"Cleaning" Tobacco Suggestions

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balkan_boy

Reaction score
I was interested if there is a tobacco that would successfully wash away or neutralize the ghost in the pipe, without having to go through salt/alc. treatment?
The ghost in question is the Lakeland note from G&H. The pipes are dedicated to VAs, and long after G&H soap, it's still noticeable.

I would try with Lat blends, it'll do, but it'll ghost them like Lat.

Any suggestions?

Scrape it to bare wood and smoke a boatload of Burley in it. It will smoke out but it may take some time.

I never get a ghost from ennerdale or any lakeland blend and I don't have a dedicated pipe system. Only from SG black cherry, and it goes away after one bowl.

IMHO, a pipe that has been smoked with Lakelands will retain that character from that point on.

Case in point, I once sent a beautiful Tobbaconist, Inc Poker into Walker for treatment in their Ozone chamber to remove the "L" factor. It was in there a full week, and received bowl reaming as well.

The result was semi-successful. While the "L" character was reduced it was clearly still there and remains. Not so much in the top of the bowl, but certainly in the final moments.

Great pity, as it's a dandy pipe and I love it in all other respects. And I've been trying to smoke the ghost out of it but so far have not had success. Could be that I'm just particularly sensitive to that character. But it's still there and bothers me.

No, I've not done the treatments recommended here like retort and such. Not within my scope. Guess I'll just carry on and hope it will exorcise in due course. I really love the pipe. 

Cheers,

RR

I was gifted a Castello by a friend who found it at an antique rummage sale for 5.00 bucks (no kidding). This pipe was haunted with a very strong 1792 flakes talc powder like ghost. Any other free pipe I would have tossed, but I had to save this one. I sent it to Mike at Walker Briar Works for a refurb and Ozone treatment. When I got it back it I still noticed a faint hint of ghost but after 5-6 smokes it was gone.

If you don't mind sending your pipe states side for refurb, I'd highly recommend this treatment for neutralizing stubborn ghosts.

Thanks for the replies folks,

The last two posts really discouraged me, but I guess it's inevitable. I've been smoking a lot since the Lakeland stuff, I mean, not one or two smokes, more like 50 or more, and that Lakeland note is still present and doesn't go away.

I'm going to give them everything it has to, retort, ozone, salt/alcohol just to get rid of it, it's really annoying.

One of the pipes heavily ghosted is a $3 cob, and is going in the trash bin, but there is one that I really regret smoking lakelands in it. It's morta pipe, The Canadian (lowest out of three in the set) on this guy's profile picture:

https://www.facebook.com/gilopipes

I have that set of pipes on his profile picture together with the stand, and they are all exceptional smokers. The Canadian however is ghosted despite not tolerating any cake in the bowl. Cakewise, I treat mortas like meerschaums, which is I scrape all the cake and wipe it good with alcohol, and still that one is the most heavily ghosted of all 3 pipes I've smoked lakelands with.
I guess lack of cake made the perfume penetrate deeply in the walls of the bowl and that drives me crazy.

I guess no tobacco will help, it will need more drastic measures.

Yeah, Lakelands ghost a pipe pretty much forever.

I think a meer mght avoid it, and a clay. But if the bowl is porous...as is a briar...that scenting will get in there...and that, as they say, is that. Extreme treatments will do a fair job, cover that with a new cake...and that's as much as you can likely do.

I guess you gotta live with your sins. So embrace your darkness. Buy a pound of Dark Flake Scented and don't look back.

Blackhorse":1xwoo3lh said:
....I guess you gotta live with your sins. So embrace your darkness. Buy a pound of Dark Flake Scented and don't look back....
I thought there is a second chance. Anyone should be given a chance to repenth!