Cleaning with peroxide?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what exactly do you mean by cleaning pipes? normal maintenance? newly acquired estate pipe you hope to sanitize to the best of your ability (ie enough to make you comfortable smoking it)? full refurbish?

I would use a pipe retort (search ebay for examples). I don't own one, but I plan to make one. I firmly stuff the bowl with cotton balls, plug the shank airhole with a cotton swab, and then carefully fill it with 91% isopropyl alcohol. I let it sit for a long while (no exact measurement of time). Discard it all and continue to clean away with 91%. Same for stems and then soap and water. I'm going to buff it anyway. To clean the outside and not harm the finish is another situation all together. I usually take my chances with a disinfectant and then re-wax. I've found it difficult to screw things up beyond repair, but maybe I've been lucky all these years.

I can see why someone would use H2O2, but I personally wouldn't reach for it. The 91% evaporates rather quickly, while I imagine the H2O2 seems like it would soak the wood and be slow to leave it. Just a hunch, though.

I should have been more specific. Normal cleaning after smoking, cleaning down through the stem with a pipe cleaner. Not cleaning the outside of the pipe. I don't think peroxide on the outside of the pipe would be right! Probably would ruin the finish.

Corncobcon":5zmpf512 said:
I should have been more specific. Normal cleaning after smoking, cleaning down through the stem with a pipe cleaner. Not cleaning the outside of the pipe. I don't think peroxide on the outside of the pipe would be right! Probably would ruin the finish.
Oh, I don't use anything for that. Just a cleaner or two after each smoke. A couple times a year, or as necessary, I use 91% on a scrubby pipe cleaner or three to get the gunk out of the shank and stem. I was an obsessive type when I first started smoking. Experimented with being less obsessive. Found there was no difference...other than wasting my time, energy, and pipe cleaners. The cost/benefit simply wasn't there.

Zeno Marx":fcqfvwyv said:
I was an obsessive type when I first started smoking.  Experimented with being less obsessive.  Found there was no difference...other than wasting my time, energy, and pipe cleaners.  The cost/benefit simply wasn't there.
There's a lot of truth in that!

;)

Cheers,

RR

I just use bourbon. I figure if it's good enough for my gizzard, it's good enough for my pipes.

I have used peroxide to clean/bleach out severe stains in briar, but I wouldn't use it to clean the internals. 99% Isopropyl alcohol is my go-to for periodic maintenance cleaning. Evaporates almost immediately and leaves no aftertaste.

As others have said, less may be more. :D

Peroxide might be a good idea for the older Perspex stems. The tars can be a real pain to get out of those. As for the brier I would stick to alcohol.

Jim

Research on YouTube retort and watch a few videos. I clean my pipes after each smoke with pipe cleaners and thoroughly wipe the chamber with rolled up paper towel. Other then that I do a complete retort when needed.  It’s all part of the hobby.

.[/quote]
Oh, I don't use anything for that.  Just a cleaner or two after each smoke.  A couple times a year, or as necessary, I use 91% on a scrubby pipe cleaner or three to get the gunk out of the shank and stem.  I was an obsessive type when I first started smoking.  Experimented with being less obsessive.  Found there was no difference...other than wasting my time, energy, and pipe cleaners.  The cost/benefit simply wasn't there.[/quote]

This for sure. :twisted:

I mostly follow Zeno’s minimalist, as-needed approach for occasional semi-intense cleaning.  I have also used The Professor’s Pipe Treatment which worked fine, but It’s probably overkill for routine maintenance. (The PPT uses salt and vodka, you can search it for the pros and cons.)

A highly skilled carpenter of my acquaintance says the only thing needed to clean any wood is a mix of white vinegar and water. N.B. — This would apply to to the external part of the briar, not the interior of the bowl. Can’t say I’ve used used it more than a couple of careful times.

I was once going to try the PPT to remove a Condor Ghost from a pipe, but decided in the nick of time that I’d miss the ghost.