Cleanup and polish of my favorite pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ataki

Reaction score
Was enjoying a nice bowl this morning in my favorite pipe, and while looking it over, I decided it was overdue for a good cleanup and polish. After about two hours of scrubbing, sanding and buffing, I think it came out pretty well. :D (sorry, no before pics... like most of my projects, I tend to just jump in)

Thanks, guys...It was my first pipe, a lucky estate find on ebay... Smokes as nice as it looks, too.

hobie1dog":vw6g2cs2 said:
what did you use to buff it up with?
Well, it started with a careful rubbing of everclear to remove the old waxes from the briar and stem, leaving the briar with a matte finish. the stem I sanded (To remove bite marks, etc.) with 600 grit wet or dry sandpaper, then 800, then 1000, then 1500. Then each part got taken to a loose buffing wheel on my drill press, using plenty of the white compound (Jeweler's rouge, I think) on the wheel. I had no carnauba wax, so I rubbed in some plain candle wax real well, and took it back to the wheel. After that, just a final light rub with a soft cloth. The only downside is that the old price stamp on the stem is now gone, but it was barely readable anyway.

Looks gorgeous. Stupid question from the noob, but how did you integrate the candle wax? Once melted, did you have work quickly?

The pipe looks gorgeous! If I ever get a man cave I'll be able to do stuff like this also, or at least try.

Martin

MartinH":jujouo1y said:
Looks gorgeous. Stupid question from the noob, but how did you integrate the candle wax? Once melted, did you have work quickly?

The pipe looks gorgeous! If I ever get a man cave I'll be able to do stuff like this also, or at least try.

Martin
Actually, I just rubbed the unlit candle against it to get a good coating, and rubbed it in good with my thumbs before hitting the wheel. It gives it a pretty nice shine, and seems to protect it well.