CLEANING A MEERSCHAUM

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leatherneck

Reaction score
several months ago i purchased a meerschaum pipe from a california company - recieved the pipe and started smoking about 2 bowls a day of black cavendish in it. i've noticed that the pipe is of a softer material getting a yellow hue to it quicker than some of my 1960's meerschaums, which tells me that i think this is more of a pressed meerschaum pipe than a TRUE carved meerschaum. there are several eyes, swirls and dimples in this pipe where ash and carbon have acquired. can anyone tell me what would be the best way for cleaning this softer style meerschaum, and as ALWAYS thank you for your time and consideration on this matter. GYSGT T.A.WIENS USMC.

Compressed air-in-a-can, the kind used for electronics or computer cleaning? *shrug* Just what I'd do, I guess. All of my meers are smooth.

I've heard a lot of that stuff will just fall away on its own. I wouldn't use any brush or instrument of any kind though. As you know, the material is especially soft.

8)

Well there was an article about cleaning them in the latest p&t, for new meers he used a shank brush, everclear, and pipe cleaners to get rid of milling dust which can restrict the airflow. And then he reams it down to the block(carefully) and uses a doubled over pipe cleaner, more everclear(no need to waste the good stuff, that is alcohol abuse), and paper towels, do not submerge the entire block. Semper fi

I use a number ten white china bristle artist brush to give my carved meers a once over when needed.
I also have a number 12 that I cut down so I'd have stiffer bristles. It's good for spreading beeswax. Works it down into the low spots.

williamcharles":30eszbiq said:
I use a number ten white china bristle artist brush to give my carved meers a once over when needed.
I also have a number 12 that I cut down so I'd have stiffer bristles. It's good for spreading beeswax. Works it down into the low spots.
Cool. 8) Stealing this technique.

Kyle Weiss":bsd3ti7w said:
williamcharles":bsd3ti7w said:
Cool. 8) Stealing this technique.
Yeah, me too!

Thank You, William Charles, for that little tidbit. I've let mine go for quite some years now, I never really thought of touching up the beeswax finish. Might just have to do this...

williamcharles":hbcwgkqr said:
Oh. Just. Great. Last week I was sitting on a bench, puffing me briar, overlooking Maine's Ogunquit River (tidal) and noticed something floating on the outgoing tide. It was a #12 Princeton artist's brush. I fished it out and left it behind on the bench. It's Karma for my casual approach to meer maintenance, I guess. Good idea, though.