Cobs and blends

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stinger4me

Reaction score
I would like some input and whether or not there are blends to avoid smoking in corn cob pipes. Usually I smoke only one blend per pipe, cob or otherwise. There is a new cob here and I am going to use it for a Uhle blend, [b]Raiders Blend [/b]or Mac Baren's Scottish Mixture.[/b] [/i] They are some of my favorite pipes and I can worry less about losing or breaking one of them compared to a nice briar. Thanks for the help.

Stinger

Since you can't build up cake in a cob, I don't think you really need to be concerned about it.

I haven't found a blend yet that didn't smoke well in a Cob. Some cuts/blends seem to do better with different bowl sizes and shapes, but there's a Cob for about any purpose. Priced right too!

I like cobs for just about any kind of blend. I have a bent MM Diplomat for aros and another for latakia blends. I have a straight Diplomat that has a pretty small shallow bowl that I use for flakes. Great, versatile pipes. Yeah, and definitely read tiltjlp's primer!

John Patton is the reason why I have so many cobs. Why, just the other day, I was in Tinder Box. Shucks, forgot my pipe. Bought one for $8 (yeah, I know, expensive, but gotta support the B&M...), a pipe nail and a crappy lighter, and I spent 5 hours in there hanging out with friends, playing backgammon and now I have a "glove box pipe" that'll last me for years. $20 basket pipe? Pfff. Cobs all the way. 8)

I have a set of cobs just for travel: one for cigar mixtures, one for Latakia mixtures, and one for Virginias. Which also means, I have a set for home. That, and about six more. :lol: I love 'em. 8) They have never treated me wrong.

tiltjlp":cxaun8a4 said:
Dutch":cxaun8a4 said:
Since you can't build up cake in a cob, I don't think you really need to be concerned about it.

You can easily build cake in a cob, although I advise against it. You might want to read my Corncob Primer.

http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=The_Complete_Corncob_primer
John, I'm not challenging your statement, just trying to understand.

Inside the bowls of my cobs, there are rows of vertical indentions, which are the natural shape of the cob. When I clean my cobs, I usually just scrape them out with a q-tip, and every third bowl smoked, I will clean with Jim Beam. There may be some slight charring, but I never get any noticeable buildup. I've never tried putting honey inside my cobs, because I have always heard you can't build a cake, so no use trying. Even on the MM website, I remember reading that you should save your honey for your bisquits and not waste it on your cob. :scratch:

I routinely everclear-wipe out the bowls of my cobs to prevent cake buildup. Seems to work alright. *shrug*

Cobs are very low density, compared to briar. For that reason I think they tend to make everything smoke milder and lighter. They draw air through all parts of the bowl. Good for smoking very strong blends you want to tame. Don't really know of anything you should avoid in them except for some very hot burning cuts/blends.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sbUPKISh9ms" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dutch":8n5pjr1v said:
tiltjlp":8n5pjr1v said:
Dutch":8n5pjr1v said:

You can easily build cake in a cob, although I advise against it. You might want to read my Corncob Primer.

John, I'm not challenging your statement, just trying to understand.

Inside the bowls of my cobs, there are rows of vertical indentions, which are the natural shape of the cob. When I clean my cobs, I usually just scrape them out with a q-tip, and every third bowl smoked, I will clean with Jim Beam. There may be some slight charring, but I never get any noticeable buildup. I've never tried putting honey inside my cobs, because I have always heard you can't build a cake, so no use trying. Even on the MM website, I remember reading that you should save your honey for your bisquits and not waste it on your cob. :scratch:

What you're doing is what is preventing cake buildup. Scraping with a Q-Tip and using Jim Beam is perfect. In my opinion, you should avoid cake buildup, to avoid ghosting. And yes, leave the honey for your biscuits.

You know how certain books are good enough for a re-read because you gain something from them each time?

JP's cob primer is one of those. About once every couple of months I read that thing, and I'm glad I do.

8)

I recently picked up a cob for the pool. Figure if I dropped it in the pool while floating around I won't freak out. My first cob and pleasantly surprised how well it smoked. I have done both Dunhilll Nightcap and Dunhill Royal Yacht. Both were wonderful!

May pick up a few more cobs to keep in reserve in case the bourbon or Sailor Jerry's causes some accident.

GeoffC":dn8gvfyp said:
I recently picked up a cob for the pool. Figure if I dropped it in the pool while floating around I won't freak out. My first cob and pleasantly surprised how well it smoked. I have done both Dunhilll Nightcap and Dunhill Royal Yacht. Both were wonderful!

May pick up a few more cobs to keep in reserve in case the bourbon or Sailor Jerry's causes some accident.
Dropped a cob from my kayak while trout fishing on a lake. Landed a fish, pipe fell in. Secured the fish, paddled over to the floating cob, netted that too--a day of drying, all was well. I still can't tell the difference, and I still have the pipe. 8)

I've been smoking a pipe for 45 years and have 10 cobs. I always let my cobs cake just like my briars and have never had a problem with any of them. To me a cob smokes a lot better with a cake than it does without it. I keep the cake thin so I'll have room for tobacco. I have two pipes with no cakes in them and they're both clays. To each his own I rekkin.