Clenching technique

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deepbass9

Reaction score
So, just wondering how some of you clenchers do your clenching. I seem to prefer to do a full on bite on the bit, just forward of the button. It keeps the image of a dangling pipe that I have in my head consistent. I occasionally do a button hang, but it's more for variety than anything.

I look at some of the Danish style pipes, which I'm half-way in the market for, and some of the pictures of their smokers and it seems a great majority of the bits are made in such a way that button dangling seems to be the only way to go. Like, if you did a full bite, the bowl would be in an awkward position...maybe even above the mouth. I'm full into bents, so I always want the bowl below my mouth...

So, not really a "how to" or anything, just more of a query. How do you guys hang?

Please, no "low & to the left" comments! :geek:

Because of the variations in bit size I tend to be a holder instead of a clencher. I only clench on those pipes that have a minimal bit that fits nicely between my teeth, like Ser Jacopo. Peterson bits are ridiculous and it looks like Castello and Radice's bits follow suit. I can tolerate my Ferndown bits, but only just.

I hang low & slightly to the right... :evil:

Seriously though, I see myself more as a clencher, although I find myself overheating the bowl when I clench consistently, so I end up holding the pipe as well.

If I am just relaxing, I tend to button clench. But if I am working, & need a more secure grip, or even if I am talking, I tend to hold about an inch of the stem gently between the molars on the right side of my mouth. I find that when I get to talking & forget about the pipe when clenching in this manner, I have some of my tastiest smokes. The smoke tends to draw frequently, but just tiny bits at a time.

I never really thought about it until now, really.

Depends on the pipe. Some bits are massive in the saddle, almost hard to take out of the mouth, so those are usually not good sitting pipes for me. Especially when I'm talking.

Cobs are nice to clench when I'm walking about or doing other things. They're light and I don't worry about them dropping on the ground.

I mostly prefer straight pipes to walk around with and take with me beyond home. The leverage works well with my overbite and I can more comfortably traverse, talk and be social. Plus they extend farther from my face (no smoke in the eye).

As for where in the teeth they go? Sometimes right out front smack-dab between the incisors, other times on the left right behind my canines.

I tend to clench exclusively. I only remove the pipe from my mouth if the bowl becomes overheated or if I have to tamp. My stems all have rubber cushions so that is as far down on the stem that I clench with my molar teeth alternating from right to left and back again. As a clencher I basically suck on the stem rather than puff and I can enjoy a very controlled burn and a tasteful smoke. Many of my pipes are large several being oom pauls which are favorites but I also equally enjoy many straight stem billiards. My clench technique is the same and that includes a Pete Kinsale XL20 with a p-lip. I may be wrong, and any brother may feel free to correct me, however, I believe that the more experienced a pipe smoker becomes the more he tends to clench rather than hold his pipe. Similarly, the same goes for bowl size. I now always gravitate towards a larger bowled pipe for the extended smoke time pleasure it provides.

LIPIPE":o7tct9ps said:
As a clencher I basically suck on the stem rather than puff and I can enjoy a very controlled burn and a tasteful smoke.
I agree, just kind of keeping it at the "stem level" (sucking on the stem, as you put it) really keeps the temerature down and indeed brings more flavor out. Smaller puffs, bigger taste.

I usually clench as I go about my business at home. If I'm doing something extended that needs both hands, like washing dishes, I'll notice my jaw getting a little tired sometimes. I just put the pipe down then. Problem solved.

For those that use rubber covers/bits...

...do these help eliminate the "slip factor" while in the mouth? Do they taste bad in any way?

Been considering them, just hesitated due to not knowing much about 'em. I would love to go "hands free" occasionally. I'm so afraid I won't be able to hold the dang thing in my mouth and would hate myself if a nice piece of briar bounced off the ground in front of me.

Kyle: For a guy who likes a rush, you're crappin' out now man. Invest the buck 50 and go for it. They have no taste, the pipe won't fall out of your mouth and your teeth will thank you. Gotta get with the program if we're gonna be old drinkin' buddies.

LIPIPE":dz00rr7k said:
Kyle: For a guy who likes a rush, you're crappin' out now man. Invest the buck 50 and go for it. They have no taste, the pipe won't fall out of your mouth and your teeth will thank you. Gotta get with the program if we're gonna be old drinkin' buddies.
*laughs* Oh, don't give me guff now... :p I saw them in boxes of 25 for $15 at the store, so committing to them wasn't a matter of fear, it was economics. I'd hate to stare at a leftover box of 24 I didn't like and think I could have tried a new tobacco! :p

Fine, fine, I'll go grab some. Sheesh. :lol: :lol:

I clench a lot, but have no method. I bite down on the stem just behind the button and sip away, adjusting as needed. I primarily clench on the left with my first and second premolars.

Depends on the pipe, some clench better, and like LIPIPES, an Oom Paul almost demands it.. Mostly I clench with breaks, but I find that I get my best smokes when I forget that the pipe's there and puff slowly and lightly, the pipe tends to sit on my front molars. Not that I don't haul off o a pipe now and again. :)

I get my best smokes when I forget that the pipe's there and puff slowly and lightly
... like a dream.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

For me, a lot depends on the activity and the pipe I have chosen. While driving, I usually always select one of my lighter weight pipes with a softee bit. I usually clench on and off, more to obtain a free hand than anything else.

As for how I clench, I will usually just pick a spot that still has some rubber left. :lol:

Kyle Weiss said:
For those that use rubber covers/bits...

...do these help eliminate the "slip factor" while in the mouth? Do they taste bad in any way?

They take some getting used to. They definitely don't slip. They have no taste themselves, but they have a slight tendency to produce a tarry taste about the bit that is mildly objectionable. I only use them while driving. I have dropped a lit pipe in my lap way too many times not to use them. Actually I prefer vinyl hose cut to size, like that guy on YouTube, but I recommend a size smaller than he. Works for me. To stay on topic, I am a dangler. The more expensive a pipe is, the less I want to clench the bit and leave bite marks. I have not had good luck with replacement stems, in the sense of them matching in quality the original, so I'm bit-shy. Another argument for cheaper pipes and cobs.

Thanks for all the replies, gents. Guess the Danes like button danglers....wondering if I will...

Taste change has hit me, it seems, as I thought all those small, snail-like or asymmetrical eggs/bents were too funny looking. Now, it seems, I'd like one.

This Larsen has the angle I want and the shape, but is outta my price range and a wee bit longer than I'd like...but she's beautiful!!

http://www.briarblues.com/jod04.htm