Cleaning Vulcanite Stems

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
balkan_boy":rjl741nx said:
That's the reason I hate vulcanite stems and I don't buy pipes with vulcanite stems at all anymore. I still have about 40 of them, and they give me so much trouble.  
Send 'em along at $5 apiece, I'll give 'em a real good home. :lol!:

Seriously guys,

Bleach is an anti-oxidant, I'm guessing so is Oxyclean (here it's called "Sterident", used for cleaning dentures). Sometimes a badly oxidized stem will veritably bubble up with released oxygen. In my limited experience, it seems to 'lift out' the oxidation leaving a rough but black finish that can then be be buffed to shiny smoothness by any preferred method and sealed with whatever (Olive oil, mineral oil, bees wax, carnuaba, whatever).

IMHO.

M.

balkan_boy":r271snnc said:
Bugsahearn":r271snnc said:
balkan_boy":r271snnc said:
Bugsahearn":r271snnc said:
... Anyone tried vinegar?
I wouldn't go for vinegar, the active compound in it is acetic acid, which is organic solvent, pretty much like alcohol, and I think it'll make things worse.  
Ok thanks that makes sense. Once the oxidation is scrubbed out, my method of clove extract seems to work ok for a quick wipe off between smokes