnifico. Stinkers united we are and long live the Brotherhood!

I've had both, and the two blends could not be more different from one another. While Billy Budd has cigar leaf in it, the flavor of it is almost entirely masked by the latakia component. Storm Front has no latakia whatsoever, and while the cigar leaf doesn't dominate the blend, it does provide a nice "texture" and the flavor dips in as an occasional "mmm, yum" surprise throughout the smoke.

Thanks bud. That is precisely the info I was seeking. Storm Front is up front on my next 4noggins order. I'll give Rich Gottlieb a heads up to be sure he has it blended and stocked. I enjoy cigar leaf and latakia so it's a hard choice. Perhaps Storm Front will be a rotational winner for me. I keep a small jar of my own Partagas Black flakes for addition to Engine 99. Just my personal adjustment to an otherwise favorite blend.

LIPIPE":hkc4codb said:
@cigarstorejay: If you are already foul mouthed you are semi accomplished. In that regard, as soon as I plan a trip down to South Jersey you, I and
Stormcrow have a bit of man time to set aside. I'll bring a pipe and a Partagas Black Label Magnifico. Stinkers united we are and long live the Brotherhood!
Absolutely. Long live indeed!

Marty's imaginative metaphors and scenarios always catch me off guard and make me laugh. :lol:

I love me some Storm Front, but a cigar leaf blend with some Latakia? Interesting.

Puff Daddy":qjbawvbi said:
Kyle Weiss":qjbawvbi said:
... a cigar leaf blend with some Latakia? Interesting.
GL Pease Robusto
Robert Lewis 123 Mixture
;)
Yea, Key Largo and Habana Daydream both have lat and cigar leaf too though I've tried neither. I did have 123 and like Billy Budd, I felt the lat was overdone...though Im a bad judge since IMO anything more than 10% lat is overdone.

If you're interested in another non-lat cigar leaf blend with VA instead of Burley, I can highly recommend VA Spice.

I would guess it's kind of safe to say that if you smoke a cigar, even only now and then, a sprinkling of the leaf in a pipe tickles the palate. On the other hand latakia is a horse of a different color. You either love it or hate it. I don't tolerate very much virginia tobaccos in a smoke as they remind me of nails which I absolutely hate. Conversely, I love latakia so much that I'd spray it on my chest if they made latakia cologne. Right now I'm enjoying a bowl of Billy Budd in a Hilson Houston billiard with a side of Pinch scotch on cubes and this lion is comfortable in his cave this dreary and cold afternoon. No lioness needed now.

I like them both. Storm Front is my early day cigar leaf smoke because it is fairly light and delicate, Billy Budd later in the day because it is much heavier and stronger. I always press BB into a cake, it is much smoother that way.

I realize that this is not the Morning Smoke thread, but the cigar leaf bland I have out right now is Oriental Dusk, and I like it a lot. It was my first smoke of the day today, and my first smoke when I got home. You have to like the orientals, but this is a great blend too!

At the office I smoke friendlier blends as far as roomnote goes - no cigar blends there.