Cob "Inner Tube"

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leacha

Reaction score
After seeing a picture of a Dunhill pipe with an "inner tube" I wondered if I could do the same to a cob so that I could have a clear and consistent airway to the bottom of the bowl. Using a new 5th Avenue (Thank you Aristocob!) I drilled out the tenon of a Forever Stem to to fit the diameter of the tubing and then a few quick measurements and I had the tube cut to length. Using my dremel I had the end ground to an angle. Put her together and viola! I figured it took me a whole 20 minutes. A pipe cleaner passes clear to the bottom without getting hung up. I also have a consistent size (3.7mm) in the airway which I hope will improve the smoking characteristics. I'll try it out and report back at the end of the month.
20140705_165530.jpg

20140705_180303.jpg

20140705_180948.jpg

Do let us know how it works. I'm very curious if this will improve the smoke or not because I've had a similar thoughts myself.  ;) 

I never thought of "improving" the smoking abilities of my cobs. I mean, they smoke better than any Dunhill, so why bother to make alterations to the perfect smoking pipe?

SpeedyPete":ek6r3kr0 said:
I never thought of "improving" the smoking abilities of my cobs. I mean, they smoke better than any Dunhill, so why bother to make alterations to the perfect smoking pipe?
From my personal experience of smoking cobs, which is limited to the 3 I smoke occasionally 2-3 times a week) I've found that there shanks can collect alot of goop and being that the draft hole within them is rough and not very smooth it makes them harder to get clean. I'm no expert, this is just from my personal observation. If putting a stainless steel tube in them makes this easier I for it. But, I'm real anal too.  ;) 

In my experience, the inner tube does not improve the smoking qualities of a Dunhill (I threw all three of mine away), so I doubt if it will improve the smoking qualities of a corn cob. But that wasn't the purpose of the thing; it was to facilitate cleaning. No more gunky mortise and crap. I love cobs, but I have often wondered about their cleaning. How do you clean something that's porous? And I just had a cob that I've had for years suddenly turn sour, to wildly understate its condition. It was just plain nasty, and I had to toss it. It had been stored badly since a recent move, so maybe...?

Anyhow, it will be interesting to see how this or something similar works, for the above reason. I'm thinking you're going to get a gurgle or two, with a more restrictive draw, but maybe not.

I clean my cobs' shanks with a pipecleaner doubled over. So far all of mine, more than 4 years old, are still going OK. Should they turn sour I will buy new ones.

Then, I don't like smoke to come in contact with metal (Falcons excluded). I would actually prefer stems made out of briar as well. Briar is what makes a pipe smoke the way it smokes  :D 

Cartaphilus":gro3q8hh said:
From my personal experience of smoking cobs, which is limited to the 3 I smoke occasionally 2-3 times a week) I've found that there shanks can collect alot of goop and being that the draft hole within them is rough and not very smooth it makes them harder to get clean. I'm no expert, this is just from my personal observation. If putting a stainless steel tube in them makes this easier I for it. But, I'm real anal too.  ;) 
My sentiment exactly! I also wanted a tighter draw. I smoked a bowl of Sugar Barrel last night and it was perfect. The draw was tighter and smoother. No gurgles, but SB isn't goopy, and my cleaner went in and out without a problem. Aluminum tubing would work just as good, BTW. I'm sold on this. 20 minutes of my time to make my hours of smoking more enjoyable is a no brainer. But alas to each his own.

leacha":sd2732z5 said:
Cartaphilus":sd2732z5 said:
My sentiment exactly! I also wanted a tighter draw. I smoked a bowl of Sugar Barrel last night and it was perfect. The draw was tighter and smoother. No gurgles, but SB isn't goopy, and my cleaner went in and out without a problem. Aluminum tubing would work just as good, BTW. I'm sold on this. 20 minutes of my time to make my hours of smoking more enjoyable is a no brainer. But alas to each his own.
Sounds good, I'll have to give it a try as soon as get me hands on some tubing. ;)