Cigar Rolling....A LOT Harder than it looks

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotties22

Reaction score
So I bought some whole leaf tobacco to make a pipe blend with. While I was at it I picked up a pound of ligero leaves and thought I would try my hand at cigar rolling (my husband has about 500 in the bookcase he has converted into a humidor). Here are my first two....really really bad. This is going to take a lot of practice. Good thing I still have 3 lbs of tobacco in the basement
:lol!:

dscn2517.jpg

Anyone else tried this?? Any tips?

Scottie

I know there are a number of good videos in YouTube that may help you - no personal experience to share though...

LOL! Yeah, this is pretty damn hard. To be perfectly honest, I imagine rolling a usable cigar is MUCH harder than making a usable pipe. Good on ya for taking the plunge.

If I were an advice giving man(and I am), I'd say start rolling lanceros. Not because they're easier, but because you'll be able to roll a lot more of them with the amount of tobacco you have and the more practice you get, the better you'll be. :)

BTW, those first attempts are MONSTER cigars. If they're smokable, they'd probably lay out a veteran cigar smoker.

Yeah, that long one is pretty serious :D.

I'm impressed though. You'll have to post your progress.

My husband about fell over when he saw them. I think I might cut them in half to at least make them manageable. If I didn't they would take 5 or 6 hours to smoke....it's the all day cigar!!

I have them in the humidor right now. Will let you know how they smoke when he lights them up.

I think my tobacco was still a little too dry. I had a hard time getting my wrappers to lay smooth. I have watched several videos and those guys make it look really easy. I guess it's about like making your first batch of bread....it tastes okay, but looks horrible.

scotties22":8a3d6vfz said:
My husband about fell over when he saw them. I think I might cut them in half to at least make them manageable. If I didn't they would take 5 or 6 hours to smoke....it's the all day cigar!!

I have them in the humidor right now. Will let you know how they smoke when he lights them up.

I think my tobacco was still a little too dry. I had a hard time getting my wrappers to lay smooth. I have watched several videos and those guys make it look really easy. I guess it's about like making your first batch of bread....it tastes okay, but looks horrible.
So scottie, I have a curiosity. Do you smoke or have you just found passion in making things for those who do? Either way, it's pretty great to see all your projects!

Uber brings up a good question. You seem to have a vicarious nature with the love of 'bacca.

Those are some wonderfully RUGGED cigars, missy. Clint Eastwood would be proud. :pirat: Hopefully your husband digs 'em. I've never tried to roll a cigar!

Actually, I don't smoke or drink (my husband has quite the wine cellar)....not good at either. I find that we can still share these "hobbies" if I get invloved any way I can. I do like making things with my hands (I also love to cook and bake) so it just kinds works out that the people around benifit from that.

If you want to continiue rolling cigars, you might want to pick up a good servicable mold. It might help "smooth" things out after you have rolled 'em! Plus it would help you in sizing what you roll :p

Yeah, I might buy a mold. My neighborhood cigar shop has a roller there twice a week. I might go get some tips from him this week. More than anything this is just one more thing to mess around with...we'll see how it goes.

They look darn good for a first try. I never rolled my own cigars but frequently rolled cigs as a youngster(smoking a pipe back in high school would have gotten me beat by the cowboys in class). As near as i can tell your makins are a might dry. Try a light misting of a good rum or whiskey maybe 10-15 minutes before rolling and see if that helps.

Best of luck and don't give up

Jim

That's awesome! What a cool thing to try. Nice job. I've heard that for folks who roll cigars a lot, some wear gloves as to not take in the N that tobacco has to offer. I believe your skin can absorb it... could be wrong, but I heard it on the internet, so it as to be true. ;)

I wore gloves for sure. I am a pasty white blonde and am pretty sensitive to everything.....one of the reasons I don't drink or smoke, both make me sick fairly easily. Gloves were the first thing my husband suggested.