Classical

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's interesting, Irene. Beethoven is entertaining and Chopin helps me think, but I don't know what music could make someone "cheery." Cheer never was one of my qualities, unless I'm drinking to classic rock.

We´re performing Beethoven´s Egmont Overture and his Piano Conc. Nr 4 this week in the Phil. Good stuff- it stays in your head and you end up humming the melodies for at least a week after you perform them. That´s much nicer than Carmina Burana in your head (did that last Sunday)- that stays in there for a for a week or more, but it´s a piece of "/&%%$· :lol: :lol: :lol:

Howard Hanson's symphony no. 2 -- the man writes great music.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8H6abSJnTwg" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I love the Hanson Symph 2. I`ve had the opportunity to perform it several times over my career. As a side note, the slow mvt is the farewell theme performed each summer at the closing concert at Interlochen. It´s a poigniant moment for the students and faculty alike...Brings back fond memories of my student days!!

I love Classical music, lately I have been stuck on Franz Liszt. I can't go a day without listening to Hungarian Rhapsody 2 at least 2-3 times.

The main periods for me are the Baroque, Classical & Romantic. I know that is a big chunk and I might as well say I like "all" classical music but when you start to get into the 1900's my interest wains a bit and changes to Big Band/Swing. But that is for another thread.

Right now I am destroying Mozart's Violin Sonata K304 with my fiddle. The second movement is much harder to play than the first (sigh). I tend to gravitate to Baroque and of course the Sonatas & Partitas by Bach are the ultimate achievement for any violinist, amateur or pro, but I'm not there yet.

For piano works, Bach is still my favorite, with The Goldgberg Variations played by Gould to top the list. When I am in a melancholy mood, Chopin's Claire de Lune seems to fit the bill, providing it is accompanied by a good smoke and a suitable cognac.

But then, Beethoven's 9th for sheer orchestral sonic blow out....... and then there is Boccherini's fabulous Quintettino- La musica notturna delle strade di Madrid.......and then.... and then.......

.........Did I mention I like classical music?

Oh yes! Wonderful! That first movement of the Partita #2 is probably the first one I would attempt. Itzak certainly has a fine rendition of it with his modern style violin. I would love to hear a Baroque violin master such as Andrew Manze's recording of it, or better, live.

It suspect that these pieces are just as difficult on brass as it would be on a violin.....

flylot":74cai82w said:
Oh yes! Wonderful! That first movement of the Partita #2 is probably the first one I would attempt. Itzak certainly has a fine rendition of it with his modern style violin. I would love to hear a Baroque violin master such as Andrew Manze's recording of it, or better, live.

It suspect that these pieces are just as difficult on brass as it would be on a violin.....
I think it´s pretty tough on whatever instrument you´re playing it!

Correct me if I´m wrong. Isn´t the only difference beween modern and baroque the bow and how you hold the bow? The violin is the same (he plays a strad) which was made around that time.
Just wondering.

MisterE,

Actually the Baroque violin is quite different than the modern violin though from a casual observer, it can easily be overlooked. The neck of the violin is attached to the body at much less of an angle, straight in fact, and the fingerboard is somewhat shorter. Inside, the bass bar is smaller.

All Strads were "Baroque period instruments" originally and were over the years transformed into the modern style by other luthiers. An easy way to detect a replacement neck to transition an originally Baroque period instrument to a modern day style is to look for the graft joint at the scroll. My German made violin has such a graft.

Also, most modern violins strings today have a synthetic (Perlon, kind of a nylon) core and are wrapped in metal (silver, aluminum, and most recently titanium) except for the E string which is steel (sometimes Gold plated). This makes the string more stable and less likely to go out of tune. Period instruments still use cat-gut (not really cat) to be more authentic sounding. Todays violins are tuned to A= 440 while Baroque instruments are tuned much lower (even as low as A=416).

Baroque violins will not have "chin rests". That is a modern invention. However, some, musicians will remove their "chin rests" from a "modern" violin due to personal preference.

Though most current "period instruments" are 20th and 21st Century remakes (most originals were "modernized" over time), some originally Baroque made have been transformed BACK (VERY EXPENSIVE TO DO), and some still retain their original Baroque set ups.

flylot":c3c712b1 said:
MisterE,

Actually the Baroque violin is quite different than the modern violin though from a casual observer, it can easily be overlooked. The neck of the violin is attached to the body at much less of an angle, straight in fact, and the fingerboard is somewhat shorter. Inside, the bass bar is smaller.

All Strads were "Baroque period instruments" originally and were over the years transformed into the modern style by other luthiers. An easy way to detect a replacement neck to transition an originally Baroque period instrument to a modern day style is to look for the graft joint at the scroll. My German made violin has such a graft.

Also, most modern violins strings today have a synthetic (Perlon, kind of a nylon) core and are wrapped in metal (silver, aluminum, and most recently titanium) except for the E string which is steel (sometimes Gold plated). This makes the string more stable and less likely to go out of tune. Period instruments still use cat-gut (not really cat) to be more authentic sounding. Todays violins are tuned to A= 440 while Baroque instruments are tuned much lower (even as low as A=416).

Baroque violins will not have "chin rests". That is a modern invention. However, some, musicians will remove their "chin rests" from a "modern" violin due to personal preference.

Though most current "period instruments" are 20th and 21st Century remakes (most originals were "modernized" over time), some originally Baroque made have been transformed BACK (VERY EXPENSIVE TO DO), and some still retain their original Baroque set ups.
Good stuff! Thanks for the info. I love musical instruments of all types and eras.

flylot":0w20jim2 said:
MisterE,

Awesome! Thanks! I knew about the gut strings but had no idea about the fingerboard angle. I would imagine that the period tuning might ultimately make the violin sound different (perhaps not as bright) from less tension on the strings. I´ll look for a recording of Bach done on a period instrument at Baroque pitch.

I remember hearing that Nadia Salerno-Sonneberg deliberately tunes her instrument significantly higher than A=440 so it would be brighter. I guess the old saying applies- "Better sharp than out of tune", hahaha.

Very nice indeed!

Notice that even the bow hold is quite different. The modern day bow is held over the frog (that's the little ebony block underneath the heel end of the bow that the horsehair is attached to) where as the Baroque period bow, which has no camber and is shorter is held farther up on the bow somewhat away from the frog.

Bumping this!

I'm glad I searched for a topic in this vein because I will totally check out Eric Whitacre, as I'm a fan of Arvo Pärt. :)

I do listen to some classical. Among my favourites right now are Ligeti, Scriabin and I'm getting more and more interested in "Scriabinists" who ventured to the microtonal side - Wyschnegradsky's preludes in quarter-tones I go back to again and again.

Generally I'm really interested in microtonal and experimental stuff (like, say, Enno Poppe) - good painting music!

All-time favourites: Khachaturian, Rachmaninoff, Dvorak...

Nothing against some Baroque music either.

Stuff I never managed to get into: Beethoven, Beethoven, Beethoven. :( No matter how I've tried, I just can't get anything out of it.

For those interested: Whyschnegradsky's prelude in quarter tones, no. 5

I listen almost exclusively to 'classical' music, without much regard to era. Right now I am loving the Bach Magnificat and B minor mass under the direction of John Eliot Gardiner and the English Baroque Soloists along with the Montiverdi Choir. The works are performed on period instruments.

Beethoven's 9 symphonies (yes, all of them) under the direction of John Eliot Gardiner are also on my current listening list.

Also like Mahler and Vaughn-Williams, Tallis, Dowland, Purcell, Britten, and on and on and on....

As a classical guitarist also, I find the works of Domeniconi, Albeniz, Granados, Britten, Martin, and too many others to mention, to be ethereal and able to induce meditation almost as well as a good smoke :) .

Can't say I have a favorite, but am pretty partial to Bach. Never really cared for Brahms, but maybe it's time to listen again.

Tom

One of my favorites is a modern classic called Palladio by Karl Jenkins. You've probably heard it. Check it out on YouTube.

Karl Jenkins- Palladio

I'm glad someone else likes Mahler!

I have an extensive background(been playing multiple instruments since the age of 8) in all types of music, but orchestral and symphonic works more exclusively.

I find I thoroughly enjoy Baroque composers and works (Vivaldi, Bach, etc.) due to the form. Counterpoint and musical form in the Baroque Era was so pristine and exact that it makes my OCD brain very happy. :tongue:

After that, I enjoy the actual Classical Era more for the operas and full symphonies (Beethoven's repertoire, Don Giovanni, Rigoletto, etc.).

My favorite though would be Late Romantic to early Modern. You can't beat Dvorak and Shostakovich! :D