Cob question

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Richard Burley":z7levh33 said:
Adapters suck. I just go without. No downside that I can tell.
I have two in my filter pipes, an Ascorti and a Chacom. They work great, pass a cleaner right through. So I don't understand the issue.

eklektos44":tehyij6z said:
Richard Burley":tehyij6z said:
I have two in my filter pipes, an Ascorti and a Chacom. They work great, pass a cleaner right through. So I don't understand the issue.
Messy. I hate cleaning them. And for what? They seem unnecessary to me. The two pipes I have that could use them, a Savinelli "Hand-Made" (Autograph second) and an Il Ceppo are among my best smokers without them, but use whatever works for you.

Richard Burley":5ef0ygb4 said:
eklektos44":5ef0ygb4 said:
Richard Burley":5ef0ygb4 said:
Messy. I hate cleaning them. And for what? They seem unnecessary to me. The two pipes I have that could use them, a Savinelli "Hand-Made" (Autograph second) and an Il Ceppo are among my best smokers without them, but use whatever works for you.
Why clean them? Beyond how you would clean a normal tenon? Mine fit tight, so I just leave them in and treat it just like a non-filter pipe. They certainly make it easier to pass a pipe cleaner.

eklektos44":tfihth5j said:
Richard Burley":tfihth5j said:
eklektos44":tfihth5j said:
Richard Burley":tfihth5j said:
Why clean them? Beyond how you would clean a normal tenon? Mine fit tight, so I just leave them in and treat it just like a non-filter pipe. They certainly make it easier to pass a pipe cleaner.
Mine, as I remember, tended to load up fore and aft, and were loose. You must have better ones. I can't check, because I tossed them. Doesn't matter, I intend to run naked. Cleaners pass easily, no problem there. Chamber stays rather clean, for some reason. As I said, whatever works.

I keep it in till the bowl breaks in, usually two smokes or so. Then out for good. I like them just fine without a filter

Scot's":mwaipqp3 said:
Bugsahearn":mwaipqp3 said:
would never smoke a pipe with a filter! thats like smoking a bogie with one...its for ladies!
There was a day that the old codger that lived behind us said the same thing about cigarettes. Look where that went.

Most of the European Union already has, or will have in the future, a requirement that pipes manufactured and/or sold there accept some sort of a filter. With the government stickin its fingers in various forms of smoking legislation and the transition to universal healthcare, how long before the States adopt something along those lines?

I personally don't use the cardboard one, but the Savinelli Balsa filters are the same size, (6mm), they fit perfectly in the cobs that have a stem designed to take a filter and I use them all the time. The Balsa has no effect on taste or nicotine but give a universally drier smoke, who doesn't want a drier smoke?

Ever have a blend that predisposed to bite the tip of your tongue? Try it with a 9mm, the results are amazing. Virginia #1 IMHO is a really fresh and tasty blend but bites me like a rabid dog every time. I put it in a 9mil pipe and its one of the best smokes I've had and I didn't notice any change in the flavor.

OTOH, put something like Presbyterian in it and all the little nuances are gone. It's just like anything else in this finicky hobby we have, there's give and take, some good some bad and in the end whatever works for you is what's best. More importantly, whatever works for the newb coming through the ranks that gives this favorite past time of ours a future. I wouldn't discourage anybody from giving it an honest shot...

Just my opinion...
smoked luckies. couldn't smoke a fag with a filter it dont pull. most of my pipes are filter pipes but they smoke great without them.

After smoking cobs for over 30 years, I toss 'em. The filter does nothing for me.

Just keep in mind that MM makes quite a number of different pipes. Some of the cobs are designed to use filters and some are not. This pretty critical if you're in the market for a 'ForeverStem' as those come in two varieties as well...one size designed for cobs that don't take a filter and...well you get the idea.

Charlz9mm":q3q0aqdh said:
After smoking cobs for over 30 years, I toss 'em.  The filter does nothing for me.
WOW! What do filters look like after they've been smoked for 30 years?

Blackhorse":i1ul5l6f said:
Just keep in mind that MM makes quite a number of different pipes. Some of the cobs are designed to use filters and some are not. This pretty critical if you're in the market for a 'ForeverStem' as those come in two varieties as well...one size designed for cobs that don't take a filter and...well you get the idea.
Blackhorse, what some folks don't know about the forever stem, is that you can still use a filter. You just need to cut them in half, to make them fit. I find that they still work great, and my filters go twice as far, giving me 20 in a box, instead of the standard 10.

I don't know what the new company is doing with the F Stems, but when the original company did 'em they had one diameter for pipes the used filters and a different diameter for the pipes that were not made to take filters. They could not be interchanged to my knowledge.

Blackhorse":msg3jmyf said:
I don't know what the new company is doing with the F Stems, but when the original company did 'em they had one diameter for pipes the used filters and a different diameter for the pipes that were not made to take filters. They could not be interchanged to my knowledge.
Correct, there are two different styles of cobs. What I am saying, is that if you have the style cob that uses a filter, the Forever Stem would appear to eliminate the filter, since the filter will not fit partially inside the Forever Stem. However, there is still enough empty room inside the shank, to fit half a filter. All that is needed is to cut them in half.

I haven't purchased a Forever Stem since Dave Wolff sold the company to MM, but if they haven't changed their design, the above info will still work, should a smoker still desire a filter with a Forever Stem.