Cigar/Pipe lounges have become less friendly places?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lysander

Reaction score
A decade ago everyone sitting at my local B&M's lounge was engaged in conversation. We discussed politics, news, stocks, sports, hunting, fishing, etc. Now the majority smokers are in their bubble paying attention only to their media device. Sometimes the lounge will be full and still be eerily quiet. For the life of me, I can't enjoy watching someone play on Facebook. I've started bringing a book, but I'd rather converse.

Has the nature of your "home" lounge changed?

Guess it's the way our society seems to be going these days. All I see anymore is folks holding their little devices and staring into them as they walk down the street, sitting over coffee or food, or driving!

:suspect:

Cheers?

RR

Better they be texting in the smoking room than behind the wheel! :roll:

Yes, I have noticed this phenomenon over and over. I remember thinking on several occasions that this is not the traditional atmosphere you would have experienced decades ago at your local tobacconist.

Then again, there have been times when the conversation became so heated over political matters, some folks had to get up and leave. Well I say some folks. Actually the guy was the only liberal in the smoking room, and nobody was giving him anything free that day except a piece of their mind.

I suppose it IS easier for some people to get along, when their conversation is distracted by electronic device.

...tis a shame indeed...good conversation in what should be a open and mature setting is difficult to find...I normally don't discuss politics, sex, or religion, rather I'm more interested in discussing pipes, tobaccos, accessories, etc. with those who should be in a position to do so.

I believe that's why this forum can be an important outlet for many who can't find those discussions they desire.

...just my $.02...
:sunny:

This isn't an issue with just cigar and pipe lounges, this is a problem everywhere.

My wife and I go out to dinner (just the two of us) about once a month. That's all we can manage between having two little ones at home and demanding work schedules. Our date nights have one rule (no smart phones). She brings her phone in case the sitter calls but it remains in her purse, and I leave mine at home. We have drinks, conversation and usually a good meal. I can't tell you how many other couples we see, young and old, glued to their smart phones, eye's bugged out, playing Words with Friends, checking sports scores and perhaps even trying desperately to pretend that they or the person(s) they are with are not there.

It's an epidemic. :( :fpalm:

This is a result of the instant gratification fixation our society/culture has.

IMO.

ftrplt":n4uunseq said:
Agree that this behavior is THE cultural blight at the moment. :suspect: FTRPLT
I think it's a symptom, and not the problem, but that's just me.

I would say that until recently the lounge I frequent was 80% dominated by a loud tv with the occasional shouting at it during sports and 20 percent conversation with some folks on smartphones during both.

I'm quite guily of that. I'm often on here if the conversation or tv doesn't suite me.

Recently one of the regulars brought in a cd player or MP3 streaming device and that has helped the conversation. Football season being over helped as well.

Sounds like the 21st century to me. I know of family's that communicate with each other IN THEIR HOMES this way !! Ya need to get with the program !! :twisted: :twisted: Why would someone want to even speak DIRECTLY to another human being! Yech !! Why do you think we buy these devices !! :twisted: :twisted:

I live in Northern Virginia so I go to Old Virginia Tobacco Company shops fairly frequently. Manassas location was my primary spot. It had no lounge. We all hung out and talked together. It was great. Some of the other locations have lounges in the back of the store so you exclude talking to any of the employees if you go there and run the risk of sitting in a room by yourself or with people ignoring you. I don't like that so I generally hang out at the front of the store with the employees at those locations. Manassas move to a larger location recently and now has a lounge area at the front of the store. This is my preference. Woodbridge is like that also.

Back in the late '60s early '70s the Edward's store in Dallas had a bar/counter island in the middle of the store with bar stools all around it and everyone would sit around and smoke and talk about whatever. The store in Ft. Worth had an elongated C against a wall due to it's size with the stools around it. "Course there were no cigars back then, just Edward's pipes around the walls and Edward's blends in the apothecary jars and in zip-lock bags in a display. It was ALL focused on PIPE SMOKING and that's what folks did there back then. I've not been in an Edward's store since the mid '70s so I can't say what they are like today but I liked the arraingment they had back then :twisted:

As a younger guy, I don't have as much of an issue with people being on their phones. I have also gone to many lounges/shops and had great conversation, traded business cards and conversation.

I've had the same conversation regarding phones (in a cigar shop) in which an older gentleman (65-70) was absolutely berating my generation about being on our phones, then promptly huffed and ignored the conversation by reading the paper. Same behavior, different medium.

Went to a seminar on working with people from different generations and the same thing happened. Folks older than me asking "why are the kids nowadays on their phones all the time?" then promptly ignoring the speaker and reading a book, newspaper, writing their grocery list, etc.

PozzSka":4h6r8dp0 said:
As a younger guy, I don't have as much of an issue with people being on their phones.  I have also gone to many lounges/shops and had great conversation, traded business cards and conversation.

I've had the same conversation regarding phones (in a cigar shop) in which an older gentleman (65-70) was absolutely berating my generation about being on our phones, then promptly huffed and ignored the conversation by reading the paper.  Same behavior, different medium.

Went to a seminar on working with people from different generations and the same thing happened.  Folks older than me asking "why are the kids nowadays on their phones all the time?" then promptly ignoring the speaker and reading a book, newspaper, writing their grocery list, etc.
I wondered how long it would be before this post was hijacked !! Since we are talking about folks on their cell phones now I'll add my 2 cents worth, if someone is speaking with you and answers their phone and carries on a conversation with someone else on the phone while talking with you, THAT IS JUST PLAIN RUDNESS on their part. Unless it's a life/death emergency either excuse yourself from the conversation and take the call or tell the folks calling you are busy and will get back to them !! When someone does this to me, I walk away and feel no need to converse with them any more ! Nor do I feel the need to appologize, they are being rude with me so deserve a return of rudness IMHO  :twisted: :twisted:

OK. I get into town, once a month, whether I need to or not. When I do, I go to the only real pipe and cigar place there. Most of the time there are more than a few fellows in the 'lounge' area, watching a black and white Bogart era movie on a flat screen. Most of them are sucking on cigars as if to pull them inside out. Most of them are married, and I probably brought the average age down to around 75 years old. I sell my pipes, try new tobaccos, talk to the in house blender and browse. Occasionally, a woman pops her head in with a frown, usually holding her breath, and barks out a name. As the one named rises, the others slump down in their chairs and increase their puffing pace, knowing soon the bell will toll for them as well...... I realize then, that this is the bench of shame. You know the ones, in front of craft stores, clothing shops and hair salons, where the male of the species is dumped so the Boss can get her business done without embarrassment..

I get it, I do.... but nobody puts Bobby in the corner. No body.

Ozark Wizard":imeb81ec said:
OK. I get into town, once a month, whether I need to or not. When I do, I go to the only real pipe and cigar place there. Most of the time there are more than a few fellows in the 'lounge' area, watching a black and white Bogart era movie on a flat screen. Most of them are sucking on cigars as if to pull them inside out. Most of them are married, and I probably brought the average age down to around 75 years old. I sell my pipes, try new tobaccos, talk to the in house blender and browse. Occasionally, a woman pops her head in with a frown, usually holding her breath, and barks out a name. As the one named rises, the others slump down in their chairs and increase their puffing pace, knowing soon the bell will toll for them as well...... I realize then, that this is the bench of shame. You know the ones, in front of craft stores, clothing shops and hair salons, where the male of the species is dumped so the Boss can get her business done without embarrassment..

I get it, I do.... but nobody puts Bobby in the corner. No body.  
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: