Closing my Dad's estate

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growley

Reaction score
Well, it's an odd time of life. I'm headed to Michigan, maybe for the last time, to help my brother close out our Dad's estate. Dad passed away about 6 months ago, as some of you probably know, and with him having been the last of my remaining parents, at age 38 I've got to close that chapter of my life and his. No need for condolences, I've already processed most of what has needed to be processed, and I'm doing well with it all.

I'm more or less writing to share how odd it seems that with my Dad being a pretty private, closed kind of guy, I will now suddenly have free roam over all of his earthly stuff, his collection of life things. I remember it feeling kind of odd looking through all of my Grandpa's stuff after he passed away a few years ago, I can only imagine it will be even more surreal to go through Dad's. What crazy secrets will be unlocked? What little things did he keep that he found important for one reason or another. What will I find? It's a rare look into who Dad was.

In fact, he never let me know he used to smoke a pipe until just a few months before he passed away. That explained the Sen Sen and the Binaca. He used to tell us that he smelled like smoke because everyone in his bank office used to smoke...and they probably did back then. But not wanting to encourage us, he never let on that he did as well.

So, tomorrow I begin an odd adventure.

I don't know if I'd call it an "... odd adventure" as much as an adventure into your history. All the "items" you will encounter can tell you lots about him and his life. I went through this when my father died 18 years ago when my mother and I did the same thing. It will be an eye opener for sure .

Brian I can relate.

My Pap passed over10 yrs ago, and going through his "stuff" was difficult, to say the least. Holding his wallet and everything he had in there was all too personal, yet I had to do this for the settlement of his estate. Plus a lot of other uncomfortable issues.

My very best wishes to you in this emotionally trying time.

Cheers,

RR

I really wish I'd been given a chance to see some of my Da's things after he passed, I hope you don't get too upset whilst you're going through it all and I hope with all my heart you discover some mementoes which bring you comfort in this trying time.

Brian, with all sincerity I wish you and your family the best in this difficult time. I hope you experience a meaningful and positive insight into the life of your father.

All the best from your friends here, and if you need anything, please holler.

This is one thing I am not looking foward to at all. I will be torn when this day comes because many of their intrists I am not that fond of yet there is the sentimental value.

I remember going through my dad's things when I was 15 (mostly my mom was doing it, but we were there to help).

I still have some tools, some keepsakes and collectibles, and plenty of memories.

The crazy part was that my dad must have been hiding cash all over the place for a long time. We would go to flip the mattress, and BAM! $2000 under the bed. Empty the closet BOOM$1500...clean out the linen closet KAPOW! $1200

He was a clever man.

Hopefully it brings back some wonderful memories and you find some meaningful keep sakes. Good luck brother and condolences.

Update:

Well, I'm back from going through all of Dad's things. There were TONS of things I wanted to bring home, but the distance between Michigan and Alabama is great, so I had to take an airplane instead of my truck, and resort to shipping things home and bringing them back with me on the plane. I had mainly pack things that had sentimental value, and leave the "would be nice to have" stuff behind.

It was good to see the place again, and probably for the last time. It would be nice if the conclusion of my trip would have wrapped up this chapter nicely with pretty bow, but unfortunately, it will be months before all the work of closing things is done.

Still, I had spent the first 18 years of my life in that house, and going through every nook and cranny of it brought back some neat memories.

So, on a funny note; Dad had one interesting characteristic in that he loved to shop. He loved technology, clothes, shoes and coats, and he bought them by the truckloads. It was a common scene to find a shirt, and then fine 5 more each exactly the same, but in a different colors. His theory seemed to be, "why buy 1 when you can buy 2 at twice the price?". To each is own I guess...

Thanks again for the nice comments. It's nice to be able to write this stuff down out here in cyberspace and know that there are people out there who can sympathize, empathize and legitimately care.

Glad you were able to do that. Keep us updated as time goes by, we're here to listen.