Cob versus Briar

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momus

Reaction score
I really dig cobs. I started pipe smoking with a cob and Half and Half (yeah, and that stuff didn't turn me off of pipe smoking....go figure). Easy to smoke and on newer ones you get a nice corn taste coming through here and there (which I find amusing). I smoke briars more by far and I've noticed that when I do take out the cob I'm always close to lighting myself on fire. They seem to draw easier than a briar and on all the cobs I've owned I tend to suck in tobacco into my mouth in an alarming rate (and I'm too lazy to buy filters for those things which, of course, would stop such nonsense). I suppose I'm used to drawing a little harder on a briar and that little extra draw strength on a cob always causes issues. And then there is the case of keeping the tobacco burning. The little technique of blowing gently into a pipe and then putting my finger over half the bowl and drawing in works way better for me in a briar. When I do so in a cob half the time I end up with burning embers shooting all over my person from the bowl.
Its amazing I still smoke those things...I tend to be rather accident prone as well.
Does anyone else have these issues or am I just special?

I smoked a cob for the first time last night, and I couldn't believe how much easier it was to smoke than a briar!

I've smoked cobs for 52 years and have never had any of the problems you mentioned. And no, I never use filters.

Cobs to me are like soft wood pipes they do lend a special flavor all their own.
Corn cobs vs. Briar? is like meerschaum vs. briar… etc, etc.
Different vessel type = different smoke, each have their own virtues.

Yeah, I got a mouth full of ash and ember the one time I wanted to smoke when i was out of filters. I never smoke without one now. Reduces steam and heat, too.

Each has it's place.
For me the tobacco ultimately determines the pipe used, case in point.
H&H Virginia Spice, new to me blend and it really wants me to like it.
But so far it kept coming across with more of a peppery spicyness than I would really care for when smoked in briar.
Two days ago I smoked it in a cob.
The tobacco determined the pipe, spice dialed way back, 3 bowls later in 3 different cobs and I'm enjoying this blend tremendously.
Indeed, each has it's place.

My post wasn't intended to argue that briar is better than cob or anything like that. Putting versus in the title wasn't probably the best idea. I enjoy both cob and briar and, personally, am confused why people even worry about which one is "better". My pt is that it is a different smoking experience in each, and technique changes ever so slightly to accommodate (at least on my end). Perhaps the most amazing thing about cobs is how long they can last and how much abuse they can take...

It´s a useful feature of Corn Cobs that there´s no need to break them in, ´cause I love to have two or three pipes in the house for my guests. It´s quite frequently, that someone notices me or my wife smoking a pipe. People find pipes an pipesmoking interesting, and it´s always nice if I can offer an unsmoked pipe to those guests - some of them smoked their first pipe in my house and I think such a Cob is fist of all very often a good smoker and in every way a nice give-away.

Schacht":888svu8w said:
It´s a useful feature of Corn Cobs that there´s no need to break them in, ´cause I love to have two or three pipes in the house for my guests. It´s quite frequently, that someone notices me or my wife smoking a pipe. People find pipes an pipesmoking interesting, and it´s always nice if I can offer an unsmoked pipe to those guests - some of them smoked their first pipe in my house and I think such a Cob is fist of all very often a good smoker and in every way a nice give-away.
Excellent idea!

I ended up gifting my MM country gentleman to a member of my church. The bowl was way too narrow for any of my tobacco. The only way I could have effectively packed it would have been one shred of tobacco at a time..

Headmint":afqb4s80 said:
Yeah, I got a mouth full of ash and ember the one time I wanted to smoke when i was out of filters. I never smoke without one now. Reduces steam and heat, too.
Cobs are all I smoke anymore. I have around 15 in my rotation and 5 or so for gifts.

I don't use paper filters. Instead, I fold a one inch section of pipe cleaner into a "V" and insert it into the end of the stem. Spring tension holds it it position so it doesn't fall into the shank. This makes the draw perfect for me while stopping bits of ash and burning embers from coming through and also catches some tars and moisture.

Forever stems are also a solution as they're not drilled for a filter.

WyoBob

I have half dozen or so MM cobs. They smoke light and airy to me, and don't give a true tobacco flavor. As far as breaking in, you taste burned cob and wood the first several bowls, until you burn off the shank extending into the bowl. Have also found quality control is minimal, if at all. Have bought some that were just a mess. I still smoke one once in a great while just for nostalgia.

Cobs are my favorite while fishing. No break in required, light as a feather, and if it goes floating away, no great loss. And best of all, they give me a great smoke.
Doc

I smoked a Cob when I was a kid. I stopped thinking it was a cheap pipe and thus a bad smoker. I just started again with a cob and I love it. MM freehand. It smokes so nicely. I don't use filters and I inhale. The MM is just a nice smoke. I am worried about it burning out though. I tend to be a strong puffer, can have bad consequences with a cob pipe.

I always assumed (there was my going wrong) that cobs were just cheap pipes and would probably provide a bad smoke.

Not after this thread.

Looks like I'll be out getting me a cob - any suggestions on what to get?

CarterHallJunkie":0stqpdj1 said:
I always assumed (there was my going wrong) that cobs were just cheap pipes and would probably provide a bad smoke.

Not after this thread.

Looks like I'll be out getting me a cob - any suggestions on what to get?
Go check out Missouri Meerschaum. They make the best cobs around. As I mentioned before, I have a natural Red Freehand cob that smokes wonderfully. It was one of the more expensive cobs, but I like the look and size. You can get a good MM for under $10.

Go for it. You'll be happy you did