Codger blend -- Granger

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinM

Reaction score
You know how tobacco reviews often struggle to ID the topping on Granger? Usually it's described as berry something. In a serendipitous moment, I lit up a bowl of Mac B Plumcake on the same day I had some Granger. I'd say it's the same topping on both tobaccos, though considerably lighter on the PC. My palette isn't the most sensitive at this late stage, but so it seems to me FWIW.

Also, I do sometimes enjoy a tasty bowl of Erinmore Flake folded and stuffed in my MM Country Gent. Sometimes it takes persistence to get the works started. Tonight, while watching my maple trees shed leaves, I added a pinch of always cooperative Granger as tinder to the top of a bowl of Erinmore Flake and -- Voila! -- I only needed one relight halfway through. Tasted pretty darn good, too. It would have been perfect out there if the the temp had been 20 degrees warmer.

I think of Granger as THE codger blend, because I once had an official codger recommend it. In my early youth I found myself wandering around Alaska in an old International Scout. Somewhere north of Fairbanks I finished a box of Phillies Panatelas (do they still exist?) and decided I wanted a pipe. I went into a general store type of place owned and run by a white-haired, white-bearded old prospector type, and after selecting a Kaywoodie dublin off a cardboard display I asked what he recommended I smoke in it. He pushed the small blue Granger box across the counter and said, "For me, this is the only one." I took it and his advice and it tasted great. Especially after the stogies.

codger10.jpg
" />

w

Well remembered, Richard. Part of the unique appeal of smoking pipes, I think, is that they're so strongly connected with so many great memories.

It always tasted a little like prunes to me with a great earthy burley base. It was my grandfather's goto, and I like it too. When you could still get pouches, I thought they tasted better than the tubs.