Cleansing Your palate

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growley

Reaction score
Over Christmas I had the rare opportunity to smoke a pipe with my brother-in-law. He probably only smokes when we're together, which isn't very often, so in order to give him a broader experience, we both lit up a very different type of tobacco and occasionally swapped pipes to try the other.
He picked an extremely sweet aromatic, and I smoked Dunhill Nightcap.

All that said, I noticed switching pipes was extremely pleasant. It was almost as if I had cleansed my palate each time I switched, which resulted in me being able to pick out the taste of each better.

Any of you guys/gals ever tried this? It almost makes me want to light two pipes up each time.

once in a while while I am smoking a pipe my wife is smoking a cigar and we will trade puffs, I havent noticed a difference, but I havent been looking for one either... on the next smoke session I will have to pay attention better

i'll frequently light two different pipes when i go to our cigar bar outings. it helps keep things fresh, and also is good for when i happen to puff a little quickly on one. usually one is a virginia of sorts and the other HH ODF of Hyde Park. seems to work really well. it definitely helps me taste the wine better too. the cigar bar we go to is a bar as well. beer and local wine.

It enrages a few folks, but I always mention club soda/seltzer water as a good accompaniment to a pipe.

It works for espresso tasting, so I tried it out with the pipe...same effect.

I prefer water in a fillable siphon/soda bottle I make myself. It's water I'm used to (and drink frequently), mainly tap water (Reno's water is pretty good)...chemically, the body is used to it, and won't offset the pH (or adjust it back to "normal"). Just a theory, but it seems to work. Helps with tobacco that is enjoyable, but maybe a little strong, or washing away a heavy meal had prior to a smoke. Sip, however, don't "drink," or that excess liquid might make its way down the stem of the pipe...not a pleasant experience.

I've gotten a few cigar guys, who know their stuff pretty well, to try this too--they really liked the experience.

8)

You can put a pinch of tobacco "A" in the bottom of the bowl with a pinch of tobacco "B" on top of it. The taste will switch mid-pipe.

I tend to sip green tea (chinese, of light, dry aroma) while smoking. It keeps the possibility of bite low and gives my mouth a fresh taste.

I've tried Kyle's seltzer trick too. Works, but for some reason I prefer a warm drink, perhaps my mouth just likes warm liquid with warm smoke.

Kyle Weiss":j3939ttt said:
It enrages a few folks, but I always mention club soda/seltzer water as a good accompaniment to a pipe.

8)
What!? Again with the selzer water!? :evil:

I'm enraged.

Seriously. Mineral water's the best stuff for pipe smoking. That and coffee, IMO.

Okay, I suppose I indulged in a little hyperbole. "Disgust" would have been better--apparently carbonation sickens people if it isn't associated with sugar or brewed alcohol. :lol:

*shrug* Don't ask me. :)

Kyle Weiss":9kkrxgp9 said:
strangling.gif

I will have some dark chocolate between bowls(if switching blends)/cigars.