Cleaning a Kaywoodie

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warwick

Reaction score
I was considering buying a Kaywoodie, but I'm concerned about the metal stinger insert. Does this prevent running a pipe cleaner through the pipe? Is the stinger removable? How do you clean the pipe if the stinger can't be removed? I've had other inexpensive ($15) no-name pipes with stingers where I've just forcibly yanked out the stinger, but I'm not sure I'd want to do that in this case.

I find that they clean up nicely and you can run a small cleaner all the way through them. The metal stinger actually cleans up easier than the shank of a regular push stem. I've never attempted to remove the stinger.

They're not removable on the Kaywoodies where the stinger and the screw-tenon are the same piece of metal. But like JP said, they clean up just fine. When it's time for a more thorough cleaning, I can just dip the whole stinger in grain alcohol before scrubbing it out.

To get better air flow and the ability to pass a cleaner I have a couple I've hacksawed the stinger off of. Of course I made sure these were pipes I never would re-sell as this would devalue them tremendously.

Theyre're not really meant to come apart, but I have unscrewed the stinger from a damaged Kaywoodie stem. I wouldn't try it on a good one.

Or go new era. I have a few stinger pipes, but I prefer the new era. I have a thorn lovat that is great. Sold/traded most of my others. When I meet the requirements I may put up some of my KWs for sale or trade.

I just don't appreciate them like others do.